Motion of two balls which collide

In summary: Choose one or the other! :wink:In summary, two balls are thrown, one upward with an initial speed of v0 and one dropped from a height H. The equations used are s1 = v0*t + 1/2*g*t^2 for the first ball and s2 = h + 1/2*-g*t^2 for the second ball. Solving for time, we get a value divided by 2*g.
Faka
A ball is thrown straight up from the ground with speed v0. At the same instant, a second ball is dropped from rest from a height H, directly above the point where the first ball was thrown upward. There is no air resistance. How to I find the time at which the two balls collide. A how do I find the value of H in terms of v0 and g so that at the instant when the balls colide, the first ball is at the heighest point of its motion.

Anybody who can help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is it this equation I need to use s = u*t + 1/2*a*t^2 ?

Yes. :smile:

Ball 1 (Going upward with a v0):

s1 = vo*t-0,5*g*t^2

Ball 2 (Dropped from a height H)

s2 = h-0,5*g*t

And then I need to find the time t:
s1 = s2

I get something crazy !

Is my method good?

Hi Faka! :smile:

(try using the X2 and X2 icons just above the Reply box :wink:)
Faka said:
Ball 2 (Dropped from a height H)

s2 = h-0,5*g*t

you mean s2 = h - 0,5*g*t2 :wink:

otherwise, that's ok :smile:

Yes, its t^2 .
I think that I have made a mistake. Shouldn't it be:
Ball 1

s1 = Vo*t+0,5*g*t^2

Ball 2

s2 = h+0,5*g*t

Then
s1 = s2

I mean "+" instead of "-".

s2 = h+0,5*g*t^2

it doesn't matter whether you use +g and g = -9.81, or -g and g = -9.81 :wink:

show us your full calculations :smile:

Ball 1 (Upward)
x1 = 0 + v0*t + 1/2*(g)*t^2
= vo*t + g*t^2

Ball 2 (Dropped)
x2 = h + 0*t + 1/2*(-g)*t^2
= h - 1/2*g*t^2x1 = x2

vo*t + g*t^2 = h - 1/2*g*t^2And then I solve for t, I get something that I can't write here. Its something divided by 2*g

Faka said:
Ball 1 (Upward)
x1 = 0 + v0*t + 1/2*(g)*t^2
= vo*t + g*t^2

Ball 2 (Dropped)
x2 = h + 0*t + 1/2*(-g)*t^2
= h - 1/2*g*t^2

No, you can't have g in one equation and -g in the other. :redface:

FAQ: Motion of two balls which collide

What is the definition of "colliding balls"?

Colliding balls refer to the situation in which two balls come into contact with each other and exert a force on each other, resulting in a change in their motion.

What factors affect the motion of two colliding balls?

The motion of two colliding balls can be affected by factors such as the mass, velocity, and direction of each ball, as well as the elasticity of the balls and any external forces acting on them.

How do you calculate the final velocities of two colliding balls?

The final velocities of two colliding balls can be calculated using the principles of conservation of momentum and conservation of energy. The equations for these principles take into account the masses and velocities of the balls before and after the collision.

What happens to the kinetic energy during a collision of two balls?

The total kinetic energy of the two balls before and after the collision will remain the same, but it may be distributed differently between the two balls depending on the elasticity of the collision. In an elastic collision, the kinetic energy will be conserved, while in an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy will be converted into other forms of energy.

How does the angle of impact affect the outcome of a collision between two balls?

The angle of impact between two colliding balls can affect the final velocities and directions of the balls after the collision. Different angles of impact can result in different amounts of energy being transferred between the balls, leading to different outcomes of the collision.