Mounting Shaft to Plywood or Plastic - Ideas?

In summary, the person is looking for ideas on how to mount a shaft to a sheet of plywood or plastic without it rotating or moving. They have tried using a threaded shaft with nuts, but it still wobbles. One suggestion is to put a thick piece of hardwood or stack of plywood behind the main sheet to provide better stiffness and engagement for the shaft. They are open to other ideas and guidance on this matter.
nickthegenie
Hello,

As part of a project I'm working on, I need to mount a shaft to a sheet of plywood or plastic. On this shaft will sit a gear which rotates. The shaft, however, should not rotate or move in any way. I have tried using a threaded shaft, mounting it to wood just by screwing in two nuts on either side of the wood but I still run into some wobble with this configuration.

Does anyone have other ideas/configurations for mounting a shaft like this? I would appreciate any guidance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Put a thick piece of hardwood or stack of ply wood on back of main plywood sheet and drill through . Gives a longer length of engagement for shaft and improved stiffness .

Likes nickthegenie

Related to Mounting Shaft to Plywood or Plastic - Ideas?

1. How do I attach a mounting shaft to plywood or plastic?

There are multiple ways to attach a mounting shaft to plywood or plastic, depending on the specific application and materials involved. Some common methods include using screws, bolts, adhesives, or clamps. It is important to consider the weight and stability of the object being mounted, as well as the strength and durability of the mounting materials.

2. What type of mounting shaft should I use for plywood or plastic?

The type of mounting shaft you use will depend on the size and weight of the object being mounted, as well as the type and thickness of the plywood or plastic. In general, it is best to choose a mounting shaft that is strong enough to support the weight of the object and has a secure connection to the mounting surface.

3. Can I use the same method for mounting to both plywood and plastic?

While some methods of mounting, such as using screws or bolts, may work for both plywood and plastic, it is important to consider the specific properties of each material. For example, plastic may be more prone to cracking or breaking under pressure, so a different method or type of mounting shaft may be needed for optimal stability and durability.

4. How can I ensure my mounting shaft is securely attached to the plywood or plastic?

To ensure a secure attachment, it is important to choose an appropriate mounting shaft and method, as well as properly prepare the mounting surface. This may involve using the correct size and type of screws or bolts, applying a strong adhesive, or drilling and screwing through both the mounting shaft and surface for added stability.

5. Are there any alternative methods for mounting a shaft to plywood or plastic?

Yes, there are alternative methods for mounting a shaft to plywood or plastic, such as using brackets, clips, or clamps. These methods may be more suitable for certain applications or materials, so it is important to consider the specific needs and limitations of your project before deciding on a mounting method.