Moving out of parent's house for first time

• Thread starter gfd43tg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Time
In summary, the most important things an expert would recommend an individual do when moving to a new state are: get a bank account, credit card, new driver's license, and file a W4 with the state.
gfd43tg
Gold Member
Hello,

I just got a new job and will be moving out of my parents house in California to New York. This is my first time moving out with the intention of it being a permanent departure. However, I am wondering what kinds of things should be my priority as soon as I move to a new state? Get a bank account (I have wells fargo, don't think they have in New York), credit card? new drivers license? What are the most important things I should do immediately when I get to New York?? This is all very new to me

Physics news on Phys.org
Maylis said:
I have wells fargo, don't think they have in New York
One will probably find Wells Fargo in most metropolitan and suburban areas. One should be able to go to Wells Fargo's website and find a location by zip code. If one has an account with WF, one will be able to use it in NY if there is a WF location nearby. Talk with WF about a credit card.

You will definitely need a new driver's license in NY. That's usually the case when one becomes a resident of a state. If one has a car, then the car must be registered in the state. You'll also need to file a W4 the state, since NY has a state income tax. Your job should do that for you.

Astronuc said:
If one has a car, then the car must be registered in the state

New York has a mandatory vehicle inspection which (unlike California, apparently) includes a safety inspection in addition to the emissions inspection that you're probably familiar with.

I lived in upstate NY for a couple of years, long ago. A few months after I moved there from Michigan which didn't have a vehicle inspection, I came back to my parked car one day and found a ticket for a missing inspection sticker. When I got home, I looked in my car paperwork folder, and sure enough, there it was. I hadn't realized I had to put it on my windshield. :blushing:

Maylis said:
I have wells fargo, don't think they have in New York
Looks like they're in NYC, Westchester and Long Island, but not in the upstate.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
jtbell said:
Looks like they're in NYC, Westchester and Long Island, but not in the upstate.
Also, northern NJ scattered around Rutherford. WF is in the Hudson Valley, as far north as Kingston, but most are down near I-84.

In moving to Rochester, they don't have it. I will probably go to Bank of America since those seem to be virtually everywhere

My bank has one branch. I've never been there. In today's world, the existence of local bank branches is a non-issue.

So how do you get cash from an ATM without paying a fee for using another banks machine?

If you're going to be in the area for a while, check out the local credit unions.

Maylis said:
So how do you get cash from an ATM without paying a fee for using another banks machine?
My bank charges no atm fees and refunds me other banks' atm fees.

Regardless, I go to atms pretty rarely anyway. I use cards for most transactions and many places where you make debit purchases allow you to get cash out with the purchase.

Likes Evo
Before my daughter moved to Denver, we went to our credit union where she set-up an account that could be accessed there and that I could make deposits into here. You know, in case of an emergency. :olduhh:

Likes Evo
russ_watters said:
My bank charges no atm fees and refunds me other banks' atm fees.
Wells Fargo will do the same... https://www.wellsfargo.com/help/faqs/debit-card/.

If you aren't a member already, I'd recommend joining AAA. Especially with your driving cross-country and driving in unfamiliar areas in NY, it's nice to have the backup of roadside assistance. Also, at least here in Cali, you can go to your local AAA office to conduct most of your DMV transactions, which is a huge help. The DMV offices have gotten better about wait times when you are able to make an appointment ahead of time, but you will still spend hours there for many transactions. If you go to the AAA office (without an appointment needed) at most times, the wait time in line is just minutes.

So doing a quick search, it looks like there are different branches of AAA depending on what state/region you are in. Maybe call your local Cali AAA office to find out if you have to join the NY branch, or if you can join in Cali before you start your trip and transfer to the NY branch when you get there...

http://www.ny.aaa.com/Automotive.aspx

Likes Evo, gfd43tg and dlgoff
Buy snow gear. For you and the your vehicle. Replace the coolant with antifreeze if you are coming from far enough south that is not used there.

BoB

dlgoff said:
Before my daughter moved to Denver, we went to our credit union where she set-up an account that could be accessed there and that I could make deposits into here. You know, in case of an emergency. :olduhh:
Evo Child and I have the same arrangement, even though her company has moved her to 2 different states in a year with promotions, (and looks like she's just got #3), she's kept her bank account here that I am included on, so I can transfer money in and out of her account, which came in handy this week while she was out of town and discovered that she was a victim of debit card theft (luckily her bank caught the first charge and shut her card down, she lost no money) and I was able to move her money to my account and allow her the use of my cards.

And Maylis, congratulations on the new job!

Last edited:
Likes dlgoff, gfd43tg and berkeman
If your vehicle isn't new, and has a few little problems, it might be easier on you to sell the vehicle and buy one in NY, to avoid the inspection... Buy a plane ticket, ship your stuff on a pallet if you have that much, and get the rest of it locally

Rx7man said:
If your vehicle isn't new, and has a few little problems, it might be easier on you to sell the vehicle and buy one in NY, to avoid the inspection... Buy a plane ticket, ship your stuff on a pallet if you have that much, and get the rest of it locally

For most people ditching your stuff at the source and buying new at the destination is not an option. A road trip is usually much cheaper especially if you only have one car full.

