[MSc thesis ideas] Solar PV with use of quantum physics

In summary, the speaker is seeking ideas for their MSc thesis related to solar PV and materials incorporating quantum mechanics. They have considered using quantum dots to improve efficiency, but are open to other ideas and willing to acknowledge any suggestions from others. They have a background in Physics and will have plenty of time to experiment and increase their knowledge before completing the project. The speaker is wondering if they will have the academic freedom to choose their own project, or if they will need to work with an advisor whose research interests align with theirs.
astralfx
Hello,

I need some ideas for my MSc thesis. I am wanting it to be related to solar PV with the use of materials incorporating quantum mechanics.

My first idea was to use quantum dots to improve solar cell efficiency, from the papers I have read there are numerous ways to achieve this, but I have yet to think of something new or updated from someone else. The prices were from < 100 - a few 100 for these materials, which can be sponsored by my uni.

But yeah, now I am thinking of more ideas rather than sticking to one, so I can choose the best one. So if you have any ideas for a good project relating to solar PV and QM, please feel free to help me. In fact if the idea which any of this forum member posts, I will acknowledge you in my "acknowledgments" section when I publish it ^^

My background in Physics is only from A-level, but since last summer I have been taking out Physics books and bringing up my knowledge to the required field. I am still studying QM, but since I have until the end of September to complete this project I have plenty of time, to experiment with my project and up my knowledge of Physics and QM during this year.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
BUMP anyone thought of anything.

I don't have any relevant suggestions, but: is this something you've already discussed with your prospective thesis adviser? I've never heard of a Master's thesis where someone just decided completely on their own what they wanted to do a project in. Typically, you find an adviser whose interests are broadly aligned with yours, and if they agree to take you on they suggest a project you could work on that fits with the group's current research objectives. This might mean taking on a component of a larger project the group is researching, or starting something new that the professor is interested in pursuing. If you're keen on the suggestion, you accept the offer. Are you sure you are going to have the extreme amount of academic freedom that this post suggests you think you will?

Last edited:

Related to [MSc thesis ideas] Solar PV with use of quantum physics

1. What is the potential impact of incorporating quantum physics into solar PV technology?

The incorporation of quantum physics into solar PV technology has the potential to significantly increase the efficiency and performance of solar panels. This is because quantum physics allows for the control and manipulation of individual particles, which can lead to more precise and efficient energy conversion.

2. How can quantum physics improve the efficiency of solar PV cells?

One way quantum physics can improve the efficiency of solar PV cells is through the use of quantum dots. These are tiny nanoparticles that can be integrated into the solar panel to capture a wider range of light wavelengths and convert them into electricity. Additionally, quantum tunneling can be utilized to reduce energy loss during the conversion process.

3. What are some potential challenges in implementing quantum physics in solar PV technology?

One challenge is the high cost of incorporating quantum technology into solar panels. Another challenge is the complexity of the technology, which may require specialized knowledge and equipment. Additionally, there may be regulatory and safety concerns that need to be addressed before widespread implementation.

4. How can quantum physics be used to improve the durability of solar PV cells?

Quantum physics can be used to create more robust and durable solar panels by developing materials that are more resistant to degradation and wear. This can prolong the lifespan of solar cells and reduce the need for frequent replacements, making solar energy more cost-effective and sustainable.

5. Are there any current research or developments in the field of quantum PV technology?

Yes, there is ongoing research and development in this field, with many companies and institutions investing in the potential of quantum-enhanced solar PV technology. Some promising developments include the use of perovskite materials, which have shown high efficiency in converting light into electricity, and the integration of quantum dots into traditional solar panels.