Motions with zero launch angle.

In summary, the initial velocity of the cork as seen by an observer on the ground is 4.00m/s, and the speed of the cork is 5.00m/s. The equation used to calculate the maximum height reached by the cork is ymax = (v02sin2Θ)/2g.
matt@USA

Homework Statement

A hot-air balloon rises from the ground with a velocity of (3.00m/s)y. A champagne bottle is opened to celebrate takeoff, expelling the cork horizontally with a velocity of (4.00m/s)x relative to the balloon. When opened, the bottle is 5.00m above the ground.

What is the initial velocity of the cork, as seen by an observer on the ground?

What is the speed of the cork, as seen by the same observer?

Homework Equations

I am just confused as to what is what. All I need help with is, is making sure I am correct. I would say y=5.0m, and x=0 correct? I would then say that Vnotx is 4.0m/s, and Vnoty is 3.0m/s?

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Someone please help!

I would then say that Vnotx is 4.0m/s, and Vnoty is 3.0m/s?
That is correct for part 1. By the way it's V-naught-x/y, or better: V0x, V0y. :smile:

Is ymax not Vnaught^2(sin)^2theta/2(g)?

I prefer the more readable and less ambiguous: ymax = (v02sin2Θ)/2g.

FAQ: Motions with zero launch angle.

1. What is a motion with zero launch angle?

A motion with zero launch angle is when an object is launched or thrown horizontally, resulting in a trajectory that is parallel to the ground. This means that the object is not thrown upwards or downwards, but rather travels in a straight line.

2. What causes an object to have zero launch angle?

An object can have zero launch angle if it is thrown or launched horizontally, or if it is released from a height where the initial vertical velocity is zero. In other words, there is no upward or downward force acting on the object at the time of launch.

3. How does the motion of an object with zero launch angle differ from other motions?

The motion of an object with zero launch angle differs from other motions because there is no vertical component to its velocity. This means that the object will not experience any changes in its vertical position, only changes in its horizontal position.

4. What are some real-life examples of motions with zero launch angle?

Some real-life examples of motions with zero launch angle include throwing a frisbee, rolling a ball on a flat surface, and a car driving in a straight line on a level road. These motions all have a launch angle of 0 degrees, resulting in a horizontal trajectory.

5. How does air resistance affect an object with zero launch angle?

Air resistance can affect an object with zero launch angle by slowing down its horizontal motion due to friction. This means that the object will not travel as far as it would without air resistance. Additionally, air resistance can also cause the object to curve slightly downwards due to the force of gravity.

Back