Momentums, Ladder against a wall force

In summary, the problem involves calculating the moment of a uniform ladder about a given point, Y, using the equation Moment = Force * Distance moved. The exact location of W is not known, but its position can be determined by considering the ladder's uniformity.
Mukilab

Homework Statement

http://www.physics.ox.ac.uk/olympiad/Downloads/PastPapers/BPhO_PC_2008_QP.pdf

Question 6

Homework Equations

Moment = Force * Distance moved

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried this and I am sorry to say that I have no idea how to work it out. I think it is something to do with moments but the centre of gravity is not about a pivot so I don't if I should still reference Y from W. Furthermore, since the exact location of W is not known, I can't just use pythagoras to find the distance of Y from W.

Any help would be great, thank you very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Mukilab! :smile:
Mukilab said:
I think it is something to do with moments but the centre of gravity is not about a pivot so I don't if I should still reference Y from W.

uhh? :confused: The question tells you to take moments about Y.

Get on with it!
Furthermore, since the exact location of W is not known, I can't just use pythagoras to find the distance of Y from W.

Read the question … it's a "uniform ladder", meaning that it's the same all the way along

so W will be in the middle! :wink:

FAQ: Momentums, Ladder against a wall force

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion, calculated by multiplying its mass by its velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is momentum related to force?

Momentum and force are directly proportional to each other. According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, force is equal to the change in momentum over time. This means that the greater the force applied to an object, the greater the change in its momentum.

3. Can momentum be transferred between objects?

Yes, momentum can be transferred between objects through collisions or interactions. In a collision, the total momentum of the system remains constant, but it may be redistributed among the objects involved.

4. What is the ladder against a wall force?

The ladder against a wall force is the force that is exerted on a ladder when it is leaning against a wall. This force is due to the weight of the ladder and the gravitational pull of the Earth.

5. How can the ladder against a wall force affect momentum?

The ladder against a wall force can affect momentum by either increasing or decreasing it. If the ladder is stationary against the wall, the force will not change its momentum. However, if the ladder is moving, the force can either accelerate or decelerate its momentum, depending on the direction and magnitude of the force.