Motion that changes from constant a to constant v

In summary, the problem involves a car and a bicycle starting from rest and accelerating at different rates until they reach their respective cruising speeds. The bike reaches its cruising speed first and maintains constant velocity for a certain time interval before the car catches up. The time interval and maximum distance between the bike and car can be calculated by determining when the bike transitions from constant acceleration to constant velocity and using the appropriate equations for each regime.
fizzle45

Homework Statement

As soon as a traffic light turns green, a car speeds up from rest to 50 mi/h with constant acceleration 9.00mi/h*s. In the adjoining bike lane, a cyclist sppeds up from rest to 20 mi/h with constant acceleration 13mi/h*s. Each vechicle maintains constant velocity after reaching its cruising speed. (a) for what time interval is the bicucle ahead of the car? (b) by what maximum distance does the bike lead the car?

Homework Equations

X(final)=X(initial) + Vx(t)
Vx(final)=Vx(initial)+ax(t)
X(final)=x(initial)+V(initial)t+1/2at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Im not really sure how to do this problem because the objects go from constant acceleration to constant velocity. Here is my guess.
for the bike it is constant a model until Vx is 20mi/h so when t=V(final)/a the bike changes from constant a model to the constant velocity model. So I plugged t into the constant velocity model for the bike getting X(final)=X(initial)+V(V/a). Then since I want to find when car passes bike i set equation 3 equal to the velocity bike model. x(initialcar)+V(initialcar)t+1/2a(car)t^2 = X(initialbike)+V(bike)(V(bike)/a(bike)). Then if i solve for t i should get the time interval for the bike being ahead of the car but I'm not 100%. To find X initial of bike I took equation 3 for t=v(final)/a. Numbers and conversions aren't important to me as learning how to do these types of problems where the object changes from constant A to V or other way around.

Physics news on Phys.org
You basically have three regimes.

Both accelerating.
One accelerating. One at max.
Both at max.

As you have apparently figured you determine the transitions between the regimes.

To know which equations you need to solve for - i.e. which regime from above - determine also when the slower transitions from acceleration to constant max. If it calculates out further ahead of the faster a one at max speed then you know to use the relationships of the second regime. If it is still behind, then the equations of the last regime, using the initial conditions you've found.

Your approach is correct. To find the time interval when the bike is ahead of the car, you need to equate the positions of both objects at that time. So your equation should be:

X(final bike) = X(final car)

Plugging in the values, you get:

V(bike)^2/(2a(bike)) = V(car)^2/(2a(car))

Solving for t, you get t = (V(bike)/a(bike)) * sqrt(a(car)/a(bike))

This gives you the time interval for the bike being ahead of the car. To find the maximum distance, you can plug this value of t into either of the position equations (X(final)=x(initial)+V(initial)t+1/2at^2) and calculate the distance at that time for both objects. Then take the difference between the two distances to find the maximum distance between them.

Hope this helps!

Related to Motion that changes from constant a to constant v

1. What is motion that changes from constant a to constant v?

Motion that changes from constant a to constant v is a type of motion where the acceleration of an object changes from a constant value to a constant velocity. This means that the object is initially accelerating at a constant rate, but then reaches a point where its velocity remains constant.

2. How does an object experience this type of motion?

An object experiences this type of motion when there is a net force acting on it. The object will accelerate until the net force is zero, at which point it will continue moving at a constant velocity.

3. Can an object experience both constant acceleration and constant velocity at the same time?

No, an object cannot experience both constant acceleration and constant velocity at the same time. This is because the two types of motion are mutually exclusive, as an object cannot be both accelerating and moving at a constant speed.

4. What is an example of motion that changes from constant a to constant v?

An example of this type of motion is a car accelerating from a stoplight. Initially, the car experiences constant acceleration as it speeds up, but once it reaches a certain speed, the acceleration stops and the car maintains a constant velocity.

5. How is this type of motion represented on a position-time graph?

This type of motion is represented on a position-time graph by a curved line that becomes a straight line. The curved line represents the initial acceleration, while the straight line represents the constant velocity once the acceleration stops.