Mulitvariable Calculus Four Dimensional Sphere

As_a_region_of_integrationIn summary, the given task is to use double polar coordinates in R^4 to compute the 4-dimensional volume of a ball in the form of x^2 + y^2 + z^2 + w^2 = R^2. The first step is to substitute the polar coordinates into the equation and simplify using the identity cos^2(θ) + sin^2(θ) = 1. The next step is to set up a 4D integral to find the volume, similar to finding the volume of a 3D sphere.
Girth

Homework Statement

Use double polar coordinates x=rcosθ y=rsinθ z=scosφ w=ssinφ in R^4
to compute the 4-dimensional volume of the ball x^2 +y^2 +z^2+w^2 = R^22. The attempt at a solution
I first substituted the polar coordinates into the given equation getting: r^2cos^2(θ)+r^2sin^2(θ)+s^2cos^2(φ)+r^2sin^2(φ) = R^2
this simplified to r^2 + s^2 = R^2 using the identity: cos^2(θ)+sin^2(θ)=1
After this I'm confused with where to go. Any tips would help, thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Girth said:

Homework Statement

Use double polar coordinates x=rcosθ y=rsinθ z=scosφ w=ssinφ in R^4
to compute the 4-dimensional volume of the ball x^2 +y^2 +z^2+w^2 = R^2

2. The attempt at a solution
I first substituted the polar coordinates into the given equation getting: r^2cos^2(θ)+r^2sin^2(θ)+s^2cos^2(φ)+r^2sin^2(φ) = R^2
this simplified to r^2 + s^2 = R^2 using the identity: cos^2(θ)+sin^2(θ)=1
After this I'm confused with where to go. Any tips would help, thanks.

To find the volume I think you must setup a 4D integral similar to how one finds the volume of a 3D sphere:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N-sphere

FAQ: Mulitvariable Calculus Four Dimensional Sphere

1. What is a four-dimensional sphere?

A four-dimensional sphere, also known as a hypersphere, is a geometric shape that exists in four-dimensional space. It is the higher-dimensional analogue of a three-dimensional sphere, which is a perfectly round object in three-dimensional space.

2. How is a four-dimensional sphere different from a three-dimensional sphere?

A four-dimensional sphere has one more dimension than a three-dimensional sphere. This means that it has one more coordinate that is needed to describe its position in space. Additionally, the surface of a four-dimensional sphere is not a smooth, continuous shape like a three-dimensional sphere, but instead has a crinkled appearance.

3. What is multivariable calculus used for in relation to four-dimensional spheres?

Multivariable calculus is used to study the properties and behavior of four-dimensional spheres. It involves the use of partial derivatives, multiple integrals, and vector calculus to analyze functions that are defined on four-dimensional space. This allows us to understand the curvature, volume, and other characteristics of four-dimensional spheres.

4. Can we visualize a four-dimensional sphere?

It is difficult for humans to visualize objects in four-dimensional space, as we are limited to experiencing three dimensions. However, some mathematicians and scientists have developed techniques for visualizing four-dimensional objects, such as using computer-generated images or projections onto lower-dimensional spaces.

5. What are some real-world applications of four-dimensional spheres?

Four-dimensional spheres have applications in physics, particularly in the theory of relativity. They are used to explain the curvature of spacetime and the behavior of objects moving in four-dimensional space. They are also used in computer graphics and animation, where higher-dimensional objects are often used to represent complex shapes and movements.

Back