Motion Questions: Newton's 2nd Law, Pile Driver GPE

• Thread starter blaziken's_charizard
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary: which is the same as the weight of the elevator2. force from the elevator pulling him upwards (assuming a constant acceleration).
blaziken's_charizard
1. Explain why the weight of a body changes if it is taken form the equator to one of the poles
2. With Reference to Newton’s Laws of Motion, determine the force that a man of mass 75.0kg exerts on the bottom of an elevator when it is
a. Ascending with a constant velocity of 2.5m/s
b. Descending with an acceleration of 4.0m/s2
3. A 100kg pile driver is suspended 12.0m above the ground where it is eventually released and falls, driving a pile into the ground
a. What is the gravitational potential energy before it is released and ½ way of its fall
b. Why the difference in gravitational potential energy above

[bThe attempt at a solution:[/b]
1. I will have to research question one, but any help would be appreciated.
2. Newton's second law of motion pertains to the behavior of objects for which all existing forces are not balanced. The second law states that the acceleration of an object is dependent upon two variables - the net force acting upon the object and the mass of the object. Newton's second law can be summarized by the formula:

f=ma
a) When ascending: f=75kg*2.5m/s^2 = 187.5 N
b) When descending: f=75kg*4m/s^2 = 300 N

I have a feeling that I am wrong because I didn't consider the motion of the elevator...

G.P.E=mgh= 100kg*10m/s^2*12m = 12000 J
G.P.E at half the distance= 1/2*12000J= 6000 J

There is a difference of the two G.P.E's above because G.P.E is defined by the formula: mass(m)*gravitational acceleration(g)*height(h). At half-way during the fall, the distance is also half so as a result the value of mgh would now be mgh/2 as opposed to the GPE just before the fall (mgh), and hence the difference in the two.

I think I have done a fair effort and it would be even better if I am corrected and guided, thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
blaziken's_charizard said:
[bThe attempt at a solution:[/b]
1. I will have to research question one, but any help would be appreciated.

Hint: consider Newton's Law of Gravitation
f=ma
a) When ascending: f=75kg*2.5m/s^2 = 187.5 N
b) When descending: f=75kg*4m/s^2 = 300 N

Part (a) is wrong. You mistook the 2.5 m/s velocity for a 2.5 m/s^2 acceleration. There is no acceleration. The elevator is moving up at a constant velocity. As a result, the net force on the system (elevator + man) = 0. Does this help you to answer the question? Look at it another way...when you are in an elevator that is not accelerating, you don't feel any heavier or lighter than normal, do you?

Part (b) doesn't look quite right either. I'd recommend drawing a free body diagram for the elevator + man. There are only two forces:

1. The weight of the (elevator + man) downward
2. The force pulling the elevator upward (e.g. from a cable).

Clearly, since the elevator is accelerating downward, the second force is slightly smaller than the first by an amount equal to (total mass)*a. To put it another way, there is a net downward force on the (elevator + man).

G.P.E=mgh= 100kg*10m/s^2*12m = 12000 J
G.P.E at half the distance= 1/2*12000J= 6000 J

There is a difference of the two G.P.E's above because G.P.E is defined by the formula: mass(m)*gravitational acceleration(g)*height(h). At half-way during the fall, the distance is also half so as a result the value of mgh would now be mgh/2 as opposed to the GPE just before the fall (mgh), and hence the difference in the two.

I haven't checked your math, but it's pretty trivial (just mgh) so I'm sure you got it right. As for the explanation, you're right. Appealing to the mathematical definition of potential energy is the most succint and therefore minimalist answer. However, to round out your explanation, I think it would be a good idea to explain what happened to the initial potential energy after having fallen halfway, i.e. where did it go? That way, you'd also be explaining why the potential energy changes with height and is given by mgh.

I think I have done a fair effort

Agreed

So could it be:

a) Weight of man (assuming g=10m/s^2)= 75*10=750N

Net force= force * acceleration
However, since there is a constant velocity, there would be no acceleration. Therefore: Net force= 750*0= 0N

Since there is no unbalanced force resulting in an acceleration, the force that the man exerts on the elevator is: 750 Newtons.

b) Net downward force= 75*4 = 300 N
Weight of man= 75*10= 750 N
Therefore, actual force exerted by man= 750 - 300 = 450 N

Am I correct? I have a gut feeling that the accleration downwards is a negative one...

Although your result may be right, I'm not 100% sure about how you arrived at it. This is the method that makes sense to me personally. Since you know the acceleration of the elevator, you know the acceleration of the man. So you can draw a FBD for the man only. There are two forces acting on him:

1. weight downward (call this w)

2. force pushing up on his feet (call this N).

We get for the net force F:

F = N + w

We know that F is negative (the accelerating of the elevator is downward), which suggests that N < w (the floor is not pushing up on the dude as much as his weight...as a result, he feels lighter. If the elevator were accelerating downward at g, the floor wouldn't push up on him at all. He'd be in free fall and would feel weightless). In this case, he just feels lighter.

plug the numbers in (using a "downward is negative" convention):

75*(-4) = N + 75*(-10)

N = 75*(-4) - 75*(-10) = -300 N - (-750 N) = 450 N

The floor pushes up on the man with this force (*less* than his weight).

Last edited:
Thank you very much.

Related to Motion Questions: Newton's 2nd Law, Pile Driver GPE

1. What is Newton's 2nd Law of Motion?

Newton's 2nd Law of Motion states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. In other words, the larger the force applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be. Similarly, the larger the mass of an object, the smaller its acceleration will be for the same amount of force applied.

2. How is Newton's 2nd Law applied in a pile driver?

In a pile driver, Newton's 2nd Law is applied by using a heavy weight to generate a large force that accelerates the pile into the ground. The weight of the pile driver creates a downward force (gravity), which then accelerates the pile downwards with a greater force than the resistance of the ground. This allows the pile to be driven deeper into the ground.

3. What is the relationship between work and gravitational potential energy?

The relationship between work and gravitational potential energy is that the work done on an object by a force is equal to the change in the object's gravitational potential energy. This means that when an object is lifted to a higher position, work is done against gravity and the object gains gravitational potential energy. Similarly, when an object falls, its potential energy is converted into kinetic energy and work is done by gravity.

4. How is gravitational potential energy (GPE) calculated?

Gravitational potential energy (GPE) is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2) and the height of the object from a reference point. The formula for GPE is GPE = mgh, where m is the mass of the object in kilograms, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the object in meters.

5. What is the relationship between mass and gravitational potential energy?

The relationship between mass and gravitational potential energy is that the more massive an object is, the greater its gravitational potential energy. This is because the mass is a factor in the formula for GPE (GPE = mgh), so the greater the mass, the greater the potential energy. However, the height of the object also plays a role in GPE, so a lighter object at a greater height may have the same GPE as a heavier object at a lower height.