Multimeter reads different current with LED in series?

In summary, AlephZero is saying that you are doing something wrong and that you could damage your meter if you try to measure the current through an LED in parallel with a voltage source.
JackWellington
I need help. I was under the impression that LED's in series should have the same current running through them and one's in parallel should have different currents because of the voltage drop variation in the individual LED's. When I put them in parallel, my multimeter shows the voltage across each LED changing as I add or remove them to the circuit but the current for each one stays the same. I attached a diagram of my circuit.

Attachments

• circuit.jpg
    circuit.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 356
Engineering news on Phys.org
Calculate the voltage drop across the limiting resistor as the total current changes when you add / remove the LEDs.

You can then measure the V drop on the resistor to confirm your calculations.

You are doing something wrong here.Your measurement doesn't make sense.

if you have 19 mA through each LED, you have 3 x 19 = 57mA through the resistor, so the voltage drop across the resostor = 330 x 0.057 = 18.8 V. But you only have a 6V battery!

Are you setting the meter to the current range and the putting it in parallel with each LED? If you do that, you are short circuiting the LEDs and you just have the battery in series with the resistor. The current would then be about 6 / 330 = 0.018 A which is close to the 19mA you measured.

If that is what you did, you should see that all the LEDs go out when you make the current measrement.

If you want to measure the current through an LED, you have to put the meter in series with that LED, not in parallel.

Thanks AlephZero, yeah I was putting the meter in parallel. It makes sense now.

JackWellington said:
yeah I was putting the meter in parallel.

Well, at least you made the mistake on a low voltage circuit with a fairly wimpy battery power supply.

On a really bad day, doing that produces a flash and a bang, and vaporizes parts of your meter. (Yeah I know the marketing for digital meters says they have internal protection - but don't believe everything you read in advertisements!)

Thanks for the clarification. I'm kind of new to this in case you couldn't tell.

AlephZero said:
Well, at least you made the mistake on a low voltage circuit with a fairly wimpy battery power supply.

On a really bad day, doing that produces a flash and a bang, and vaporizes parts of your meter. (Yeah I know the marketing for digital meters says they have internal protection - but don't believe everything you read in advertisements!)

There is usually good protection against simple overload. However, hooking a current meter in parallel with a voltage source is considered misuse/abuse. There is a difference.

Related to Multimeter reads different current with LED in series?

1. Why does my multimeter read a different current when an LED is in series?

When an LED is in series with a multimeter, it acts as a resistor and can impact the overall resistance of the circuit. As a result, the current flowing through the circuit can change and be different from what the multimeter is reading.

2. Is the multimeter giving an accurate reading with the LED in series?

No, the multimeter may not be giving an accurate reading because the presence of the LED changes the resistance of the circuit. It is important to take this into consideration when interpreting the readings.

3. How can I ensure an accurate reading when using a multimeter with an LED in series?

To ensure an accurate reading, you can use a voltage divider circuit to measure the voltage drop across the LED and then calculate the current using Ohm's Law. Alternatively, you can use a multimeter with a built-in current limiting feature.

4. Will the type of LED impact the current reading on the multimeter?

Yes, the type of LED can impact the current reading because different types of LEDs have different forward voltage drops and resistance values. This will affect the overall resistance of the circuit and therefore the current reading on the multimeter.

5. Can an LED damage my multimeter?

In most cases, an LED will not damage a multimeter. However, if the LED has a higher voltage than the maximum voltage that the multimeter can handle, it can potentially damage the multimeter. It is important to check the specifications of your multimeter before using it with an LED.