Motion on a frictionless surface

In summary, the conversation discusses the type of motion that a constant, non-zero force produces on an object of constant mass. The options provided are constant speed, constant acceleration, increasing acceleration, and it depends on the speed of the object. The individual is initially confused and considers the impact of friction, but then realizes that the question and answer options may have been incorrectly matched. However, the conversation concludes with a suggestion to apply Newton's second law of motion.
uwmphysics
Now I'm confused again...

What kind of motion does a constant, non-zero force produce on an object of constant mass?
a. constant speed
b. constant acceleration
c. increasing acceleration
d.it depends on the speed of the object

I know that if there's no friction, the force on the object wouldn't be met by any opposition, so it could be constant speed, but i don't know what happens to the acceleration

Physics news on Phys.org
OHHH-ok my professor put the wrong answers with the wrong question and flipped it around but i didnt see that, so the question doesn't make sence...ignore my question...

Hello uwmphysics,

try to apply Newton's second law of motion.

Regards,

nazzard

uwmphysics said:
OHHH-ok my professor put the wrong answers with the wrong question and flipped it around but i didnt see that, so the question doesn't make sence...ignore my question...

Well it still is a valid question. :wink:

What kind of motion does a constant, non-zero force produce on an object of constant mass?

Ideas? :smile:

FAQ: Motion on a frictionless surface

What is motion on a frictionless surface?

Motion on a frictionless surface refers to the movement of an object on a surface with no friction present. This means that there is no resistance to the object's motion, allowing it to move without any external force acting upon it.

What is the importance of studying motion on a frictionless surface?

Studying motion on a frictionless surface allows us to understand the fundamental principles of motion, such as Newton's laws of motion. It also helps us to design and improve technology and machines that require low friction for efficient operation.

How is motion on a frictionless surface different from motion on a surface with friction?

In motion on a frictionless surface, there is no force opposing the object's movement, while in motion on a surface with friction, there is a force that resists the object's motion. This means that an object on a frictionless surface will continue to move at a constant velocity, while an object on a surface with friction will gradually slow down due to the friction force.

Can motion on a frictionless surface exist in the real world?

No, motion on a frictionless surface is a theoretical concept and does not exist in the real world. In reality, there is always some amount of friction present, even on surfaces that appear to be very smooth.

How does the absence of friction affect the speed of an object on a frictionless surface?

The absence of friction allows an object to maintain a constant speed, as there is no force acting against its motion. This means that the object will continue to move at the same velocity unless acted upon by an external force.

Back