Mosfets & Resistance: How Does Vgs = Vds?

• Thread starter photonxyz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resistance
In summary, the individual is trying to understand Mosfets and is intrigued by them. However, they are confused about how Vgs can equal Vds if the mosfet itself has resistance. They mention a specific example where Vout equals 15 volts even though the top mosfet has a resistance of 5k ohms. They also mention the need for a diagram to fully understand the concept. The expert suggests that if there is no current flowing in a resistor, there won't be a voltage across it, which may help to answer the individual's question.
photonxyz
This isn't a homework question... I'm just trying to understand Mosfets in general. I've been reading about them, and I find them really interesting- very cool. However, I don't understand how the Vgs = Vds if the mosfet itself has resistance!? For example, I found this in a text and I fail to understand how Vout can equal 15 volts if the top mosfet has a resistance of 5k ohms.

Engineering news on Phys.org
That looks pretty mysterious.

If you are going to refer to a diagram, you need to include the diagram or redraw it and include that.

Generally, though, you probably know that if there is no current flowing in a resistor, there won't be a voltage across it. This seemed to answer what you were asking, but it is hard to be sure without a diagram.

Related to Mosfets & Resistance: How Does Vgs = Vds?

What is a Mosfet?

A Mosfet (metal-oxide-semiconductor field-effect transistor) is a type of transistor that is commonly used in electronic devices to amplify or switch electronic signals. It is made up of three layers of material: the source, gate, and drain, and operates by controlling the flow of electrons between the source and drain.

What is resistance?

Resistance is the measure of an object's ability to impede the flow of electrical current. It is measured in ohms (Ω) and is dependent on the material and dimensions of the object. Objects with high resistance will impede the flow of current more than objects with low resistance.

How does Vgs = Vds in a Mosfet?

In a Mosfet, Vgs (gate-to-source voltage) and Vds (drain-to-source voltage) are equal when the transistor is in its saturation region. This means that the voltage applied to the gate is sufficient to create a conducting channel between the source and drain, allowing current to flow through the transistor. When Vgs = Vds, the Mosfet is functioning as a switch.

What is the purpose of Vgs in a Mosfet?

Vgs is used to control the flow of electrons between the source and drain in a Mosfet. By varying the voltage applied to the gate, the conductivity of the channel between the source and drain can be controlled, allowing for the amplification or switching of electronic signals.

How does resistance affect Vgs = Vds in a Mosfet?

The resistance in the channel between the source and drain of a Mosfet will determine the amount of current that can flow through the transistor. If the resistance is too high, Vgs may not be sufficient to create a conducting channel, resulting in Vgs ≠ Vds and the Mosfet not functioning properly. It is important to choose a Mosfet with the appropriate resistance for the desired application.