Most Underrated Rock Drummer?

• Thread starter Hornbein
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rock
Earl Palmer deserves some attention. Perhaps the 2nd best studio drummer ever; the other mainstay of the wrecking crew. Described online as "the inventor of the rock and roll beat" and "the most recorded drummer of all time". From Little Richard to Elvis Costello he played with damn near everyone at some time.

Likes pinball1970
Science news on Phys.org
DaveE said:
Earl Palmer deserves some attention. Perhaps the 2nd best studio drummer ever; the other mainstay of the wrecking crew. Described online as "the inventor of the rock and roll beat" and "the most recorded drummer of all time". From Little Richard to Elvis Costello he played with damn near everyone at some time.
Ian Paice is a huge fan. First name on his favourite drummer influence list.

Last edited:
Frabjous said:
While this song is known for the guitar, I have always loved the drums on it.

Great guitar player, I don't know the band.

Hornbein said:
To be underrated you have to
1) be really good
2) have had lots of exposure, playing on hit records and touring and such
3) nevertheless go unnoticed

I've been making a fancy video with Blue Oyster Cult's Don't Fear The Reaper. Hearing it many times I gradually focused on drummer Albert Bouchard. Such understated subtlety, taste, and originality.
Animal.
That Muppet literally said he would choose drumming over food and has been in some legendary battles.
Hands down, underrated.

Likes pinball1970
MotherMayhem said:
Animal.
That Muppet literally said he would choose drumming over food and has been in some legendary battles.
Hands down, underrated.
Ronnie Verrell. I loved his battle with Buddy Rich, possibly my introduction to him.

• Love
Likes MotherMayhem
Bill ward

Likes pinball1970, robphy and PeroK
pinball1970 said:
Ronnie Verrell. I loved his battle with Buddy Rich, possibly my introduction to him.
You can't take the magic away from the Muppet.
We know who it was behind that wild fluffy beast, and he was sensational!
But for the sake of this post, my answer MUST have him go under the name 'Animal' 🤣
One does not simply wipe the makeup off 'Kiss' or take the masks off 'Slipknot', (Rip Joey) or have the animation be removed from 'The Gorillaz'..
THIS is what makes him underrated and so magnificent. He wasn't Animal for his own personal glory. Much like Animal himself, he just wanted to drum, and drum he did!
He found his spirit Muppet and he loved every minute of it.

Likes Hornbein
BWV said:
Bill ward
My friend gives another vote for Bill Ward. He's an ardent Sabbath fan.

Likes pinball1970
PeroK said:
My friend gives another vote for Bill Ward. He's an ardent Sabbath fan.
Fair enough. Sold a stack of records but is not mentioned much with the great drummers of the 70s.

Likes Klystron
Hornbein said:
To be underrated you have to
1) be really good
2) have had lots of exposure, playing on hit records and touring and such
3) nevertheless go unnoticed

I've been making a fancy video with Blue Oyster Cult's Don't Fear The Reaper. Hearing it many times I gradually focused on drummer Albert Bouchard. Such understated subtlety, taste, and originality.
Albert Bouchard is my favorite drummer by far, with the keyword being originality, not to discount the others. No other drummer played something that was musical like he did, and he always found something that not only fit with the tone of the song, but enhanced it. His playing was like listening to a guitar lead as opposed to "holding down the bottom".

He was also technically better than the people who usually get sited for that, such as Neil Peart. If you listen to the live version of Flaming Telepaths, his intro is machine gun fast, and wouldn't be out of place on death metal albums.

Likes pinball1970
RockGod7 said:
Albert Bouchard is my favorite drummer by far, with the keyword being originality, not to discount the others. No other drummer played something that was musical like he did, and he always found something that not only fit with the tone of the song, but enhanced it. His playing was like listening to a guitar lead as opposed to "holding down the bottom".

He was also technically better than the people who usually get sited for that, such as Neil Peart. If you listen to the live version of Flaming Telepaths, his intro is machine gun fast, and wouldn't be out of place on death metal albums.

I prefer the studio version but I like the drumming.

One day in 1996 I was driving up to a bridge in Corvallis Oregon. Pinball Wizard came on the radio. It was a hit when I was a kid so I'd heard it a hundred times, but somehow this time it was different. I was riveted by the drumming. I'd never really heard it before. The scene remains permanently impressed on my mind, everything I was seeing and hearing at the time, just like when I heard tell of the Kennedy assassination. Later I made this vid in honor of the occasion. It's a remix with boosted trap drums. I like the randomness of the cymbal crashes.

