Motion of two objects connected by a string

In summary, the string is stretched to its full length, the velocity of A is greater than the velocity of B, and the two blocks collide.
songoku

Homework Statement

As shown in Figure 1, two objects A and B of the same mass m are moving on a horizontal plane without friction along x axis. The two objects are connected by a string of length l. The mass of the string is negligible, and the length is constant. At time t = 0, A is to the right of B at a distance of l / 2, (the string remains flabby), and A and B are moving in the same direction at velocities vA and vB, respectively (vA > vB). When the distance between A and B becomes l, the string is stretched tightly to its full length. Immediately afterwards, A and B approach each other, and then collide. Suppose that no energy is lost when the string is stretched to its full length, and the collision between A and B is elastic. Answer the following questions:
(a) Estimate the elapsed time T1 from t = 0 to the moment when the string is stretched to its full length.
(b) Find the velocities of A and B immediately after the string is stretched to its full length for the first time
(c) Estimate the elapsed time T2 from t = 0 to the first collision between A and B
(d) Find the velocities of A and B immediately after the first collision
(e) Calculate the time elapsed T3 from t = 0 to the moment when the string is stretched to its full length for the second time
(f) Draw the graph of vB(t) from t = 0 and t = T3
Untitled.png

Homework Equations

kinematics
momentum

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) T1 = L / (2(vA - vB))
(b) I am not sure about this one. Will the speed be the same but opposite direction for A? So the velocity of A is - vA and velocity of B still vB?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Part (a) looks right.
What is the speed of the centre of mass the the two blocks? Are there any forces that would change this?

Likes songoku
Hint: Is there any difference (in principle) between two blocks colliding and two blocks "hitting" the string limit?

Likes songoku
John Park said:
Part (a) looks right.
What is the speed of the centre of mass the the two blocks? Are there any forces that would change this?
The force that can change the speed is the tension when it is taut. The speed of center of mass of block A and B is vA and vB respectively. Should I find the location of center of mass of the two blocks?

gneill said:
Hint: Is there any difference (in principle) between two blocks colliding and two blocks "hitting" the string limit?
I am not sure. Let me try:
The total momentum when the string is flabby = m (vA + vB)
The total momentum when the string is taut = m (vA' + vB')

m (vA + vB) = m (vA' + vB')
vA + vB = vA' + vB'

Then, can I use relative speed of approach = relative speed of separation thinking the system "hit" string limit being the same as elastic collision?

Thanks

The force that can change the speed is the tension when it is taut. The speed of center of mass of block A and B is vA and vBrespectively. Should I find the location of center of mass of the two blocks?

I meant the (single) speed of the (single) centre of mass of the two blocks taken together. I was trying to lead you towards the view you're asking about at the end,
Then, can I use relative speed of approach = relative speed of separation thinking the system "hit" string limit being the same as elastic collision?

I think that is what you're expected to do.

Note that in later parts of the problem there are actual collisions; I think you're expected to assume that energy is conserved in them too, though the problem doesn't say so.

Likes songoku
songoku said:
The total momentum when the string is flabby = m (vA + vB)
The total momentum when the string is taut = m (vA' + vB')

vA + vB = vA' + vB'

Right. So assuming a light, inextensible string the event will behave just like a perfectly elastic collision between the blocks. You might think of the string as providing a "conduit" for Newton's 3rd law forces between the blocks.

Likes songoku
John Park said:
I meant the (single) speed of the (single) centre of mass of the two blocks taken together. I was trying to lead you towards the view you're asking about at the end, .

I think that is what you're expected to do.

Note that in later parts of the problem there are actual collisions; I think you're expected to assume that energy is conserved in them too, though the problem doesn't say so.

gneill said:
Right. So assuming a light, inextensible string the event will behave just like a perfectly elastic collision between the blocks. You might think of the string as providing a "conduit" for Newton's 3rd law forces between the blocks.

