Motion of object under central force

In summary, the speaker is seeking clarification on the trajectory of an object when a central force suddenly appears while it is moving at constant velocity. They have reasoned that the path the object will take depends on its initial velocity, with different scenarios resulting in oscillation, circular motion, elliptical motion, or a curved path. However, they are unsure about the accuracy of their reasoning and mention that the magnitude of the force is not specified. They also mention that for an elliptical path to occur, the force must have a specific form, such as gravity.
myron
Hi everybody

I have been trying to develop an intuitive general understanding of how the trajectory of an object , that is moving at constant velocity, is changed by the sudden appearance of a central force but I am not sure my reasoning is correct.

(1) Consider an object "A" not subject to any force and, therefore, moving at constant velocity "V".

(2) Now, suppose that, "by magic", a central force appears at a distance R from "A" constantly pointing to a point "O" in space.

As far as I understand the path that A will take depends from its velocity "V" at the time the central force appeared:

(a) If V=0, then A will start to oscillate around O

(b) if V= SQR(a x R) (where: SQR = square root, "a" = the acceleration, constant in magnitude, to which A is subject) then A will start to move along a circular path

(c) if V < SQR(a x R), then A will start moving along an elliptical path (the smaller V the more "sqeezed" the ellipse -- the case V=0 could be considered as the degenarate case of this)

(d) if V > SQR(a x R), then the trajectory of A will be curved by the central force but the path will not be (necessarily ?) a "closed" one like a circle or an ellipse

Is the reasoning above correct? Points (a), (b), (c) make sense to me, so I believe they are correct, but I do have strong doubts about point d ...

Thanks a lot for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
You haven't specified how the magnitude of the force varies, e.g. a function of R.
For an elliptical path to result, you need a force like gravity, G/R^2. In that case it will be elliptical provided V < escape velocity, sqrt(2aR).

Related to Motion of object under central force

1. What is a central force in the context of motion of objects?

A central force is a force that acts on an object towards or away from a fixed point, known as the center. This type of force is independent of the object's motion and only depends on its distance from the center.

2. What is the equation for the motion of an object under central force?

The equation for the motion of an object under central force is F=ma, where F is the central force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration of the object towards or away from the center.

3. How does the motion of an object under central force differ from other types of motion?

The motion of an object under central force is different from other types of motion because it follows a curved path instead of a straight line. This is due to the changing direction of the force as the object moves closer or farther away from the center.

4. What are some examples of central forces in real life?

Examples of central forces in real life include the gravitational force between the Sun and planets in our solar system, the electric force between a positively charged nucleus and negatively charged electrons in an atom, and the magnetic force between a magnet and a piece of iron.

5. How does the distance from the center affect the motion of an object under central force?

The distance from the center has a significant impact on the motion of an object under central force. As the distance increases, the force decreases, resulting in a slower acceleration and a wider curved path. Conversely, as the distance decreases, the force increases, resulting in a faster acceleration and a tighter curved path.