Motion Question: Calculating Change in Momentum and Resultant Force

• Thread starter MsTech
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary, a lorry with a mass of 1500kg increases its velocity from 12m/s to 20m/s. The change in momentum of the lorry is 12000kgm/s. To calculate the average resultant force applied on the lorry, we can use the impulse-momentum theorem which states that the impulse will equal the change in momentum. Therefore, the force can be calculated using the formula FΔt = Δ(mv).
MsTech

Homework Statement

A lorry of a mass 1500kg increases its velocity from 12m/s to 20m/s.

Homework Equations

a) calculate the change in momentum of the lorry.
b) The time taken for this change in velocity id 2 minutes. Calculate the average resultant force applied on the lorry.

The Attempt at a Solution

I worked out part a) by using the formula momentum= mv and got the ans 12000kgm/s
but i don't know how to work out part b.
Does anyone know how ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Look up the impulse-momentum theorem.

Thank you so the formula is that ? F⃗ Δt=Δp⃗ =m(v⃗ f−v⃗ i)
So the Force= mass (velocity * f orce - velocity* impulse)?

MsTech said:
Thank you so the formula is that ? F⃗ Δt=Δp⃗ =m(v⃗ f−v⃗ i)
So the Force= mass (velocity * f orce - velocity* impulse)?
Not exactly. Impulse = FΔt. The impulse momentum theorem states that the impulse will equal the change in momentum:

FΔt = Δ(mv) = m Δv

Ah i tought it didn't make sense ! Ok got it ! thanks a lot :-)

Related to Motion Question: Calculating Change in Momentum and Resultant Force

What is "A simple motion question"?

"A simple motion question" refers to a type of scientific inquiry that involves understanding the movement of objects or particles in relation to time, space, and other factors.

What are the key components of a simple motion question?

The key components of a simple motion question include the object or particle being studied, the forces acting on it, the distance it travels, and the time it takes to travel that distance.

How is a simple motion question typically solved?

A simple motion question is typically solved using mathematical equations that describe the relationship between distance, time, and velocity. These equations, such as the equation for velocity (v = d/t), can be used to calculate the unknown variables in a given motion problem.

What are some real-life examples of simple motion questions?

Real-life examples of simple motion questions include calculating the speed of a car on a highway, determining the acceleration of a ball rolling down a ramp, or finding the displacement of a runner during a race.

Why is understanding simple motion important in science?

Understanding simple motion is important in science because it helps us to better understand the physical world around us. It allows us to make predictions and solve problems related to movement, which can have practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and sports science.