Motion on a Paraboloid: Reduce to Quadratures

In summary, the conversation discusses using Lagrange equations to find the relevant equations for x, y, and z in order to solve for the motion of a body on a given surface. The final equation obtained for r differs slightly from the initial equation, and there is a question about how the constant dependent on initial conditions comes into play. There is also a mention of using the appropriate Lagrangian to check for any calculation errors.
neworder1

Homework Statement

A body of mass M moves (in a gravitational field g) on the inner surface of given by equation:

[tex]z=\frac{1}{2a}(x^{2}+y^{2})[/tex]

(a is positive)

Reduce the question of finding the motion to quadratures.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I used Lagrange equations (1st kind) to find relevant equations for x, y and z, and after separating variables, transformation to polar coordinates [tex](r, \phi, z)[/tex] etc. I came up with the following equation (C is a constant dependent on initial conditions):

[tex]\ddot{r}-\frac{C}{r^{3}}=-\frac{1}{a^{2}}(r{\dot{r}}^{2}+r^{2}\ddot{r})-\frac{g}{a}r[/tex]

I don't have any idea how to integrate this equation, but maybe I've done things in an unnecessarily complicated way...

Physics news on Phys.org
neworder1 said:
I used Lagrange equations (1st kind) to find relevant equations for x, y and z, and after separating variables, transformation to polar coordinates [tex](r, \phi, z)[/tex] etc. I came up with the following equation (C is a constant dependent on initial conditions):

[tex]\ddot{r}-\frac{C}{r^{3}}=-\frac{1}{a^{2}}(r{\dot{r}}^{2}+r^{2}\ddot{r})-\frac{g}{a}r[/tex]

I don't have any idea how to integrate this equation, but maybe I've done things in an unnecessarily complicated way...

I get a slightly different equation in r.

Since

[tex] L = \frac{m}{2}\left(\dot{r}^2 + r^2 \dot{\theta}^2 + \dot{z}^2 \right) - mgz[/tex]

and

[tex] z=\frac{r^2}{a^2}[/tex]

[tex]\dot{z} = \frac{r \dot{r}}{a}[/tex]

and using

[tex] \frac{\partial L}{\partial \theta} = 0 = \frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{\theta}}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial r} = \frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{r}}[/tex]

I get

[tex]\frac{r \dot{r}}{a^2} -\frac{gr}{a} = \ddot{r} + \frac{2\dot{r}^2 + r^2 \ddot{r}}{a^2}[/tex]

How does the constant depending on the initial condition (which should be the component of the angular momentum, I guess) come into the final equation for r?

The way I actually obtained that equation is the following: because the body moves on the surface given by:
[tex]f=z-\frac{1}{2a}(x^{2}+y^{2})=0[/tex]

,the reaction force must be proportional to the constraint function's gradient, i.e.:

[tex]F_{r}=\lambda\nabla{f}[/tex] (Lagrange multipliers). So I get 3 equations:

[tex]m\ddot{x}=-\lambda\frac{x}{a}[/tex]

[tex]m\ddot{y}=-\lambda\frac{y}{a}[/tex]

[tex]m\ddot{z}=-mg+\lambda[/tex]

Using polar transformation leads to:

[tex]\ddot{x}=\ddot{r}cos\phi-2\dot{r}\dot{\phi}sin\phi-r\ddot{\phi}sin\phi-r{\dot{\phi}}^{2}cos\phi[/tex]

[tex]\ddot{y}=\ddot{r}sin\phi+2\dot{r}\dot{\phi}cos\phi+r\ddot{\phi}cos\phi-r{\dot{\phi}}^{2}sin\phi[/tex]
[tex]z=\frac{1}{2a}r^{2}[/tex]

[tex]\ddot{z}=\frac{1}{a}({\dot{r}}^{2}+r\ddot{r})[/tex]

After plugging these expressions into the original equations (plus eliminating [tex]\lambda[/tex] using [tex]z[/tex]) I get two new equations (1) and (2) for [tex]r[/tex] and [tex]\phi[/tex]. Our aim is to separate variables, so I do the following trick:

[tex](1)cos\phi+(2)sin\phi[/tex]
[tex](1)sin\phi-(2)cos\phi[/tex]

and I get another two equations:

[tex](1') \ddot{r}-r{\dot{\phi}}^{2}=-\frac{1}{a^{2}}(r{\dot{r}}^{2}+r\ddot{r})-\frac{g}{a}r[/tex]
[tex](2') 2\dot{r}\dot{\phi}+r\ddot{\phi}[/tex]

(2') is easily integrable and yields:
[tex]\dot{\phi}=\frac{C}{r^{2}}[/tex].

Plugging this into (1') results in the equation I've written in my first post.

Is there a mistake somewhere in these calculations? I know that this can be done quicker by writing apropriate lagrangians etc., but the problem's formulation was to do everything using this method (i.e. Lagrange multipliers).

Last edited:
neworder1 said:
Is there a mistake somewhere in these calculations? I know that this can be done quicker by writing apropriate lagrangians etc., but the problem's formulation was to do everything using this method (i.e. Lagrange multipliers).

I've not checked the calculations yet, but I think the final equation which describes the motion of r should be independent of the method. Since using the appropriate Lagrangian is much less time consuming, check if you get the same equation. That way, you'll know if there's a calculation error.

Related to Motion on a Paraboloid: Reduce to Quadratures

1. What is "Motion on a Paraboloid: Reduce to Quadratures"?

"Motion on a Paraboloid: Reduce to Quadratures" is a mathematical concept that involves the study of objects moving along a paraboloid-shaped surface and how their motion can be broken down into simpler, quadrature equations.

2. Why is it important to study motion on a paraboloid?

Studying motion on a paraboloid can help us better understand the complex motion of objects in real-life scenarios, such as satellites orbiting a planet or projectiles being launched into the air.

3. What are quadrature equations?

Quadrature equations are mathematical equations that involve finding the area under a curve. They are used in physics and engineering to solve problems related to motion, such as calculating the distance traveled by an object over a specific time period.

4. How is motion on a paraboloid reduced to quadratures?

Motion on a paraboloid is reduced to quadratures by breaking down the motion into simpler components, such as velocity and acceleration, and then using quadrature equations to solve for these components. This allows us to analyze the motion of objects on a paraboloid in a more systematic and organized way.

5. What are some real-world applications of "Motion on a Paraboloid: Reduce to Quadratures"?

Some real-world applications of "Motion on a Paraboloid: Reduce to Quadratures" include studying the trajectories of objects launched into the air, understanding the motion of satellites in orbit, and analyzing the movements of roller coasters. It also has applications in fields such as robotics, where understanding the motion of objects is crucial for designing and programming robots.