(b) Because their masses are the same and the type of "collision" is elastic, their speed will interchange. So velocity of A = - vB and velocity of B = vA

(c) The time for collision (t) = L/(vA + vB). Total time = T1 + t = L / (2(vA - vB)) + L/(vA + vB)

(d) This question will be the same as (b), their speed will interchange once more. So velocity of A = vA and velocity of B = - vB

(e) The time taken for collision will be the same as the time taken for the string to be stretched again, so the total time will be L / (2(vA - vB)) + 2L/(vA + vB)

Am I correct?

Thanks

songoku said:
(b) Because their masses are the same and the type of "collision" is elastic, their speed will interchange. So velocity of A = - vB and velocity of B = vA
That looks like a guess, rather than something you calculated. In any case, it's not right.

You should note the comment about centre of mass in post #2. As there are no external forces acting on the system, the velocity of the centre of mass cannot change. The tension in the string is not an external force, as it acts (by Newton's third law) equal and opposite on the two blocks. That's an internal force that is part of the system of two blocks.

In fact, analysing the problem in the centre-of-mass reference frame would not be a bad idea.

If you're not sure how to do that, then you'll have to continue from where you got in post #6:

songoku said:
vA + vB = vA' + vB'

Now, you need to use conservation of energy.

Likes songoku
PeroK said:
That looks like a guess, rather than something you calculated. In any case, it's not right.

You should note the comment about centre of mass in post #2. As there are no external forces acting on the system, the velocity of the centre of mass cannot change. The tension in the string is not an external force, as it acts (by Newton's third law) equal and opposite on the two blocks. That's an internal force that is part of the system of two blocks.

In fact, analysing the problem in the centre-of-mass reference frame would not be a bad idea.

If you're not sure how to do that, then you'll have to continue from where you got in post #6:
Now, you need to use conservation of energy.
By conservation of energy, do you mean that the total kinetic energy of the system when the string slacks will be equal to the total kinetic energy when the string is taut?

If yes, then I think the result will be the same compared to using relative speed of approach = relative speed of separation
vA - vB = vB' - vA'

Using elimination, I get vA' = vB and vB' = vA.

The question states that A and B approach each other when the string taut so I think A will move backward then I add minus sign to the velocity, vA' = vB

If you don't mean the conservation of kibetic energy, then I do not have idea how to continue.

The velocity of center of mass = (vA + vB) / 2. There is no external force means that the acceleration of center of mass is zero but I do not know how to continue from there

songoku said:
By conservation of energy, do you mean that the total kinetic energy of the system when the string slacks will be equal to the total kinetic energy when the string is taut?

If yes, then I think the result will be the same compared to using relative speed of approach = relative speed of separation
vA - vB = vB' - vA'

Using elimination, I get vA' = vB and vB' = vA.

That looks right.

songoku said:
The question states that A and B approach each other when the string taut so I think A will move backward then I add minus sign to the velocity, vA' = vB

Why do you think A moves backward? If ##v_A > v_B##, then after the first "collision" where the string goes tight, B will be catching up with A.

Likes songoku
PeroK said:
That looks right.
Why do you think A moves backward? If ##v_A > v_B##, then after the first "collision" where the string goes tight, B will be catching up with A.
The question states that A and B approach "each other" so I think they move toward each other. Seems I interpret the question wrongly.

(c) the total time will be L/(2(vA - vB)) + L/(vA - vB) = 3/2 × L/(vA - vB)

Is that correct?

Thanks

songoku said:
The question states that A and B approach "each other" so I think they move toward each other. Seems I interpret the question wrongly.

(c) the total time will be L/(2(vA - vB)) + L/(vA - vB) = 3/2 × L(vA - vB)

Is that correct?

Thanks

Yes.

If you go back to the original situation where they are ##l/2## apart and assume that ##V_B > V_A##, then they will collide despite both moving in the same direction.

Likes songoku
@songoku would you like to see how to use the COM frame?

PeroK said:
@songoku would you like to see how to use the COM frame?
Of course I want to see it :biggrin:

songoku said:
Of course I want to see it :biggrin:

As the blocks are of equal mass, in the COM frame they are moving away from each other with equal and opposite velocity (initially). Let's call this speed ##v##, we can work it out later.

