Monotonicity of the ratio of two power series

You are right though. If you can show that, for each ##k##, the quotient of two polynomials with positive coefficients is monotonically increasing, then you can use induction to show that the quotient of two polynomials with positive coefficients and degree ##k## is monotonic. Extend this to a finite polynomial and you are done.
longshadow
I'm thinking about the following function, which is a ratio of two finite power series. I'm trying to prove the monotonicity of this function, for arbitrary K.
[tex]\frac{\sum_{j=0}^k [(at)^j/j!]}{\sum_{j=0}^k [(bt)^j/j!]}[/tex], and [tex]a>b>0, t>0[/tex]
I know that if k goes to infinity, the function becomes an exponential func. which is increasing in the domain [itex]t \in [0,\infty][/itex]. That is easy. But I'm wondering if this statement is true for arbitrary K.

Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

First off, the polynomials in your function are called partial sums rather than finite power series.

Let ##p(t)=\sum_{j=0}^{k}\frac{t^j}{j!}##. Then your function is ##\frac{p(at)}{p(bt)}##. We're going to replace ##t## with ##\frac{t}{b}## to get ##\frac{p(ct)}{p(t)}## with ##c=a/b>1##. Now we will examine the simplified function by taking the derivative and letting ##k>0##.

Note that ##p^{\prime}(t)=p(t)-\frac{t^k}{k!}##.

##\frac{d}{dt}\frac{p(ct)}{p(t)}=\frac{cp^{\prime}(ct)p(t)-p(ct)p^{\prime}(t)}{p(t)^2}##

Since ##p(t)## has no negative coefficients, it is positive for ##t>0##. So the denominator is positive. The numerator simplifies as

##cp^{\prime}(ct)[p^{\prime}(t)+\frac{t^k}{k!}]-[p^{\prime}(ct)+\frac{(ct)^k}{k!}]p^{\prime}(t)=(c-1)p^{\prime}(ct)p^{\prime}(t)+\frac{t^k}{k!}[cp^{\prime}(ct)-c^kp^{\prime}(t)]##

The first term is positive because ##k>0## and ##c>1##. The second term is then of interest. I believe the second term is always negative for ##t>0## from looking at the powers of ##c##. If you can show that the second term is never more negative than the first term is positive, then you are done.

Hope this helps. This problem bugs me in a good way. Thank you for sharing it. If I get more then I'll post.

thank you for your reply! I'll see if I can get any new result.

Another way I've tried is:
1. Still working on the function in my original post, both the numerator(N) and the denominator(D) are positive, and when ##t=0##, both N and D equal to one. So they have the same starting point.
2. When we take the ##i##th derivative, we can see that for all ##t##, the ##i##th derivative of N is always larger than the ##i##th derivative of D. This is hold for all ##i <k##. So N always ''accelerates'' faster than D.
3. When ##i>k##, both the ##i##th derivatives of N and D are zero.

I feel that combining the above facts, we should be able to conclude that this function is monotonically increasing, but I cannot figure out how to prove it in a rigorous way.

Looking forward to more discussion with you!

With that line of thinking, consider this:
##\frac{p(ct)}{p(t)}=\frac{p^{\prime}(ct)+\frac{(ct)^k}{k!}}{p^{\prime}(t)+\frac{t^k}{k!}}##
It illustrates your point number 2. But I don't think it immediately finishes things.

Related to Monotonicity of the ratio of two power series

What is the definition of monotonicity?

Monotonicity refers to the property of a function or sequence to either always increase or always decrease as its input or index increases.

What is a power series?

A power series is an infinite series of the form ∑n=0 an xn, where an is a sequence of coefficients and x is the variable.

What does it mean for a power series to be monotonic?

A power series is monotonic if its coefficients either always increase or always decrease as the index increases.

How do you determine the monotonicity of the ratio of two power series?

The ratio of two power series is monotonic if the ratio of the coefficients of the two series is either always increasing or always decreasing as the index increases.

Why is the monotonicity of the ratio of two power series important in mathematics?

The monotonicity of the ratio of two power series can provide insights into the behavior and convergence of the series, which is important in various mathematical applications such as calculus, differential equations, and probability.