More Things in the Sky: What are They?

• Thread starter Gokul43201
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sky
In summary: And secondly, it's not a mythological place, it's an actual place in space. As for the rest of the questions, I'll leave it up to the Google-savvy ones.In summary, this heavenly body was named after a Roman Goddess that is said to have secretly gotten cozy with Jupiter, and a dangerous distance from planetary center is called the Roche limit. Astronomer Royal was rightfully a broad-shouldered giant, but would probably have wanted no part of that association. The amateur British astronomer who discovered 5 comets and 5 novae died recently. The secret to his success was simple, and simply amazing! He had memorized the positions and patterns of thousands upon thousands of celestial objects.
NoTime said:
It's nice to know that we have a choice of Hells.:biggrin:
:smile: That's really important, because I've been to the one in MI, and then started wondering what people tell their kids when they're bad there..."You're going to go to Hell if you do that!" "Yeah, Mom, that's where we live." But, if you've ever seen Hell, MI, you'd be scared straight with the threat of spending eternity there too. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
Any theme.
Okay, I think I'll do a Science Trivia quiz next. I'll have to go over the old threads to make sure I don't repeat something I've done before.

For completeness, here's the answers for all the questions.1. This heavenly body - the first of its kind to be discovered - was named after a Roman Goddess that is said to have secretly gotten cozy with Jupiter. Name it.

(1) Ceres - the largest and first discovered asteroid in the SS. (neutrino)

2. This nearly 3,000-mile wide dark band separates A and B. What is the band called?

The Cassini Division - the region between Saturn's Ring A and Ring B. (Astronuc)

3. A distance from planetary center of about 1.2 times the planet's diameter is a dangerous place for its moon to get to. What is this critical distance called?

The Roche limit (George) - [PS : This one was tricky to Google-proof, but finally I figured the trick that did it : change radius to diameter and 2.4 to 1.2 :biggrin: ]

4. This Astronomer Royal was rightfully a broad-shouldered giant, but would probably have wanted no part of that association. Who?

John Flamsteed - First Astronomer Royal; a contemporary of Newton and Halley. (MIH)

5. Easy one. Complete the missing parts of the sequence : O _ A _ G _ M
And for a bonus point, throw in the missing members of the lesser known series W _ _ C _ D

OBAFGKM and WLTC(RN)SD - spectral types of the more common and less common stars. (DaveC)

6. I've been told that Hell is actually located at about 32S 8W and is only 20 miles across. If I started from say, Orlando, Florida (USA), roughly how far will I have to travel before I can proclaim that I'm in Hell?

About 24,000mi or 38,000km - Hell is a Lunar crater, located at the specified lunar co-ordinates. (George)

7. This amateur British astronomer who discovered 5 comets and 5 novae died recently. The secret to his success was simple, and simply amazing! He had memorized the positions and patterns of thousands upon thousands of celestial objects. When something came along that wasn't in his head, there was a reasonably good chance that it hadn't been discovered yet.

Who is this astronomical wizard who did what no one could have imagined possible under cloudy British skies?

George Alcock (hellraiser)

8. Fill in the missing pair of words:
That errant gang
And their ___ ___
Why aid them and abet them?

Big Bang - from a poem by Barbara and George Gamow (neutrino)

Last edited:
Evo said:
Marlon promised one on classical music.
That's interesting. In another message board that I frequent we are playing "30 Questions" on classical compositions. The one who guess correctly gets to start the next 30Q (as we would like to call it). Maybe we could start something similar (scientists, maybe?). But given the number of participants on PF, the game should be renamed 50 Questions or 100 Questions. :biggrin:

Evo said:
Marlon promised one on classical music.

I've almost finsihed a classical music quiz ... that is, a quiz on classic rock/pop.

My quiz will be on (hopefully at least) slightly esoteric aspects of a few Beatles songs. Today, after I finish some real work, I'll work on the finishing touches.

Evo said:
More quizzes! :approve:

How 'bout one on football? I mean real football! :biggrin:

Astronuc said:
How 'bout one on football? I mean real football! :biggrin:

George Jones said:
I've almost finsihed a classical music quiz ... that is, a quiz on classic rock/pop.
Great, can't wait to see it.

George Jones said:

My quiz will be on (hopefully at least) slightly esoteric aspects of a few Beatles songs. Today, after I finish some real work, I'll work on the finishing touches.
Cool!

I won't have my next quiz until sometime during the weekend.

Why are you looking me like that? What did I say? :cool: o:)

Moonbear said:
:smile: That's really important, because I've been to the one in MI, and then started wondering what people tell their kids when they're bad there..."You're going to go to Hell if you do that!" "Yeah, Mom, that's where we live." But, if you've ever seen Hell, MI, you'd be scared straight with the threat of spending eternity there too. :smile:
:smile: You've been to Hell and back :smile:

You really have to wonder at the mindset of someone who gets to a place, names it Hell, then settles into start a town.:smile:

Back