More old material planes, normal and parallel vectors

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a unit vector perpendicular to a given plane and a vector parallel to the plane. The solution involves setting up equations and solving for the desired vectors. The result is confirmed to be correct.
1MileCrash

Homework Statement

Consider z = -3x - y + 11

Find a unit vector perpendicular to the plane, and find a vector parallel to the plane.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1.)

0 = -3x - y + 11 - z
-11 = - 3x - y - z

Perpendicular vector is then:

-3i -j -k

And to make that a unit vector, divide it by sqrt(11)

2.)

Here's what I'm not sure of. Can I just pick anything that gives me a dot product of 0 with the above?

Such that:

- 3a - b - c = 0?

Choosing a = -3, b = 5, c = 4,

A parallel vector to the plane is -3i + 5j + 4k?

Or is that incorrect?

Physics news on Phys.org
It is all correct.

Thank you sir.

FAQ: More old material planes, normal and parallel vectors

1. What is the significance of studying old material planes?

The study of old material planes allows us to understand the evolution and development of different materials over time. It also provides insights into the history of our planet and the changes that have occurred.

2. How do normal vectors differ from parallel vectors?

Normal vectors are perpendicular to a surface, while parallel vectors are in the same direction as the surface. In terms of old material planes, normal vectors can indicate the direction of change or erosion, while parallel vectors can show the direction of movement or deposition.

3. What can we learn from studying parallel vectors in old material planes?

By studying parallel vectors, we can gain insights into past geological processes such as plate tectonics, erosion, and sedimentation. This information can help us understand how these processes have shaped our planet and may continue to do so in the future.

4. How do scientists determine the age of old material planes?

There are various methods for determining the age of old material planes, including radiometric dating, which measures the decay of radioactive elements, and stratigraphy, which analyzes the layers and sequences of rocks and sediments. These methods can provide a timeline of events and changes in a material plane.

5. How are normal and parallel vectors used in geological mapping?

Normal and parallel vectors are essential tools in geological mapping as they can help identify and characterize different features and formations in old material planes. By understanding the direction and magnitude of these vectors, scientists can create accurate maps and models of the Earth's surface and subsurface.