Most employable emphasis for Applied Statistics major?

In summary, the conversation discusses the three different emphasis offered at a university for a statistics major and which one is considered most employable. The speakers share their opinions and suggest that all three are employable, with the business option being the most popular and the science option being a good fit for medical research. However, they also mention the importance of building a solid foundation in statistics and data analysis, and suggest that one can still pursue a career in market research even with a science track. Overall, the emphasis is on developing skills that can be applied in various industries.
annoyinggirl
http://oi59.tinypic.com/50lfv9.jpg

Above is a link to the list of the three different emphasis offered at my university for statistics major (it is named "statistics" major but has an "applied statistics" curriculum).

Please tell me which emphasis of the three you think is most employable. Please rank them from which you think is most employable to least employable. Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
annoyinggirl said:
http://oi59.tinypic.com/50lfv9.jpg

Above is a link to the list of the three different emphasis offered at my university for statistics major (it is named "statistics" major but has an "applied statistics" curriculum).

Please tell me which emphasis of the three you think is most employable. Please rank them from which you think is most employable to least employable. Thanks

If you are interested in making good money, the economics emphasis looks like it would be a good match for pursuit of a career in finance or as an actuary, etc. if you want to work in e.g. Medical research, the science track would probably be better.

Any of the three are employable. If I were in your shoes, I'd choose the business option. The need for statisticians to work on big data sets continues to grow.

However, all that said, the industry does change. What I say today may be completely useless a year from now. If I really knew how to make prognostications like this, I could be very wealthy.

Likes annoyinggirl
To annoyinggirl:

Are you absolutely required to choose one of the three emphasis offered at your university's statistics major, or do you have some flexibility in deciding what emphasis you choose? Because in my mind, it really doesn't matter which emphasis you choose (at least as selected). The key is the ability to develop skills in statistical and data analysis that can be applied in any area, whether that be in business, finance, marketing, medicine, pharma/biotech, IT, engineering, etc. So long as you develop the fundamentals, develop some programming ability, and seek internships to gain experience, you should be fine.

StatGuy2000 said:
To annoyinggirl:

Are you absolutely required to choose one of the three emphasis offered at your university's statistics major, or do you have some flexibility in deciding what emphasis you choose? Because in my mind, it really doesn't matter which emphasis you choose (at least as selected). The key is the ability to develop skills in statistical and data analysis that can be applied in any area, whether that be in business, finance, marketing, medicine, pharma/biotech, IT, engineering, etc. So long as you develop the fundamentals, develop some programming ability, and seek internships to gain experience, you should be fine.
I have to choose one of the three offered emphasis.

annoyinggirl said:
I have to choose one of the three offered emphasis.

Hi there. Sorry I didn't respond earlier.
If you're asking me what I would choose if I was in your shoes, I would go for either the Business option (which would help you break into finance/market research etc.) or the Science option (a bias from working in the pharma/biotech sector). But as I've stated earlier, it really doesn't matter, so long as you are building a solid foundation in statistics and data analysis.

StatGuy2000 said:
Hi there. Sorry I didn't respond earlier.
If you're asking me what I would choose if I was in your shoes, I would go for either the Business option (which would help you break into finance/market research etc.) or the Science option (a bias from working in the pharma/biotech sector). But as I've stated earlier, it really doesn't matter, so long as you are building a solid foundation in statistics and data analysis.
thank you for responding.
The business option seems more employable but requires a few prereqs that would delay graduation. Also, it seems very common-sense and boring. Do you think I could do the science track and do market research, too?

Last edited:
annoyinggirl said:
thank you for responding. Actually, it was I who responded late, due to falling sick and having to find out the answer.
The business option seems more employable but requires a few prereqs that would delay graduation. Also, it seems very common-sense and boring. Do you think I could do the science track and do market research, too?

Yes, I think you could do the science track and do market research, since the statistical and computing methods used for one shouldn't differ from what is covered in the business track. I would suggest you speak with your department to get more details, but that is what I think (I've known people with science backgrounds working in data science for market research, insurance, or finance companies).

StatGuy2000 said:
Yes, I think you could do the science track and do market research, since the statistical and computing methods used for one shouldn't differ from what is covered in the business track. I would suggest you speak with your department to get more details, but that is what I think (I've known people with science backgrounds working in data science for market research, insurance, or finance companies).
thank you very much for your help

Related to Most employable emphasis for Applied Statistics major?

What job opportunities are available for someone with an Applied Statistics major?

As an Applied Statistics major, you will have a wide range of job opportunities available to you. Some popular career paths for Applied Statistics majors include data analyst, statistician, actuary, market researcher, and operations research analyst. These roles can be found in various industries such as healthcare, finance, government, and technology.

What skills are necessary for success in an Applied Statistics major?

In order to succeed as an Applied Statistics major, you will need to have a strong foundation in mathematics and statistics. You should also have excellent critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as the ability to work with large sets of data. Additionally, strong communication and computer skills are important for effectively presenting and analyzing data in the workplace.

Is an Applied Statistics major a good choice for those interested in a career in data science?

Yes, an Applied Statistics major can be a great choice for those interested in a career in data science. The major provides a strong foundation in statistical methods and data analysis, which are essential skills for data scientists. Additionally, many employers in the field of data science value a strong background in statistics.

What are some potential graduate school options for an Applied Statistics major?

There are several graduate school options for Applied Statistics majors, depending on your specific interests and career goals. Some popular options include a Master's in Applied Statistics, a Master's in Data Science, or a Master's in Business Analytics. Additionally, some students may choose to pursue a PhD in statistics or a related field.

What are some potential job growth opportunities for Applied Statistics majors?

The job outlook for Applied Statistics majors is very promising, with a projected growth rate of 33% from 2019-2029. This is much faster than the average for all occupations. The increasing use of data in various industries and the demand for data-driven decision making are expected to drive the continued growth of job opportunities for Applied Statistics majors.