Can I Solve This Mechanics Problem Without Any Help?

In summary, the conversation revolves around a student facing difficulty with a multiple step problem in their mechanics class. They express frustration with always getting the wrong answer and not being able to detect their mistakes or gaps in knowledge. The conversation ends with the suggestion that the only way to always get the right answer is to have a perfect understanding and never make mistakes. The student is advised to seek help with their specific problem in order to identify and correct any errors or misunderstandings.
puleknow
So I have a multiple step problem for my mechanics class and the teacher decided to write his own solutions.

I know exactly how to attempt and finish the problem. I know it will be wrong. Recently if I try things on my own there will be a slight gap in the knowledge or math, or magic physics magic that will lead to be the problem being completely incorrect to my understanding of it. Its getting slightly better the more problems I do, but this one has no solutions so there is about as much chance of my knowing if I solved the problem correctly as there is about detecting gravitational waves with a overcooked scallop.

Physics news on Phys.org
puleknow said:
So I have a multiple step problem for my mechanics class and the teacher decided to write his own solutions.

I know exactly how to attempt and finish the problem. I know it will be wrong. Recently if I try things on my own there will be a slight gap in the knowledge or math, or magic physics magic that will lead to be the problem being completely incorrect to my understanding of it. Its getting slightly better the more problems I do, but this one has no solutions so there is about as much chance of my knowing if I solved the problem correctly as there is about detecting gravitational waves with a overcooked scallop.
And is there a point to this rant or did you just need to get that off your chest?

phinds said:
And is there a point to this rant or did you just need to get that off your chest?

uhh yeah. How do I do this problem if its going to be wrong?

puleknow said:
uhh yeah. How do I do this problem if its going to be wrong?
Since you have given us no clue what the problem IS, I wouldn't have a clue how you might go about solving it.

Likes PhysicsOfLearning
phinds said:
Since you have given us no clue what the problem IS, I wouldn't have a clue how you might go about solving it.

that is not the point. The point i how can you be certain about what the correct answer is regardless of the problem.

puleknow said:
that is not the point. The point i how can you be certain about what the correct answer is regardless of the problem.
Sorry but that question makes no sense to me so I can't help you.

Likes PhysicsOfLearning
phinds said:
Sorry but that question makes no sense to me so I can't help you.

sure sure.

Look, the only way to always be right on a problem is to make no mistakes. If you got a wrong answer then you made a mistake. That might just be because you accidentally put something in a calculator wrong, or it might be that you have an incorrect or incomplete understanding of the theory. If you want some magic way of always getting the right answer, the only thing I can give you is "always understand it perfectly" and "never make a mistake". Those are pretty general solutions, I think.

If you tell us the specific problem and list your work, we might be able to help you find either the mistake or the misunderstanding, whichever it is. Without that, there is really nothing to give.

Well, since this OP was recently banned (not for this thread), there is no point trying to help them anymore with this question. Thread is closed.

Related to Can I Solve This Mechanics Problem Without Any Help?

1. What is "Much panic, no solutions."?

"Much panic, no solutions." is a phrase that refers to a situation in which there is a great deal of fear and anxiety, but no clear or effective ways to address the problem at hand.

2. How is "Much panic, no solutions." relevant to science?

In the field of science, "Much panic, no solutions." can refer to a complex or urgent problem that does not have a clear solution based on current knowledge and technology. It highlights the need for continued research and innovation to find effective solutions.

3. What are some examples of "Much panic, no solutions." in scientific contexts?

Examples of "Much panic, no solutions." in science can include issues such as global climate change, antibiotic resistance, and emerging diseases. These are complex problems that require interdisciplinary approaches and ongoing research to find solutions.

4. How can scientists address "Much panic, no solutions."?

Scientists can address "Much panic, no solutions." by conducting research, collaborating with other experts, and communicating their findings to the public and policymakers. They can also advocate for continued funding and support for scientific research to find solutions to pressing problems.

5. What can individuals do to help with "Much panic, no solutions."?

Individuals can help with "Much panic, no solutions." by staying informed about important scientific issues, supporting and advocating for scientific research, and making lifestyle choices that promote sustainability and responsible use of resources. They can also participate in citizen science projects and engage in discussions with their communities about potential solutions.