Roger Daltry said Keith once attacked him with the sharp edges of a tambourine. Roger was a sheet metal worker and used his strength to teach skinny Keith a lesson. "He deserved it," quoth Roger. Daltry also said he formed the band. He first saw John Entwistle walking down a sidewalk with a bass. Roger made the connection right then and there. There was so much tension the band once tried to go it without him but flopped so badly they never tried it again.

During another Corvallis drive there came via radio a violin concerto with the v so good I pulled over and parked to hear the whole thing undistracted and so I could find out who it was. Afterward they announced it was Sarah Chang. I found out later that USA violinists were jealous of her success, saying she relied too much on her history as a cute prodigy and later glamor. Well, she passed my blindfold test with flying colors, thank you very much.

I recently attended a recital by violinist Hilary Hahn, who these days might win a Best In The World poll. Very subdued. Huge disappointment. Maybe as a new mother she's abjured passion, giving up on being a "mother" in the jazz musician argot sense. But I imagine she'll be back some day. Maybe the kid will turn bratty and piss her off. That'd put some fire back in there.

I for the longest time couldn't figure what the big deal was about John Entwistle's ebass playing. It turns out he was very restrained in the studio but let loose on stage. In his late career he suffered from high-frequency hearing loss but insisted on adjusting his tone so that it sounded right to himself. Ouch. His nickname was The Ox, presumably because he was big, strong, and quiet.

I like the earlier poppier Who records, though I later found out that they secretly hired a group to do the background vocals. That explains why they couldn't duplicate those tunes on stage, a big disadvantage. I also don't believe that Pete played the guitar solo on Can't Explain. It's much more chaotic than anything else he ever did. I thought it was Jimmy Page, that paragon of chaos. Sure enough, Daltry recently (2018) confirmed this. Ha! Can't fool me. Surely it's JP on the Kinks' You Really Got Me too. Dave Davies never sounded like that.

Last edited:
Another underrated drummer : Tres Cool of Green Day.

He doesn't quite make the rolls, but IMO all drummers shared this condition until Senri Kawaguchi made the scene.

pinball1970 said:
Yes the wrecking crew were legend and part of musical history but was Hal Baine a great drummer? Technically?
He was a great musician sure, played on some my favourite songs of all time but then again so did Ringo, Ola Brunkert, Robert Siebenberg and Nigel Olsson.
Do not despair. Years ago I read a similar poll among professional musicians in San Francisco that gave honorary 'underrated drummer' status to Ringo Starr. The gist of the responses was that the Beatles were so insanely popular that that mop top must hide a major percussive talent, evidence from the movie "A Hard Day's Night" notwithstanding.

Rolling Stone columnist Hunter Thompson supposedly compared Ringo's talent to that of a talking dog. "The amazing thing about a talking dog is not what it says, but that it talks at all.". What does a glorified sports writer understand about music?

Likes pinball1970
Klystron said:
Do not despair. Years ago I read a similar poll among professional musicians in San Francisco that gave honorary 'underrated drummer' status to Ringo Starr. The gist of the responses was that the Beatles were so insanely popular that that mop top must hide a major percussive talent, evidence from the movie "A Hard Day's Night" notwithstanding.

Rolling Stone columnist Hunter Thompson supposedly compared Ringo's talent to that of a talking dog. "The amazing thing about a talking dog is not what it says, but that it talks at all.". What does a glorified sports writer understand about music?
My observation is that Ringo is dissed a lot. He had a comical stage name and clownish persona and sings not very well, that didn't help. The lame Ringo Song was a traditional sort of joke. It didn't help that Bernard Purdy claimed to have played on early Beatles recordings.* But he's #14 on the Rolling Stone list so we can say he's a big success with those in the know. Myself I didn't think much of him but slowly grew to appreciate what he does. He's devoted 100% to supporting the singer and the song and never fails to do so. He knows rumba and cha-cha beats and his work on Tomorrow Never Knows is genius. His solo on Birthday is SO cool. I've learned not to care so much about chops and to respect Ringo. So let's say that Ringo is a success with the experts but perhaps underrated by the general public.

By the way, Ringo means "apple" in Japanese. Did Yoko tell them that, inspiring The Beatle's Apple Corps, later to be monickeristically followed by the eponymous computer company?

---
*The skinny seems to be that Purdy played on some demos but not the official records.

