More Combinatorial Fun: Evaluating Sums

• MHB
  • Thread starter MarkFL
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fun
In summary, the given sum is evaluated using the formula Sn = Σ(k=0 to n) (1/(k+1) * n choose k). After discussing a more elegant method for solving it, it is determined that the FTOC was not applied correctly. The correct solution is 2/(n+1) - 1/(n+1) = 1/(n+1). The conversation then moves on to discussing a pre-calculus solution.
MarkFL
Gold Member
MHB
Evaluate the given sum:

\(\displaystyle S_n=\sum_{k=0}^n\left(\frac{1}{k+1}{n \choose k} \right)\)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
MarkFL said:
Evaluate the given sum:

\(\displaystyle S_n=\sum_{k=0}^n\left(\frac{1}{k+1}{n \choose k} \right)\)
The integral of the binomial expansion of $(1+x)^n$ from $x=0$ to $1$ is the required sum. Thus $\int_{0}^1(1+x)^ndx=S_n$. This gives $S_n=\left.\frac{(x+1)^{n+1}}{n+1}\right|_{0}^1= \frac{2}{n} -\frac{1}{n}$.

caffeinemachine said:
The integral of the binomial expansion of $(1+x)^n$ from $x=0$ to $1$ is the required sum. Thus $\int_{0}^1(1+x)^ndx=S_n$. This gives $S_n=\left.\frac{(x+1)^{n+1}}{n+1}\right|_{0}^1= \frac{2}{n} -\frac{1}{n}$.

While this is an very straightforward method (much more elegant than my pre-calculus approach), your end result is incorrect, but only because you did not apply the FTOC correctly. :D

MarkFL said:
While this is an very straightforward method (much more elegant than my pre-calculus approach), your end result is incorrect, but only because you did not apply the FTOC correctly. :D
Ah.. I see. I should get $\frac{2}{n+1} - \frac{1}{n+1} = \frac{1}{n+1}$. Where have I committed a mistake? I cannot find it. :eek:

And what was your solution. I'd be interested in a pre-calculus solution.

caffeinemachine said:
Ah.. I see. I should get $\frac{2}{n+1} - \frac{1}{n+1} = \frac{1}{n+1}$. Where have I committed a mistake? I cannot find it. :eek:

And what was your solution. I'd be interested in a pre-calculus solution.

You should get:

\(\displaystyle S_n=\left.\frac{(x+1)^{n+1}}{n+1}\right|_{0}^1= \frac{(1+1)^{n+1}}{n+1}-\frac{(0+1)^{n+1}}{n+1}=\frac{2^{n+1}-1}{n+1}\)

I will post my solution soon, but I want to give others a chance to post their solutions first. (Sun)

MarkFL said:
You should get:

\(\displaystyle S_n=\left.\frac{(x+1)^{n+1}}{n+1}\right|_{0}^1= \frac{(1+1)^{n+1}}{n+1}-\frac{(0+1)^{n+1}}{n+1}=\frac{2^{n+1}-1}{n+1}\)

I will post my solution soon, but I want to give others a chance to post their solutions first. (Sun)
haha. I wasn't doing the algebra right. How silly of me.

Should use MarkFL’s solution approach ( he had solved a problem in this approach)

(nCk)/(k+1) = n!/(k! * (n-k)!) * (k+1) = 1/(n+1) ( n+ 1 C k+1)

So sum (nCk)/(k+1) = 1/(n+1) (sum (n+1 C k) - (n+1 C 0))
= 1/(n+1) (sum (n+1Ck) - 1)
= 1/(n+1) ( 2^(n+1) – 1)

Here's my solution:

Using the binomial theorem, we may state:

\(\displaystyle 2^{n+1}=(1+1)^{n+1}=\sum_{k=0}^{n+1}{n+1 \choose k}\)

Next, apply the identities:

\(\displaystyle {n \choose 0}=1\)

\(\displaystyle {n+1 \choose r}=\frac{n+1}{r}{n \choose r-1}\)

and so we have:

\(\displaystyle 2^{n+1}=1+(n+1)\sum_{k=1}^{n+1}\left(\frac{1}{k}{n \choose k-1} \right)\)

Subtracting through by $1$ and re-indexing the sum, we have:

\(\displaystyle 2^{n+1}-1=(n+1)\sum_{k=0}^{n}\left(\frac{1}{k+1}{n \choose k} \right)\)

Dividing through by $n+1$ and using \(\displaystyle S_n=\sum_{k=0}^n\left(\frac{1}{k+1}{n \choose k} \right)\) we find:

\(\displaystyle S_n=\frac{2^{n+1}-1}{n+1}\)

FAQ: More Combinatorial Fun: Evaluating Sums

1. What is the purpose of evaluating sums in combinatorics?

The purpose of evaluating sums in combinatorics is to find the total number of possible outcomes or arrangements of a set of objects. This is useful in solving various problems in mathematics, computer science, and other fields.

2. How do you evaluate a sum in combinatorics?

To evaluate a sum in combinatorics, you need to identify the pattern or rule that relates the terms in the sum. Then, you can use various techniques such as algebraic manipulation, counting principles, and generating functions to simplify the sum and find a closed-form solution.

3. What are some common techniques used for evaluating sums in combinatorics?

Some common techniques used for evaluating sums in combinatorics include the binomial theorem, the principle of inclusion-exclusion, and the method of generating functions. These techniques can be applied to different types of sums, such as arithmetic, geometric, and binomial sums.

4. Can evaluating sums in combinatorics be applied to real-life problems?

Yes, evaluating sums in combinatorics can be applied to real-life problems in various fields such as statistics, economics, and computer science. For example, it can be used to calculate the probability of certain events, analyze the performance of algorithms, and optimize resource allocation.

5. What are some tips for simplifying sums in combinatorics?

Some tips for simplifying sums in combinatorics include identifying common terms, using algebraic identities, and breaking down complex sums into simpler ones. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of the properties and formulas of combinatorial numbers, such as factorials, combinations, and permutations.