Morphisms of Addition for Z6->Z3

• Thread starter Ecoi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Algebra
In summary, the student attempted to find all the morphisms of addition for Z6 -> Z3, but was not able to do so due to a lack of understanding of thegroup concept. He eventually came to a solution by writing down the definition and doing examples.
Ecoi

Homework Statement

List all morphisms of addition for Z6 -> Z3. (integers mod 6 to integers mod 3)

Homework Equations

Definition of morphism in text:

A morphism f:(X,*) -> (X',*') is defined to be a function on X to X' which carries the operation * on X into the operation *' on X', in the sense that

f(x*y)=(fx)*'(fy)

for all x,y in X.

A morphism of addition is where * and *' are operations of addition.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been working ahead in my class and I'm just not sure I found all the morphisms and for some reason I had trouble with this. I can do the proofs later on in the exercises though..., so I think I'm okay with the definition of a morphism...

The only function that comes to mind that satisfies what was required above is f:Z6->Z3 defined by:

f(x) = remainder after division by 3.

I can't seem to really be certain that this is the only one though or if there are others. If it is the only one, then what if I Z3=X and Z6=X'. That is, f:Z3 -> Z6. If it isn't the only one, what approach could I employ to find it?

What I did was simply write down the definition and do a few examples to see what jumped out at me to define f as.

Thanks!

Edit:
The book hasn't covered groups yet, so I don't know. And I don't know why I didn't go through the individual options, haha. Okay, I'll try looking at it that way.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
OK, first of all I'll assume you mean morphisms of groups here.

Here is a method how to find all the morphisms in this case:
1) What must f(0) be??
2) What possibilities can f(1) have??
3) What does the choice of f(1) mean for f(2), f(3), etc. ??
4) Does the choice of f(1) leave us with a well-defined morphism?? I.e. does f(6)=f(0)=?? Does f(3+3)=f(3)+f(3)?? Etc.

Ahhhhh. Okay. Haven't finished yet, but I think I see how to reason it through now by my scratch work now. Thank you!

FAQ: Morphisms of Addition for Z6->Z3

1. What is a morphism of addition?

A morphism of addition is a mathematical function that preserves the addition operation between two sets. In other words, when two elements from the first set are added together and the result is mapped to the second set, the same result is obtained as when the elements from the second set are added directly.

2. How does a morphism of addition work for Z6 and Z3?

In the case of Z6 and Z3, both sets are cyclic groups of integers with addition modulo 6 and 3 respectively. A morphism of addition between these two sets would map the elements of Z6 to equivalent elements in Z3, preserving the addition operation.

3. What are the properties of a morphism of addition for Z6 and Z3?

A morphism of addition for Z6 and Z3 must satisfy the following properties:

• The identity element of Z6 must be mapped to the identity element of Z3.
  • The inverse of an element in Z6 must be mapped to the inverse of the equivalent element in Z3.
  • The result of adding two elements in Z6 must be mapped to the result of adding the equivalent elements in Z3.

4. How can a morphism of addition be represented mathematically?

A morphism of addition between Z6 and Z3 can be represented as a function f: Z6 -> Z3, where f(a+b) = f(a) + f(b) for any elements a and b in Z6. This means that the function must preserve the addition operation between the two sets.

5. What is an example of a morphism of addition for Z6 and Z3?

An example of a morphism of addition between Z6 and Z3 is the function f(x) = x mod 3. This function maps the elements of Z6 to their equivalent values in Z3, preserving the addition operation. For example, f(2+3) = f(5) = 2 = f(2) + f(3).

Back