• Informative
Likes pinball1970 and Klystron
Hornbein said:
One day in 1996 I was driving up to a bridge in Corvallis Oregon. Pinball Wizard came on the radio. It was a hit when I was a kid so I'd heard it a hundred times, but somehow this time it was different. I was riveted by the drumming. I'd never really heard it before. The scene remains permanently impressed on my mind, everything I was seeing and hearing at the time, just like when I heard tell of the Kennedy assassination. Later I made this vid in honor of the occasion. It's a remix with boosted trap drums. I like the randomness of the cymbal crashes.

Roger Daltry said Keith once attacked him with the sharp edges of a tambourine. Roger was a sheet metal worker and used his strength to teach skinny Keith a lesson. "He deserved it," quoth Roger. Daltry also said he formed the band. He first saw John Entwistle walking down a sidewalk with a bass. Roger made the connection right then and there. There was so much tension the band once tried to go it without him but flopped so badly they never tried it again.

During another Corvallis drive there came via radio a violin concerto with the v so good I pulled over and parked to hear the whole thing undistracted and so I could find out who it was. Afterward they announced it was Sarah Chang. I found out later that USA violinists were jealous of her success, saying she relied too much on her history as a cute prodigy and later glamor. Well, she passed my blindfold test with flying colors, thank you very much.

I recently attended a recital by violinist Hilary Hahn, who these days might win a Best In The World poll. Very subdued. Huge disappointment. Maybe as a new mother she's abjured passion, giving up on being a "mother" in the jazz musician argot sense. But I imagine she'll be back some day. Maybe the kid will turn bratty and piss her off. That'd put some fire back in there.

I for the longest time couldn't figure what the big deal was about John Entwistle's ebass playing. It turns out he was very restrained in the studio but let loose on stage. In his late career he suffered from high-frequency hearing loss but insisted on adjusting his tone so that it sounded right to himself. Ouch. His nickname was The Ox, presumably because he was big, strong, and quiet.

I like the earlier poppier Who records, though I later found out that they secretly hired a group to do the background vocals. That explains why they couldn't duplicate those tunes on stage, a big disadvantage. I also don't believe that Pete played the guitar solo on Can't Explain. It's much more chaotic than anything else he ever did. I thought it was Jimmy Page, that paragon of chaos. Sure enough, Daltry recently (2018) confirmed this. Ha! Can't fool me. Surely it's JP on the Kinks' You Really Got Me too. Dave Davies never sounded like that.

I will never be convinced by Moon. I did not rate him when I was learning and that has not changed. He certainly always seems to do ok in terms of "rated-ness."
I like the Who however, genius guitar work and song writing and the harmony is fantastic.
Moon seems to work with it.

Hornbein said:
My observation is that Ringo is dissed a lot. He had a comical stage name and clownish persona and sings not very well, that didn't help. The lame Ringo Song was a traditional sort of joke. It didn't help that Bernard Purdy claimed to have played on early Beatles recordings.* But he's #14 on the Rolling Stone list so we can say he's a big success with those in the know. Myself I didn't think much of him but slowly grew to appreciate what he does. He's devoted 100% to supporting the singer and the song and never fails to do so. He knows rumba and cha-cha beats and his work on Tomorrow Never Knows is genius. His solo on Birthday is SO cool. I've learned not to care so much about chops and to respect Ringo. So let's say that Ringo is a success with the experts but perhaps underrated by the general public.

By the way, Ringo means "apple" in Japanese. Did Yoko tell them that, inspiring The Beatle's Apple Corps, later to be monickeristically followed by the eponymous computer company?

---
*The skinny seems to be that Purdy played on some demos but not the official records.
Only the early sessions, Martin was used to studio pros. He didn't like Pete Best and Ringo had not been in the band long so he use his own guy. Andy White.
Purdy would have been in the states at that time.

Klystron said:

I like Ringo, he was one of my first influences. The fills in Strawberry Fields are just so laid back, cool, caught my ear before I knew the kit.
Ian Paice summed up his contributions to the Beatles as "perfection." Jury is out on how underrated he is, no one is going to ever say he is a technical drummer.
I think opinion has changed in the last 20 years.
Remember when John Lennon was asked if Ringo was the best drummer in the world?
(Lennon) The world? He's not the best drummer in the Beatles!
Both he and McCartney could play and PM Played all instruments on "McCartney" and drums on "Band on the run "
Anyway to me he was the ultimate musical drummer in the 1960s. The US had Hal Blaine but we had Ringo.
Notable mentions from him.

Hello Goodbye.
Rain.
I gotta Feeling
Strawberry Fields
Blue Jay Way.
Day in the life.

Likes Klystron
Back