MOS capacitance when Vgs is negative

In summary, when Vgs goes negative in an NMOS, the MOS capacitance (Cgs+Cgd) decreases due to the depletion mode, where the channel is full of holes and the Cox capacitance is in series with Cgb. However, if Vgs is decreased even further, the device enters the accumulation mode and the capacitance increases back to its value in the inversion mode.
iVenky
I have a question on what happens to MOS capacitance Cgs+Cgd, when Vgs goes negative in the NMOS shown. I see that when Vgs goes negative, the channel is full of holes because of p- substrate, which means we see the Cox capacitance (without any other capacitance in series), but I am not sure if this is between Cgs (or Cgd) or Cgb. My intuition says it's between Cgb, but if that's the case, then there is no capacitance between Cgs (or Cgd), ignoring the overlap capacitance.
Attached the figure here

https://imgur.com/a/LPlIcKX

Engineering news on Phys.org
iVenky said:
I have a question on what happens to MOS capacitance Cgs+Cgd, when Vgs goes negative in the NMOS shown. I see that when Vgs goes negative, the channel is full of holes because of p- substrate, which means we see the Cox capacitance (without any other capacitance in series), but I am not sure if this is between Cgs (or Cgd) or Cgb. My intuition says it's between Cgb, but if that's the case, then there is no capacitance between Cgs (or Cgd), ignoring the overlap capacitance.
Attached the figure here

https://imgur.com/a/LPlIcKX
The capacitance (between gate and source/drain) of NMOS in depletion is reduced because no channel mean Cgb is in series with Csb+Cdb.
with negative voltage, the capacitance is limited by Csb+Cdb, and reverse proportional to square root of voltage between gate and drain/source - because of depletion regions forming around source/drain

Actually when you apply a small negative voltage to the gate the device enters a depletion mode and in that mode what Trurle said is true. But then if you decease the Vgs even lower the device enter the accumulation mode and the gate-bulk capacitance increases again back to the same value that it had in the inversion mode (when Vgs>Vth). In the accumulation mode in the first approximation (neglecting the channel resistance) the drain and source are shorted through the low-resistance of the channel so all capacitors Cgb, Cgd and Cgs are connected in parallel. In a more accurate approximation you have a distributed RC-network across the channel.

Related to MOS capacitance when Vgs is negative

What is MOS capacitance when Vgs is negative?

MOS capacitance is the capacitance of a metal-oxide-semiconductor (MOS) structure when the gate-to-source voltage (Vgs) is negative. It is a measure of the ability of the MOS structure to store charge when a negative voltage is applied to the gate.

How does MOS capacitance change when Vgs is negative?

When Vgs is negative, the MOS capacitance decreases. This is because the negative voltage on the gate repels holes in the semiconductor, reducing the amount of charge that can be stored in the MOS structure.

What is the significance of MOS capacitance when Vgs is negative?

The MOS capacitance when Vgs is negative is important in understanding the behavior of MOS devices. It affects the threshold voltage and the capacitance-voltage characteristics of the device, which in turn impact its performance and operation.

How is MOS capacitance when Vgs is negative measured?

MOS capacitance when Vgs is negative can be measured using a capacitance-voltage (C-V) measurement. This involves applying a small AC voltage to the gate and measuring the resulting current. The MOS capacitance can then be calculated from the measured current and the known voltage.

Can MOS capacitance be positive when Vgs is negative?

No, MOS capacitance cannot be positive when Vgs is negative. This is because the negative voltage on the gate repels holes in the semiconductor, preventing the accumulation of positive charge in the MOS structure. Therefore, the MOS capacitance will always be negative when Vgs is negative.