Motion in a Plane, Vector Addition/Subtraction

In summary, Snoopy is flying his plane, the Sopwith Camel, at a constant speed of 120 km/h relative to air, following a perfectly square path on the ground using north-south and east-west roads as guides. On a day with a 60 km/h southwest wind, the trip would take 4 hours as the wind would cause Snoopy to end up 120 km northeast of his starting point, requiring an additional 2 hours to return to the starting point.
TheModernAge

Homework Statement

Snoopy is flying his plane, the Sopwith Camel, in search of the Red Baron. He flies with a constant speed of 120 km/h relative to air, and makes instantaneous turns when necessary. He follows a perfectly square path on the ground, using north - south and east - west roads as a guide for each of the 60 km sides. On a day when there is a steady 60 km/h wind blowing diagonally across the square (southwest wind), how long does the trip take?

Homework Equations

Relative Motion
V-speed, P-Plane, A-Air, G-Ground
PVG = PVA + AVG

Cosine Law

The Attempt at a Solution

My assumption on the problem is that the airspeed of 120 km/h must have an added components of 60 km/h (NE) to counteract it so that the resultant will have its course on the correct path 60 km North. This is done for each side.
I have drawn out my vectors in the attached image.
Using cosine law I can find the new airspeed, but I don't know what to do after.
Please Help and Thank You

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    3.6 KB · Views: 708
Physics news on Phys.org
TheModernAge said:

Homework Statement

Snoopy is flying his plane, the Sopwith Camel, in search of the Red Baron. He flies with a constant speed of 120 km/h relative to air, and makes instantaneous turns when necessary. He follows a perfectly square path on the ground, using north - south and east - west roads as a guide for each of the 60 km sides. On a day when there is a steady 60 km/h wind blowing diagonally across the square (southwest wind), how long does the trip take?

Homework Equations

Relative Motion
V-speed, P-Plane, A-Air, G-Ground
PVG = PVA + AVG

Cosine Law

The Attempt at a Solution

My assumption on the problem is that the airspeed of 120 km/h must have an added components of 60 km/h (NE) to counteract it so that the resultant will have its course on the correct path 60 km North. This is done for each side.
I have drawn out my vectors in the attached image.
Using cosine law I can find the new airspeed, but I don't know what to do after.
Please Help and Thank You

Your diagram will find a new ground speed if Snoopy points the plane due North, then "side-slips" his way across the landscape.
Snoopy is to maintain a ground speed of due North, so on the first leg will be pointing somewhat West of North.

The wind speed adds a constant North and East component to any velocity the plane has relative to the air.
To fly in a specific N, S, E or W direction, the velocity of the plane must have a component to cancel out the "unwanted" component of the wind.

For example, suppose a different wind had a North component of 20 km/h, and an East component of 20 km/h.

To fly North, the 120km/h of the plane would have to have a westerly component of 20 km/h to balance the wind and achieve a due North heading.

PS. Wouldn't it be weird if the problem could be worked out this simply:
If there was no wind, Snoopy merely points N, E, S then W, and flies for 60km each time, to cover the square. That would take 2 hours.
If he did that with the wind blowing, he would actually end up 120 km NE of where he started. It would take 2 hours to return to his starting point [he would be flying into a head wind so only gaining 60 k each hour]. So the whole trip would take 4 hours.

Related to Motion in a Plane, Vector Addition/Subtraction

1. What is the difference between motion in a plane and motion in a straight line?

Motion in a plane refers to the movement of an object in two-dimensional space, while motion in a straight line only considers the movement in one dimension. This means that motion in a plane involves both horizontal and vertical components, while motion in a straight line only has a horizontal component.

2. How do you represent motion in a plane using vectors?

Vectors are used to represent motion in a plane by showing both the magnitude and direction of the movement. The magnitude is represented by the length of the vector, while the direction is indicated by an arrow pointing in the direction of the movement.

3. What is vector addition and subtraction?

Vector addition is the process of combining two or more vectors to find their resultant vector. This can be done by using the head-to-tail method, where the tail of one vector is placed at the head of another vector. Vector subtraction involves finding the difference between two vectors, which can be done by adding the negative of the second vector to the first vector.

4. How do you calculate the magnitude and direction of a resultant vector?

To calculate the magnitude of a resultant vector, you can use the Pythagorean theorem to find the length of the hypotenuse of a right triangle formed by the two original vectors. The direction of the resultant vector can be found using trigonometric functions, such as tangent, sine, and cosine.

5. How are vectors used in real-world applications?

Vectors are used in various fields, including physics, engineering, and navigation. They can be used to calculate forces and velocities in physics problems, design structures in engineering, and determine the direction and distance between two points in navigation systems. Vectors are also used in computer graphics to represent the movement of objects in video games and animations.