MSc in Mathematical Statistics.

In summary, the MSc in Mathematical Statistics program is a graduate program that focuses on the mathematical foundations and techniques of statistics. It typically requires applicants to have a bachelor's degree in mathematics, statistics, or a related field and a strong background in mathematics. Graduates have a wide range of career opportunities in industries such as finance, insurance, healthcare, and technology, and the program can be completed in 1-2 years of full-time study. Many graduates also go on to pursue a PhD in a related field.
Pyrrhus
Homework Helper
Hey all,

I will soon be graduating with a MSc in Transportation Engineering. I'm currently writing my thesis, and probably by May 2010 will be done. However, I am unsure I am willing to go for a PhD, at least not in this field. During my time in my Master, I found out I can only do practitioner's work (use the models to predict travel demand and such), because I don't enjoy the transportation research. However, I did enjoy the high amount of mathematical statistics involved, so I decided maybe I should give another MSc a try (not a PhD because maybe I just hate research in general?), but this time in Stat.

Does anyone has any opinion/advice? if not, which schools could you recommend for this?

I, myself, have looked at three schools so far: OSU, Boston U, and U of Florida.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Congratulations on nearing the completion of your MSc in Transportation Engineering! It sounds like you have put a lot of thought into your career path and have identified your strengths and interests. Pursuing a second Master's degree in Statistics could be a great option for you, as it allows you to build upon your mathematical and statistical skills while also exploring a different field of study.

In terms of schools, it's always a good idea to do some research on the specific programs and faculty in the Statistics departments at each university. You may also want to consider reaching out to current students or alumni to get their perspectives on the program and their experiences. Additionally, attending conferences or workshops in the field of Statistics can help you network and learn more about different programs and research opportunities.

Ultimately, the decision to pursue a second Master's degree is a personal one and it's important to choose a program and field of study that aligns with your interests and goals. Best of luck in your decision-making process and future endeavors!

As a scientist with a background in mathematical statistics, I can understand your hesitation about pursuing a PhD in transportation engineering. It is important to find a field that you are truly passionate about and enjoy doing research in. However, I also believe that having a strong foundation in mathematical statistics can be beneficial in many different fields, including transportation engineering.

If you are considering pursuing another MSc in statistics, I would recommend researching different programs and finding one that aligns with your interests and career goals. Some top schools for statistics include Stanford University, University of California, Berkeley, and University of Michigan. It may also be helpful to reach out to current students or alumni from these programs to get their perspectives and advice.

Additionally, I would suggest exploring different career paths in both transportation engineering and statistical analysis. There may be opportunities to combine your skills in both fields and find a job that you truly enjoy. Best of luck in your decision-making process!

Related to MSc in Mathematical Statistics.

1. What is the MSc in Mathematical Statistics program?

The MSc in Mathematical Statistics is a graduate program that focuses on the mathematical foundations and techniques of statistics. It combines advanced coursework in mathematics and statistics with practical applications in various fields such as finance, engineering, and social sciences.

2. What are the admission requirements for the MSc in Mathematical Statistics program?

To be admitted into the MSc in Mathematical Statistics program, applicants typically need to have a bachelor's degree in mathematics, statistics, or a related field. A strong background in mathematics, including calculus and linear algebra, is also required. Some programs may also require applicants to have a certain GPA and/or letters of recommendation.

3. What career opportunities are available with an MSc in Mathematical Statistics?

Graduates of the MSc in Mathematical Statistics program have a wide range of career opportunities in industries such as finance, insurance, healthcare, and technology. They can work as data analysts, statisticians, risk analysts, and research scientists, among others.

4. How long does it take to complete the MSc in Mathematical Statistics program?

The duration of the MSc in Mathematical Statistics program varies depending on the institution and the student's enrollment status. On average, it takes 1-2 years of full-time study to complete the program. Part-time and online options may also be available, which can take longer to complete.

5. Can I pursue a PhD after completing the MSc in Mathematical Statistics?

Yes, many graduates of the MSc in Mathematical Statistics program go on to pursue a PhD in a related field. The program provides a strong foundation in both theoretical and applied aspects of statistics, making it an excellent preparation for further study at the doctoral level.