Move tricycle in circle during x sec at speed s

In summary, the conversation discusses the need to move a tricycle around a circle in MATLAB using mathematical formulas. The variables provided include the center point between the back wheels, the angle of the tricycle, the angle of the front wheel, speed, and duration. The homework equations involve calculating the instant center of rotation using the position and angle of the front wheel. The attempt at a solution involves using trigonometry and geometry to calculate the position of the front wheel after movement and finding the position of the tricycle using the instant center of rotation.
transilvanian

Homework Statement

I need to get a tricycle to move around a circle (depending on the angle of the front wheel) in MATLAB (but any mathematical formulae would help).
I have the variables: M (x, y, theta) which is the center point between the 2 back wheels and the angle of the tricycle, the angle phi of the front wheel, the speed in m/s and the duration in s.

Homework Equations

The instant center or rotation calculated from the position and angle of the front wheel.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instant_centre_of_rotation

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what I got so far... and I am stuck.

function [x, y, theta] = MoveTricycle(M, phi, speed, duration)

front_wheel = [30*cos(M(3))+M(1) 30*sin(M(3))+Xt(2)];
distance = (v * dt)/2*pi;

alpha = 180-phi-90
radius = 30/cos(alpha);
ICR = [radius*cos(alpha*180/pi)+M(1) radius*sin(alpha*180/pi)+M(2)];
Angle_ICR = 180-90-alpha;front_wheel_after(1) = IRC(1) + cos(distance) * radius ;
front_wheel_after(2) = IRC(1) + sin(distance) * radius ;

% I need to find the position of M after the movement...
M = ?

I'm not even sure if the movement part is ok...
Thanks for your help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Does the following look like the right geometry?

Attachments

• tri071.jpg
    tri071.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 410

FAQ: Move tricycle in circle during x sec at speed s

1. How can I move a tricycle in a circle?

To move a tricycle in a circle, you will need to turn the handlebars in the direction that you want to go. This will cause the front wheel to turn and the tricycle to move in a circular path.

2. How long should I move the tricycle in a circle for?

The length of time you should move the tricycle in a circle depends on your specific experiment or purpose. However, for a standard scientific experiment, it is recommended to move the tricycle for at least 30 seconds to ensure accurate data collection.

3. What speed should the tricycle be moving at?

The speed of the tricycle should also be determined by your experiment or purpose. However, for a controlled and consistent experiment, it is recommended to use the same speed for each trial. You can measure the speed using a speedometer or by timing how long it takes to complete one full circle.

4. Can I change the speed while moving the tricycle in a circle?

Yes, you can change the speed of the tricycle while moving it in a circle. However, this may affect the data and results of your experiment. It is recommended to keep the speed constant for each trial to ensure accurate and reliable data.

5. What should I do if the tricycle does not move in a perfect circle?

If the tricycle does not move in a perfect circle, it could be due to various factors such as uneven ground, the condition of the tricycle, or your handling of the tricycle. To ensure accurate results, it is recommended to repeat the experiment on a flat and smooth surface and to check the tricycle for any issues before conducting the experiment.