Move Pendulum: Forces, Positions & Arbitrary Movements

• Thread starter mangaluve
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pendulum
In summary: I can just use the mouse to simulate the movement.Thanks!In summary, to move the pivot around, you would need to use the Lagrangian formalism. This involves some calculus, but it is a fairly straightforward process.
mangaluve
I'm doing some computer graphics and I'm pretty new to physics/mechanics. Right now I'm simulating a pendulum. But now I want to be able to move the pendulum to, the point to which the string is connected (for instance if I hold the pendulum between my fingers and move my hand). Now which forces are acting on the pendulum now, how can I update it's position? I'm simulating everything with a computer, so I want the movements to be arbitrary.

Physics news on Phys.org
mangaluve said:
I'm doing some computer graphics and I'm pretty new to physics/mechanics. Right now I'm simulating a pendulum. But now I want to be able to move the pendulum to, the point to which the string is connected (for instance if I hold the pendulum between my fingers and move my hand). Now which forces are acting on the pendulum now, how can I update it's position? I'm simulating everything with a computer, so I want the movements to be arbitrary.
Welcome to Physics Forums.

That all depends on the constraints placed on the motion of the pivot. If the pivot is contained to moved with a constant velocity, then the transformation is straight forward. If the pivot is accelerating at a constant rate, then the transformation is still fairly straightforward. If however, the pivot is allowed to accelerate arbitrarily then things could become a little more involved.

Thanks! Well actually I want to be able to move the pivot around with the mouse..any hints?

You might want to look into the Lagrangian formalism. It makes these sorts of things a lot easier, and it is especially apt to producing good things for computer simulations.

Using it requires some calculus, but that should be expected.

Thanks, any good links? Calculus is no problem...
Actually I don't need to get too much and deep information, this is just something I do for fun as a graphical effect

FAQ: Move Pendulum: Forces, Positions & Arbitrary Movements

1. What is a pendulum?

A pendulum is a weight suspended from a pivot point that can swing back and forth due to the force of gravity.

2. How does a pendulum move?

A pendulum moves due to the force of gravity pulling the weight towards the center of the Earth. As the weight swings back and forth, it creates an arc shape motion.

3. What is the relationship between the length of a pendulum and its movement?

The length of a pendulum affects its movement by changing the period, or the time it takes for one full swing. A longer pendulum has a longer period, while a shorter pendulum has a shorter period.

4. Can a pendulum move in any direction?

Yes, a pendulum can move in any direction as long as it is given an initial force. It will continue to move in that direction until an external force, like friction or air resistance, stops it.

5. How can I control the movement of a pendulum?

The movement of a pendulum can be controlled by changing the initial force given to the weight, adjusting the length of the pendulum, or altering the external forces acting on it. You can also use a motor or magnetic forces to control its movement.