Most-detailed-ever simulations of a BH solve long standing mystery

In summary, the international team has constructed the most detailed, highest resolution simulation of a black hole to date. The simulation proves theoretical predictions about the nature of accretion disks—the matter that orbits and eventually falls into a black hole—that have never before been seen. Among the findings, the team of computational astrophysicists from Northwestern University, the University of Amsterdam and the University of Oxford found that the inner-most region of an accretion disk aligns with its black hole's equator.
Spinnor
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Most-detailed-ever simulations of black hole solve longstanding mystery
"An international team has constructed the most detailed, highest resolution simulation of a black hole to date. The simulation proves theoretical predictions about the nature of accretion disks—the matter that orbits and eventually falls into a black hole—that have never before been seen.

The research will publish on June 5 in the Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society.

Among the findings, the team of computational astrophysicists from Northwestern University, the University of Amsterdam and the University of Oxford found that the inner-most region of an accretion disk aligns with its black hole's equator. ..."

From, https://phys.org/news/2019-06-most-detailed-ever-simulations-black-hole-longstanding.html

There is a nice movie that I can't seem to copy and paste in the article above.

Likes BillTre
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Very Nice.
Am I correct in assuming that the black hole's (unseeable) equator is determined by taking it jets as the poles and its spin rate is determined by the spin of the accretion disk?

jedishrfu said:
This site has a working version of the video:

The video works in the article of the link I provided but I wanted to copy it into my post with no luck, does not seem to be at youtube yet. Thanks.

Yeah, the PF site limits the media sources to specific well known sites.

This is a very nice article, and I pointed out on a different forum that I have thought, and commented, that they needed to use a better simulation of their magnetic fields in their simulations rather than just a generalized effect, and I have commented on such fer decades now in different places and the article bears it out.

I still wonder what you have when the effective mass of the close torus actually exceeds that of the BH? It would take some outrageous feed rate, but in the midst of some of these superclusters there are some Very Active galactic nuclei. I know they have done the math for toroidal shaped BH's, and how they might split apart, but I can only think of a couple ways for there to be such in the first place, one is by spinning up a BH to the point it goes 'flat' and concentrates mass to the outside of the circle, or to have a torus about a BH that becomes dense enough to collapse at a certain orbit level, just outside of strong BH pull and inside the heavy centripetal force of the moving torus. I would imagine the magnetic field interactions would have a great deal to do with whatever DOES Happen at that level/point in the mass scaling.

FAQ: Most-detailed-ever simulations of a BH solve long standing mystery

1. What is the "BH" in the simulation referring to?

The "BH" stands for black hole, a region in space with such strong gravitational pull that nothing, including light, can escape.

2. What is the long-standing mystery that these simulations aim to solve?

The long-standing mystery is the origin of the jets of high-energy particles that are emitted from the poles of some black holes.

3. How do these simulations differ from previous ones?

These simulations are the most detailed ever, meaning they take into account a larger number of variables and are able to capture more complex behaviors of black holes.

4. What makes these simulations important for our understanding of black holes?

These simulations can provide insight into the physical processes that occur near black holes, which can help us better understand the behavior and properties of these enigmatic objects.

5. How were these simulations conducted?

These simulations were conducted using supercomputers and advanced algorithms that solve the equations of general relativity, which describe the behavior of gravity in the presence of massive objects like black holes.