Moving a conducting rod in a magnetic field

In summary, when a small conducting rod of length l moves with a uniform velocity v in a uniform magnetic field B, the end Y becomes positively charged due to the force acting on the electrons inside the rod. The direction of the force can be determined by knowing the direction of the electrons' velocity.
subhradeep mahata

Homework Statement

ck_5afe55284ad17.png

A small conducting rod of length l moves with a uniform velocity v in a uniform magnetic field B. Explain how the end Y becomes positively charged.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the concept, a force will act on the conductor which will push the electrons , and the end where electrons will be deficit will have positive charge. But I can't understand how to find the direction of force...I feel that the direction of induced current is also required. Please help me out ![/B]

Attachments

• ck_5afe55284ad17.png
    ck_5afe55284ad17.png
    8.8 KB · Views: 898
Physics news on Phys.org
subhradeep mahata said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 225965
A small conducting rod of length l moves with a uniform velocity v in a uniform magnetic field B. Explain how the end Y becomes positively charged.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the concept, a force will act on the conductor which will push the electrons , and the end where electrons will be deficit will have positive charge. But I can't understand how to find the direction of force...I feel that the direction of induced current is also required. Please help me out ![/B]
Think of the electrons inside the rod. You know the direction of their velocity so you can determine the direction of the magnetic force on them.

Oh yes ! Now i get it...
Thanks nrqed

Related to Moving a conducting rod in a magnetic field

1. How does moving a conducting rod in a magnetic field produce electricity?

When a conducting rod is moved in a magnetic field, it cuts through the lines of magnetic flux. This movement causes a change in the magnetic field, which in turn induces an electric current in the rod. This is known as electromagnetic induction.

2. How does the direction of the motion of the rod affect the induced current?

The direction of the motion of the rod is directly related to the direction of the induced current. If the motion of the rod is parallel to the lines of magnetic flux, no current will be induced. However, if the motion is perpendicular to the lines of flux, the induced current will be at its maximum.

3. What factors affect the amount of electricity produced when moving a conducting rod in a magnetic field?

The amount of electricity produced is affected by several factors, including the strength of the magnetic field, the speed of the rod's movement, the angle between the direction of motion and the lines of flux, and the length and material of the rod.

4. What is the relationship between the speed of the rod and the induced current?

The faster the rod moves through the magnetic field, the greater the change in the magnetic field and therefore the stronger the induced current. This relationship is linear, meaning that doubling the speed of the rod will result in double the induced current.

5. How is the direction of the induced current determined in a conducting rod moving in a magnetic field?

The direction of the induced current is determined by the right hand rule. If the thumb of the right hand points in the direction of the motion of the rod, and the fingers point in the direction of the magnetic field, then the palm will indicate the direction of the induced current.