Moving in a 2g gravitational environment

• Thread starter newjerseyrunner
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravitational
In summary, the extra gravity in the space station would cause the characters to feel twice their weight, but not twice the mass. They would eventually drop to all fours due to exhaustion and would not be in the environment for very long. Other affects of the extra gravity would be that their hearts would be beating hard and they might get lightheaded, but they would not pass out. The group would make it easier on themselves by heading for the nearest county fair and looking for a ride called Gravitron or Starship 2000 or similar.
newjerseyrunner
I have a chapter in a novel that involves a crew exploring a derelict space station. The station's systems are largely down, but the artificial gravity still works and is about twice the g force of Earth.

I wanted it to be low enough that a lay man would find it not terribly alien, but high enough that the characters in it are surprised at how it feels and manage to dislocate a shoulder and get a concussion from just tripping.

What would be some pitfalls about the extra gravity? The extra gravity should cause them to feel like they’re twice their weight, but not twice the mass. So holding themselves upright would be much harder but horizontal motion is the same. This is what trips up the crew because they have a hard time keeping balance.

I don’t think it should have any further effects than that. Their hearts would be beating hard and they might get lightheaded, but they shouldn’t pass out... right?

Eventually, they drop to all fours due to exhaustion and they aren’t in this environment for very long (few hours.)

What other affects would the extra gravity have and how might the group make it easier on themselves?

Physics news on Phys.org
Head for the nearest county fair and look for a ride called Gravitron or Starship 2000 or similar. That ride will subject you to 3G's acceleration. Unlike your derelict space station, the ride also is spinning at 24 RPM, so Coriolis effects may give you trouble. One big pitfall of increased gravity that many people miss is that you will fall twice as fast, but your reflexes are the same speed. You will fall before you can balance yourself. It is not like wearing a weighted suit while carrying a heavy backpack at 1G. Your characters don't need to trip, just not balance fast enough.

I was able to sit up without feeling lightheaded, but was not stupid enough to try standing up. A couple of kids got yelled at by the operator for trying to stand up.

I rode one of these rides about 10 years ago when my daughter was 12. She made me do it. I had to lay down for an hour afterward, while she spent the rest of the day riding it again and again and again and ...

Untitled.jpg

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 577
Likes hmmm27 and anorlunda
In 2G, as long as you're upright your internal organs would be trying to come unstuck and escape out your butt - uncomfortable, and nausea inducing after a few minutes.

Highly suggested is for the initial scouting be done by a former fighter pilot, preferably wearing a G-suit. If there aren't enough of those to go around for everybody, then weightbelts, girdles, ridiculously-tightly-cinched belts, etc. Unless the gang is <blare of trumpets> Space Force </bot>, they're going to want to spend most of those "couple of hours" sitting and laying down.

Last edited:
At 2g, your objects would fall ~1.414 times faster (In that, it takes 0.707 times as long for an object dropped in 2g to fall the same distance as an object dropped in 1g.)
In addition, it will be moving ~1.414 times as fast after falling the same distance. While walking you will topple forward a bit faster than you'll expect, meaning you might not get your back foot forward in time to catch yourself or it will hit the ground before you expect it to.

@jrmichler I've actually been on those before and considered using it as a basis, but then I realized that it's not quite the same thing because there is an element of angular momentum. I found I could sit up in the thing with relative ease, but couldn't move around a lot mostly because of gyroscopic effects, not "gravity."

@Janus, that's exactly the thing that causes my characters to fall and hurt themselves. The characters were expecting to simply feel heavier, but failed to realize that they don't need to spend any extra energy swinging their arms or legs harder.

@hmmm27 They have robotic probes at their disposal, so recon is done without humans. They have suits, which could be modified quickly for G forces. Is it really necessary? In the g suit wikipedia page, it mentions that the normal tolerance for a human is between 3 and 5. G suits are mostly to prevent pilots from passing out, but there should be almost no risk of that at only 2G. I figured it may make my astronauts nauseous, however, they'd just spent months in flight and their own artificial gravity system is primitive and makes them feel like their on a boat anyway. The ultra high-tech derelict's gravity is stronger, but completely stable, I think this will actually get rid of some of the nausea.

newjerseyrunner said:
They have suits, which could be modified quickly for G forces. Is it really necessary? In the g suit wikipedia page, it mentions that the normal tolerance for a human is between 3 and 5. G suits are mostly to prevent pilots from passing out, but there should be almost no risk of that at only 2G.

G-suits are made for pilots, who are sitting down, and the g-forces are transient. Nobody's going to be mobile under "5g" and I'd put money on that statement presupposing prone or possibly supine orientation.

I figured it may make my astronauts nauseous, however, they'd just spent months in flight and their own artificial gravity system is primitive and makes them feel like their on a boat anyway. The ultra high-tech derelict's gravity is stronger, but completely stable, I think this will actually get rid of some of the nausea.

That one's based on personal experience : I was up for a fun-flight in a Diamond Katana (with a real pilot in the other seat to make sure that any landings were preplanned), playing tag with some guy in a Yak55 (yes, very much like a 4 year old tossing a ball with a major league pitcher). I lasted about 10 minutes of occasional 2-3g swoops and turns, before my stomach decided it had had enough. Upshot, I barely made it to the ground and had to sit down for about half an hour (no regrets, though). I figure it was from my stomach pulling against its moorings : fighter and acrobatic pilots tense their abdominal muscles through g-manoeuvres (something I didn't try).

Last edited:
Likes newjerseyrunner
2g for few hours (as spent actively) is too much.
MIlitary gear weight is up to ~ 30-50kg, and it is already at an upper limit for highly trained personnel, with optimized distribution of weight. You expect those guys to carry 80+ kg, no optimization. Maybe some special forces supermen can do that, for a limited time.

Likes newjerseyrunner

Related to Moving in a 2g gravitational environment

1. What is a 2g gravitational environment?

A 2g gravitational environment refers to an environment where the gravitational force is twice as strong as the Earth's gravitational force. This could occur on a planet or moon with a higher mass or a smaller radius than Earth.

2. How does movement differ in a 2g gravitational environment compared to Earth?

In a 2g gravitational environment, objects will fall twice as fast and have twice the weight compared to Earth. This means that movements will feel more difficult and require more effort due to the increased gravitational force.

3. Can humans survive in a 2g gravitational environment?

It is possible for humans to survive in a 2g gravitational environment, but it would require significant adaptations and training. The increased gravitational force would put a strain on the body and could lead to health problems if not properly prepared for.

4. How would objects behave in a 2g gravitational environment?

Objects in a 2g gravitational environment would have a greater tendency to fall towards the ground and would have more weight. They would also experience stronger forces when in motion, making it more difficult to move or change direction.

5. How would a 2g gravitational environment affect the human body?

A 2g gravitational environment would put a greater strain on the human body, particularly on the bones and muscles. This could lead to bone and muscle density loss, as well as cardiovascular and respiratory issues. Proper training and equipment would be necessary for humans to safely function in a 2g environment.