Motional Emf: Solving for Speed with E=vBL

In summary, a 1.2 kg rod with a length of 1m and a resistance of 5 ohms slides down frictionless vertical conducting rails joined at the bottom. The circuit is resistance-less except for the rod. A uniform magnetic field of 3.0 T is perpendicular to the plane formed by the rod and rails. To determine the speed of the rod, we can use the equation E=vBL, where B=3 and L=1. The rod and rails form a triangular-shaped loop with magnetic flux passing through it. As the rod moves downward, the loop gets smaller. To solve for the other variables, we need to consider the relationship between resistance and induced emf, and the connection between emf and
kiltfish

Homework Statement

A 1.2 kg rod that has a length of 1m and a resistance of 5 ohms slides with constant speed down a pair of frictionless vertical conducting rails that are joined at the bottom. Other than the rod, the rest of the circuit is resistance-less. A uniform magnetic field of magnitude 3.0 T is perpendicular to the plane formed by the rod and the rails. Determine the speed of the rod.

Homework Equations

E=vBL

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that B=3 and L=1
How can I solve for the other two variables with only the information I'm given? Is there some connection I just don't see? What is the relationship between resistance and induced emf, and how would I even be able to guess the emf without knowledge of voltage?

Physics news on Phys.org
The rod and rails form a loop (a triangular-shaped loop). There is magnetic flux passing though the loop. The loop gets smaller as the rod moves downward...

Related to Motional Emf: Solving for Speed with E=vBL

What is the concept of Motional EMF?

Motional EMF, or electromagnetic force, is the voltage induced in a conductor moving through a magnetic field. It is caused by the relative motion between the conductor and the magnetic field and can be calculated using the equation E = vBL, where E is the induced voltage, v is the velocity of the conductor, B is the magnetic field strength, and L is the length of the conductor.

How is Motional EMF related to the speed of the conductor?

The equation E = vBL shows that the induced voltage is directly proportional to the speed of the conductor. This means that as the speed of the conductor increases, the induced voltage also increases.

Can Motional EMF be used to find the speed of a conductor?

Yes, the equation E = vBL can be rearranged to solve for the velocity of the conductor. This allows us to use Motional EMF as a tool to measure the speed of a conductor moving through a magnetic field.

What are the units for Motional EMF?

The units for Motional EMF are volts (V). This is because it is a measure of the induced voltage in the conductor.

How is Motional EMF used in real-world applications?

Motional EMF is used in a variety of applications, including generators, motors, and electric power production. It is also used in devices such as microphones and electric guitars to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy.

Back