Motion of Ring After Current Reduction in Hoop, Line and Stinker

• Thread starter cpcolts
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Line
In summary, when the current in the wire is reduced, the ring will spin counterclockwise and slide towards the bottom of the figure in order to increase the decreasing magnetic flux through it and oppose the change in current. This is in accordance with Lenz's law.
cpcolts
The figure shows an insulating ring and an infinite straight wire resting on the surface of an infinite plane. The wire is fixed in position, but the ring slides without friction on the surface of the plane. The ring is uniformly charged, with net positive charge Q. Initially, the wire carries a constant current I towards the top of the figure, and the ring is stationary. At time t=0, the current in the wire is reduced to I/2. Which of the following best describes the motion of the ring after the current is reduced?

a. The ring will spin clockwise and slide away from the wire.
b. The ring will spin clockwise and slide towards the wire.
c. The ring will spin clockwise and remain stationary.
d. The ring will not spin, but it will slide towards the wire.
e. The ring will spin counterclockwise and slide towards the wire.
f. The ring will spin counterclockwise and remain stationary.
g. The ring will not spin, but it will slide away from the wire.
h. The ring will spin clockwise and slide towards the top of the figure.
i. The ring will spin counterclockwise and slide towards the top of the figure.
j. The ring will not spin, but it will slide towards the bottom of the figure.
k. None of the above (please describe what does happen).

my solution:

OK so i feel like the answer is j. because when the current decreases the magnetic field will also decrease which will let the ring go and it slide down.
But I am not sure that the answer is right though.

Can someone please give me a reasoning towards the right answer?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Without a figure as reference, I can only speak in generalities. I assume that the ring is free to spin and/or translate in response to the changing current in the wire. This is a Lenz's law problem. Since the magnetic flux through the ring will decrease as a result of the reduced current, the induced current in the ring will flow so that forces and torques will be generated to oppose this proposed change. The ring will spin and move in whatever fashion will increase the decreasing magnetic flux through it.

Related to Motion of Ring After Current Reduction in Hoop, Line and Stinker

1. What is the "Motion of Ring After Current Reduction in Hoop, Line and Stinker" experiment?

The "Motion of Ring After Current Reduction in Hoop, Line and Stinker" experiment is a physics experiment that studies the behavior of a ring after a current reduction in a hoop, line, and stinker setup. It involves measuring the ring's motion and analyzing the factors that affect its behavior.

2. What is the purpose of this experiment?

The purpose of this experiment is to understand the principles of electromagnetic induction and how it affects the motion of a ring in a magnetic field. It also aims to investigate the relationship between current, magnetic field, and motion of the ring.

3. How is the experiment set up?

The experiment involves setting up a hoop, line, and stinker apparatus, where a ring is suspended inside a hoop with a line attached to it. The hoop is then placed inside a magnetic field created by a stinker (electromagnet). A current is passed through the hoop, and then reduced, causing the ring to move. The motion of the ring is recorded and analyzed.

4. What factors affect the motion of the ring in this experiment?

The motion of the ring is affected by several factors, including the strength of the magnetic field, the amount of current passing through the hoop, the resistance of the hoop, and the mass and shape of the ring. The distance between the ring and the stinker, as well as the presence of any external forces, can also impact the motion of the ring.

5. What are the potential applications of this experiment?

The findings of this experiment can be applied in various fields such as electrical engineering, physics, and material science. It can also be used to understand and improve the design of electromechanical devices, such as generators, motors, and transformers. Additionally, this experiment can help us gain a deeper understanding of the behavior of electromagnetic fields and their interactions with conductive materials.