Mouse Trap Car, Materials Decision

In summary, the conversation is about building a mouse trap car that can go the longest distance. The participants discuss using a long arm and small axle to wheel ratio to increase the distance. They mention using CDs for the back wheels and a Victor mouse trap. They also discuss the materials needed for the axle and arm, including finding small bearings and using fishing line for the string. The speaker mentions having success with a Lego model but needs to decide on materials for the real thing. They also consider using graphite powder as a lubricant for the axle.
mike_302
I am to build a mouse trap car that goes the longest distance. From what I understand, I want to increase the distance by using a looong arm that I attach to the arm on the mousetrap. I want the string to only be hooked onto the axle so that it let's go when it gets to the end. I want a SMALL axle to wheel ratio in the back atleast. I am using 2 CD's for my back wheels, and a simple Victor mouse trap. The thing I am trying to figure out is this: What material am I going to use for the axle and arm? The arm only needs to be light, yet sturdy (and long)... The AXLE on the other hand, needs to be light, as small in diameter as possible, while still being able to get some sort of hook into it so that hte string will let go at the end of it. In conjunction, I need to worry about the ... part that the axle will go through on each side: Obviously using a wood axle with a wood frame would cause some friction as it turns. But I've had trouble finding extremely small (nylon) bearings, along with an axle that would fit them.

The other thing I need to worry about (slightly less so, but still) is this: the string that pulls the wheel. I figure fishing line is strong and light. Will that work?

Please be aware! I am not simply coming on here and asking for you guys to do my whole project... I HAVE built a model out of lego pieces so far, and that went about 2 meters with a 9" arm, and extremely wide wheels (with half the diameter of a CD), so I have had some success in this so far, but in building the REAL thing, I need to decide what materials I will use since I will likely need to go to several differnt stores to find them.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
mike_302 said:
But I've had trouble finding extremely small (nylon) bearings, along with an axle that would fit them.
There is the rub (the pun is intentional). You are asking for advice on materials that may or may not be available to you. I have not built one of these, but if I were to do so and wanted to solve a specific problem associated with it, I would go to my local hardware store, see what there is and try to imagine how it could fit into a solution of my problem. While doing so, I might discover graphite powder that could act as lubricant for axles going through holes, for example.

FAQ: Mouse Trap Car, Materials Decision

1. What materials are best for building a mouse trap car?

The best materials for building a mouse trap car are lightweight and sturdy, such as balsa wood, cardboard, plastic, and metal. You can also use recycled materials, such as bottle caps and straws, to reduce the cost of building the car.

2. What type of mousetrap should I use for my mouse trap car?

The type of mousetrap you use for your mouse trap car can vary, but the most commonly used is the traditional snap mousetrap. Other options include the lever snap trap or the glue trap. Make sure to choose a trap that is strong enough to provide the necessary force for the car to move.

3. How do I determine the size of the wheels for my mouse trap car?

The size of the wheels for your mouse trap car should be proportional to the size of the car itself. They should be large enough to reduce the friction between the car and the ground, but not too large that they add unnecessary weight. A good rule of thumb is to use wheels that are around 2-3 inches in diameter.

4. Can I add additional materials to my mouse trap car for better performance?

Yes, you can add additional materials to your mouse trap car to improve its performance. Some common additions include rubber bands for extra propulsion, popsicle sticks for added stability, and paperclips for weight distribution. Just make sure to keep the weight of the car in mind, as it can affect the overall speed and distance it can travel.

5. What factors should I consider when choosing materials for my mouse trap car?

When choosing materials for your mouse trap car, you should consider their weight, strength, and flexibility. You also want to make sure the materials are easy to work with and readily available. Additionally, think about the overall design and how the materials will work together to create a functional and efficient car.