'Moon rock' in Dutch museum is just petrified wood

• Thread starter Borg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rock Wood
In summary, there is a controversy in the Netherlands over a moon rock that was acquired by a museum from former prime minister Willem Drees. The rock, which was believed to be a piece of the moon, was actually just a piece of petrified wood and is worth only €50. The rock was originally given as a gift to Drees from the US ambassador and was acquired by the museum without any doubts about its authenticity. However, some are questioning the validity of the rock's origins and whether it is truly a piece of the moon.
Borg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090827/ap_on_re_eu/eu_netherlands_not_moon_rock_3" :smile:

http://d.yimg.com/a/p/ap/20090827/capt.97a493bc80a74af8bd49d6f1c24f68b3.netherlands_not_moon_rock_ams101.jpg?x=384&y=345&q=85&sig=.9mO0od3hiEuR5gaWQ_m0g--

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You mean there were once trees growing on the moon?

He said it was worth no more than 50 ($70).

Hm, nothing against having a bunch of such worthless stones. Dozen makes a nice lens for my camera :wink:

Last edited:
The museum acquired the rock from ... prime minister Willem Drees . Drees received it as a private gift .. from then-U.S. ambassador J. William Middendorf.
Middendorf, .. had gotten it from the U.S. State Department

"Apparently no one thought to doubt it, since it came from the prime minister's collection,"
A politician got it from another politician who got it from the goernment - so nobody doubted it ?
Things must be very different in Dutch politics!

$70 for a piece of petrified wood? I must be incredibly wealthy!

turbo-1 said:
$70 for a piece of petrified wood? I must be incredibly wealthy!

You're wealthy? I have an entire hillside and creek bed sprinkled with moon rocks!

IvanRocks.com. Yeah, I like it.

Are you they sure that it's petrified wood? Looks more to me like something that would have caused hemorrhoids in a T-Rex.

Related to 'Moon rock' in Dutch museum is just petrified wood

1. What is the significance of the "Moon rock" in the Dutch museum?

The "Moon rock" in the Dutch museum was thought to be a piece of petrified wood from the moon, but it was later discovered to be a piece of petrified wood from Earth. This discovery challenges previous beliefs about the existence of moon rocks on Earth and raises questions about how the wood became petrified.

2. How was it determined that the "Moon rock" is actually just petrified wood?

The "Moon rock" was analyzed using various scientific techniques, including X-ray diffraction and mass spectrometry, which revealed that it has the same composition as petrified wood found on Earth. This confirmed that the rock was not from the moon, but rather from our planet.

3. Was this discovery a surprise to the scientific community?

Yes, this discovery was unexpected and surprising to the scientific community. For decades, the rock was believed to be a genuine moon rock and was displayed as such in the Dutch museum. It was only through advanced scientific analysis that the truth was revealed.

4. Are there any other "moon rocks" that have turned out to be something else?

Yes, there have been several instances where purported moon rocks were later found to be something else. In 2009, a sample given to the Honduras president by Apollo 11 astronauts was found to be a piece of petrified wood. Additionally, many countries have been found to have fake moon rocks in their possession, often given as gifts from the U.S. government.

5. What does this discovery mean for our understanding of the moon and its geology?

This discovery challenges previous beliefs about the existence of moon rocks on Earth and raises questions about how the wood became petrified. It also highlights the importance of thorough scientific analysis and the potential for human error in the identification of rare and valuable specimens. Ultimately, this discovery does not change our understanding of the moon's geology, but it does remind us to approach scientific claims with a critical eye.