Multi-Section Beam Bending Calculations

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the individual needs help calculating the deflection of a shaft with varying sections due to the applied forces. They can either manually break the shaft into smaller sections and use the equation for deflection or use a finite element analysis software for a more accurate result.
MaxOtis
Hello all,

I have a shaft supported on both sides with a charge on each bearing, as shown on the following link: http://www.engineersedge.com/beam_bending/beam_bending4.htm

I need to calculate the shaft deflection with the formula provided on the website, but my shaft often have different section (ie Ø23 mm machined to Ø20 mm for the bearings). I am not too sure how to calculate a deflection since the Moment of Intertia will depend on the position.

Thank you very much for any help.

Max Otis

Engineering news on Phys.org

Hello Max,

Thank you for sharing your question with the forum. I am happy to help you with your calculation for the shaft deflection.

Firstly, it is important to understand that the moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in rotation. In this case, it is related to the deflection of the shaft due to the applied forces. When the shaft has different sections, the moment of inertia will vary along the length of the shaft.

To calculate the deflection of the shaft, you will need to use the equation for deflection due to bending moment:

δ = (PL^3)/(3EI)

Where:
δ = deflection
P = applied load
L = length of the shaft
E = Young's modulus of the material
I = moment of inertia

To account for the varying moment of inertia, you will need to break the shaft into smaller sections and calculate the moment of inertia for each section. Then, you can use the equation above to calculate the deflection for each section and add them together to get the total deflection of the shaft.

Alternatively, you can use a finite element analysis software to accurately calculate the deflection of the shaft with varying sections. This method will take into account all the different variables and provide a more precise result.

I hope this helps you with your calculation. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask. Good luck with your project!

FAQ: Multi-Section Beam Bending Calculations

1. What is multi-section beam bending calculation?

Multi-section beam bending calculation is a mathematical method used to determine the behavior of beams under bending loads. It takes into consideration the material properties, beam geometry, and applied loads to calculate the internal stresses and deflections in a beam.

2. Why is multi-section beam bending calculation important?

Multi-section beam bending calculation is important because it allows engineers and scientists to accurately predict the performance of beams in various applications. This information is crucial in designing safe and efficient structures.

3. What are the key parameters involved in multi-section beam bending calculation?

The key parameters involved in multi-section beam bending calculation include the material properties of the beam, such as Young's modulus and moment of inertia, the beam's geometry, such as length and cross-sectional shape, and the applied loads, such as point loads or distributed loads.

4. How is multi-section beam bending calculation performed?

Multi-section beam bending calculation involves solving a series of equations derived from the fundamental principles of mechanics and material behavior. This can be done manually using mathematical formulas or with the help of computer software programs.

5. What are some real-world applications of multi-section beam bending calculation?

Multi-section beam bending calculation has many real-world applications, including designing and analyzing bridges, buildings, and other structures, as well as in the aerospace and automotive industries. It is also used in the design of everyday objects such as furniture and machinery.

Back