Actually if you have much more than that you have even more incentive of getting your stuff from point A to B. Overseas is more problematic but that is not the OP's concern.

BoB

It's just something to consider.. Inspection fees and repairs can quickly add up on older vehicles... I don't know how old the OP is, but it doesn't sound like this will include a truckload of heritage furniture and family keepsakes.

True. The OP sounds like they are not hauling much baggage so the plane ticket and go may be an option. It all depends on the amount of cash on hand.

BoB

Likes Rx7man
  • Getting a bank account in your physical area might be nice, as previously discussed.
  • Find out what is included in your rent and what is not. Some landlords include water, electricity, parking and trash as part of the rent. Some others only include only some or none of them. Get plans from local utilities accordingly. For example, if electricity is not included in your rent, one of the first things you'll want to do is set up an account with the local electricity provider -- otherwise, after your first month, you might be without lights. In one place I lived, parking was not included in the rent. These things vary from one landlord to the next.
  • Phone service/cell phone service. Check ahead of time whether your current cellphone carrier even works in Rochester New York. If it does in your area, check to see how good it is where you live once you get there. Whether you get a new carrier or not, you should at least update your billing address.
  • Internet service. We'll need you here on PF, and you'll have to access the Internet somehow.
  • New driver's license from new state. This will likely require that you retake the drivers' tests. Traffic laws differ from one state to the next so they will make you take a new test. Study the traffic laws in the new state (download the drivers' handbook now for study). (For example, until recently, you could not legally make a right turn on red in New York -- that would come as a surprise to most Californians). Even if you are moving to a new place within the same state, you are required to update your drivers license with the new address.
  • Primary Care Physician. If you ever need medical care, you'll need one of these, local to your area.
  • Clothing. People dress nicer on the East Coast. That might not sink in until you get there though. It's hard to describe without experiencing it. You'll know it though when you walk outside and everybody looks at you and treats you differently.
suit1.png

suit2.png

Likes gfd43tg, ProfuselyQuarky and Tsu
I was able to get my car from my grandmother in Ohio because my grandfather passed away and she didn't need his car. So I was able to drive from Ohio to New York without a problem. The car is new (2012) and only has 15,000 miles, so I am in good shape there. I got a chase bank account because of their nationwide presence and more accessibility when I go home or travel to other states on business. I'm working on getting a doctor, dentist, and optometrist after Memorial Day. I will also need to get a new state license.

electricity, water, gas, parking, and internet is all included in my $450/month rent. It is cheap here !

Likes dlgoff
Maylis said:
I was able to get my car from my grandmother in Ohio because my grandfather passed away and she didn't need his car. So I was able to drive from Ohio to New York without a problem. The car is new (2012) and only has 15,000 miles, so I am in good shape there. I got a chase bank account because of their nationwide presence and more accessibility when I go home or travel to other states on business. I'm working on getting a doctor, dentist, and optometrist after Memorial Day. I will also need to get a new state license.

electricity, water, gas, parking, and internet is all included in my $450/month rent. It is cheap here !
Nice. I'm glad things are moving smoothly for you. :partytime:

Maylis said:
Holy cow! :smile:

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
Maylis said:

My experience is that I would soon be able to meet my neighbors who were like my mom (of course it also depends on how sociable you are). I had been really sad during the first few months after leaving home. I didn't know how to do things on my own without my mom. For the bank thing, I used to create a new account then got it filled up via remote transfers or deposits, etc.
Wow $450 for an apartment in NY. I don't know about the living standard there but from what you say, you seem satisfied. :smile: Good luck anyway!

Related to Moving out of parent's house for first time

What are some important things to consider before moving out of my parent's house for the first time?

Before making the decision to move out of your parent's house, it is important to consider your financial stability, living expenses, and any potential challenges that may arise. You should also have a plan for how you will support yourself and manage your responsibilities.

How can I financially prepare for moving out of my parent's house?

Start by creating a budget to determine your monthly expenses and how much you can afford for rent, utilities, groceries, and other necessities. It is also important to have savings for unexpected expenses and to establish credit if you don't have any yet.

What are some common challenges that come with moving out of my parent's house for the first time?

Some common challenges include managing finances, adjusting to living alone or with roommates, dealing with household chores and responsibilities, and maintaining a healthy work-life balance. It is important to have a support system and be prepared to face these challenges.

How can I make the transition of moving out of my parent's house smoother?

Start by having open and honest communication with your parents about your decision to move out. You can also seek advice from friends or family members who have gone through a similar experience. Make sure to plan and prepare ahead of time to minimize any stress or difficulties.

What should I do if I am feeling homesick after moving out of my parent's house?

It is completely normal to feel homesick after moving out of your parent's house for the first time. Try to stay connected with your family and friends through phone calls, video chats, or visits. Also, try to get involved in your new community and make new friends to help ease the transition.