Now the picture is simple: they start ##l/2## apart and both are moving away from the COM at a speed of ##v##. And, when the rope goes tight, by conservation of momentum and energy, they must both reverse their direction of motion. So, they then move towards each other with the same speed ##v##. And, after colliding, they bounce apart with the same speed ##v##, which is back to the original situation. And, so on.

This method would be even better if the masses were of different sizes, as the motion is again simple in the COM frame.

To calculate the speed of the COM, you can use:

##v_{COM} = \frac{mv_A + mv_B}{2m} = \frac{v_A + v_B}{2}##

And, in that frame, we have:

##v'_A = v_A - v_{COM} = \frac{v_A - v_B}{2}##

##v'_B = v_B - v_{COM} = \frac{v_B - v_A}{2} = -v'_A##

Likes songoku
I am very sorry for my late reply

PeroK said:
As the blocks are of equal mass, in the COM frame they are moving away from each other with equal and opposite velocity (initially)
I already don't understand this part :redface:

The location of the COM will be in the middle of the two blocks so the left block will move toward the COM and the right block will move away from COM?

Thanks

songoku said:
I am very sorry for my late replyI already don't understand this part :redface:

The location of the COM will be in the middle of the two blocks so the left block will move toward the COM and the right block will move away from COM?

Thanks

The COM reference frame is a reference frame moving with respect to the original with a velocity ##v_{COM}## that I calculated for you in post #15. In the COM frame, the COM is stationary.

Likes songoku
PeroK said:
The COM reference frame is a reference frame moving with respect to the original with a velocity ##v_{COM}## that I calculated for you in post #15. In the COM frame, the COM is stationary.

I think I get the idea a little bit. I'll go searching and reading about COM frame first and then go back here to understand your explanation in post #15.

Thanks

PeroK said:
As the blocks are of equal mass, in the COM frame they are moving away from each other with equal and opposite velocity (initially). Let's call this speed ##v##, we can work it out later.

Now the picture is simple: they start ##l/2## apart and both are moving away from the COM at a speed of ##v##. And, when the rope goes tight, by conservation of momentum and energy, they must both reverse their direction of motion. So, they then move towards each other with the same speed ##v##. And, after colliding, they bounce apart with the same speed ##v##, which is back to the original situation. And, so on.

This method would be even better if the masses were of different sizes, as the motion is again simple in the COM frame.

To calculate the speed of the COM, you can use:

##v_{COM} = \frac{mv_A + mv_B}{2m} = \frac{v_A + v_B}{2}##

And, in that frame, we have:

##v'_A = v_A - v_{COM} = \frac{v_A - v_B}{2}##

##v'_B = v_B - v_{COM} = \frac{v_B - v_A}{2} = -v'_A##
I think I get it

Thank you very much for the help

Related to Motion of two objects connected by a string

1. How does the tension in the string affect the motion of the two objects?

The tension in the string is a crucial factor in determining the motion of the two connected objects. If the tension is greater than the weight of the objects, the objects will accelerate in the direction of the string. If the tension is equal to the weight, the objects will move at a constant speed. And if the tension is less than the weight, the objects will decelerate or come to a stop.

2. Can the length of the string impact the motion of the objects?

Yes, the length of the string can affect the motion of the connected objects. A longer string will result in a lower tension, which can lead to slower motion or no motion at all. On the other hand, a shorter string will result in a higher tension, causing the objects to move faster.

3. How does the mass of the objects influence their motion?

The mass of the objects has a significant impact on their motion. Objects with a greater mass will require a higher tension in the string to accelerate at the same rate as objects with a lower mass. Additionally, the heavier object will exert a greater force on the lighter object, causing it to move more in the direction of the heavier object.

4. Can the angle of the string affect the motion of the objects?

Yes, the angle of the string can affect the motion of the connected objects. The greater the angle, the greater the tension in the string, which can result in faster motion. However, if the angle is too large, the objects may not move at all due to the string being pulled too tight.

5. How does the coefficient of friction impact the motion of the objects?

The coefficient of friction between the objects and the surface they are on can affect their motion. If the coefficient of friction is high, the objects may experience more resistance and move slower. If the coefficient of friction is low, the objects may move faster. Additionally, a high coefficient of friction may cause the objects to slip or not move at all.