MOS Cascode Amp: Find the early voltage and channel length

In summary: VA/IDS1) = (5*L)/IDS1Solving for L, we get:L = 2 VATherefore, in summary, we can conclude that in order for the cascade transistor to raise the output resistance by a factor of 40, it must have an output resistance of 10 times the previous stage and a length of 2 VA.
tquiva
Problem: In a MOS cascade amplifier, the cascade transistor is required to raise the output resistance by a factor of 40. If the transistor is operated at VOV = 0.2 V, what must its VA be? If the process technology specifies V'A = 5 V/μm, what channel length must the transistor have?

Given:
VOV = 0.2 V, VA = ?
V'A = 5 V/μm, L = ?

Known:
ro = VA/IDS = (V'A*L)/(IDS)
==> L = (ro*IDS)/(V'A)
==> V'A = IDS*ro

gm = (2*IDS)/(VOV) where IDS = (1/2)*μn*Cox*(W/L)*VOV2

My Approach:
From the known equations, I have derived the equations needed to obtain VA and L. The unknown variables needed are:
IDS, then gm, then ro, which all then give me the values for VA and L with the derived equations.

However, I just realized that in order to obtain IDS with the equation above, I would need μn*Cox*(W/L), which in this case seems unobtainable. Could someone please help me? I'm doing something wrong but I just can't seem to figure it out.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for bringing this problem to our attention. I can see that you have already made some progress in deriving the equations needed to solve for VA and L. However, you are correct in realizing that you are missing some information in order to obtain IDS and therefore, the values for VA and L.

In order to solve this problem, we need to use the fact that the cascade transistor is required to raise the output resistance by a factor of 40. This means that the output resistance of the cascade transistor (ro) must be 40 times greater than the output resistance of the previous stage. We can use this information to relate the values of ro for each stage in the cascade amplifier.

First, let's define the output resistance of the previous stage as ro1 and the output resistance of the cascade transistor as ro2. We know that ro2 must be 40 times greater than ro1, so we can write the following equation:

ro2 = 40*ro1

Next, we can use the fact that the output resistance of a MOS transistor is given by ro = VA/IDS. We can rewrite this equation as:

IDS = VA/ro

Now, we can substitute this equation into the equation for ro2, giving us:

ro2 = 40*(VA/IDS)

We also know that the transistor is operated at VOV = 0.2 V, so we can use this to solve for IDS. From the given equation for IDS, we can see that IDS is directly proportional to VOV2. This means that if we know the value of IDS for a certain VOV, we can easily calculate the value of IDS for a different VOV using the following equation:

IDS2 = IDS1*(VOV2/VOV1)2

In this case, we know that VOV1 = 0.2 V and VOV2 = 0.4 V, so we can use this equation to calculate IDS2:

IDS2 = IDS1*(0.4/0.2)2 = 4*IDS1

Now, we can substitute this value for IDS2 into the equation for ro2, giving us:

ro2 = 40*(VA/4*IDS1) = 10*(VA/IDS1)

Finally, we can use the equation for ro = (V'A*L)/IDS to solve for L. Substituting in the values for ro2 and V'A

Related to MOS Cascode Amp: Find the early voltage and channel length

1. What is a MOS cascode amplifier?

A MOS cascode amplifier is a type of amplifier circuit that uses a combination of a common source and common gate MOSFET configuration to provide a high gain, low input and output impedance, and improved linearity.

2. How do I find the early voltage of a MOS cascode amplifier?

The early voltage of a MOS cascode amplifier can be found by measuring the output voltage and varying the input voltage until the output voltage reaches 63.2% of its maximum value. The input voltage at this point is the early voltage.

3. What is the significance of the early voltage in a MOS cascode amplifier?

The early voltage represents the point at which the output current starts to saturate and deviate from the ideal exponential relationship with the input voltage. It is an important parameter for determining the linearity and gain of the amplifier.

4. How do I calculate the channel length of a MOS cascode amplifier?

The channel length of a MOS cascode amplifier can be calculated by dividing the early voltage by the transconductance of the MOSFET. The transconductance can be found in the manufacturer's datasheet or measured experimentally.

5. What are the benefits of using a cascode amplifier?

A cascode amplifier offers several benefits such as high gain, low input and output impedance, improved linearity, and reduced distortion. It also allows for better control of the output voltage and current, making it suitable for applications that require high precision and stability.