MS Physics Engineering or straight to PhD?

In summary, an associate's degree from a Colorado two-year is accepted by CU as a prerequisite for admission to a four-year university, so it makes sense to go to a CC before transferring. After completing your B.S., it is advisable to enter a Ph.D. program.
perry.randall
Hello,

I didn't see a place to post introductions, so I suppose I'll jump right in.

I'm currently going back to school after a six year stint in the finance industry (protip: not a fun or fulfilling field). The way that Colorado's Department of Higher Education has the university system structured, it makes the most sense to go to a CC to get an associate's degree before transferring to a four-year, as CU is required to admit anyone with an AS from a Colorado two-year as a junior.

My question, then: understanding that my goal is to get a PhD in particle physics/cosmology in the long term, would it make sense to try and head straight into a PhD program after my BS, or to spend an extra year to get an MS in Engineering Physics? I would be inclined to try and get into the doctoral program were it not for the fact that my wife's work will have us relocating to Geneva in a few years, and CERN appears to always be looking for engineers. My logic is, if I get a job there as an engineer and later leave to get my PhD at ETH or somesuch, I will already have both contacts and standing if I choose to go back as a researcher.

I would greatly appreciate the input of the community.

Kind regards,

Perry

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are certain that you want a Ph.D., you should enter a Ph.D. program after you have completed your B.S. That is the usual path in the U.S.

Also, I can't speak for CERN, but at the national lab where I work, there are *many* Ph.D.'s in physics working as engineers. So 1) you probably don't need an M.S. in Engineering Physics if being an engineer at CERN is your goal, and 2) you probably don't want to present yourself as an engineer if your goal is to do research.

Hello TMFKAN64,

Thank you for your perspective. It's interesting that you mention that you work at a national lab--I've been looking at possibly interning for one at some point, but everything that I've seen appears to be devoted to coming up with new and fancy weapons systems, which is something that I have a few qualms about. In your opinion, is this the case? Or would there be opportunity to do work that has a more pacifistic focus?

Regards,

Perry

perry.randall said:
... everything that I've seen appears to be devoted to coming up with new and fancy weapons systems, which is something that I have a few qualms about. In your opinion, is this the case?

There are many national labs and they each have a slightly different focus. As you say, many of them, unsurprisingly, are focused on weapons research. However, even at these labs, there are usually projects that are not weapons-related. And on the other extreme, there are some national labs where no classified research is done at all.

TMFKAN64 said:
There are many national labs and they each have a slightly different focus. As you say, many of them, unsurprisingly, are focused on weapons research. However, even at these labs, there are usually projects that are not weapons-related. And on the other extreme, there are some national labs where no classified research is done at all.

Hello TMFKAN64,

Thank you for the information. I really appreciate it.

Regards,

Perry

Related to MS Physics Engineering or straight to PhD?

1. Should I pursue an MS in Physics Engineering before applying for a PhD program?

It depends on your career goals and personal preferences. Getting an MS in Physics Engineering can provide you with a solid foundation in the field and may increase your chances of getting accepted into a PhD program. However, some students choose to go straight into a PhD program to save time and money.

2. What are the benefits of getting an MS in Physics Engineering?

An MS in Physics Engineering can provide you with advanced knowledge and skills in the field, making you a more competitive candidate for jobs in industry or academia. It can also serve as a stepping stone to a PhD program and may offer opportunities for research and networking.

3. Can I go straight to a PhD program without having an MS in Physics Engineering?

Yes, many universities offer direct entry into a PhD program for highly qualified students. However, it is important to research the specific requirements and expectations of the program you are interested in to determine if this is a viable option for you.

4. How long does it take to complete an MS in Physics Engineering and a PhD program?

The length of time varies depending on the program and the student's pace of study. Generally, an MS in Physics Engineering can take 1-2 years to complete, while a PhD program can take 4-6 years. However, some students may complete both degrees in a shorter or longer time frame.

5. What are the career options for someone with an MS in Physics Engineering or a PhD in Physics Engineering?

Graduates with an MS in Physics Engineering or a PhD in Physics Engineering have a wide range of career options. They can work in research and development, engineering, academia, government agencies, and more. Some may also find opportunities in fields such as finance, consulting, and data science.