Multiphase flow through a porous medium

• Thread starter william Alex
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flow Medium
In summary, I am simulating flow through porous medium with VOF method and species transport. For phase change i have Lee Model, and i have no idea about the evaporation frequency and condensation frequency.
william Alex
I am simulating flow through porous medium with VOF method and species transport. For phase change i have Lee Model, and i have no idea about the evaporation frequency and condensation frequency
Second I am using the evaporation frequency as 30. The liquid is n-heptane while for vapour phase i have 25 species and 34 reaction.
I am getting results but the temperature is very lower and second my flame is away from the porous medium

Engineering news on Phys.org
I suspect that this is such a hyperfocused question that the odds of anyone here being familiar with the topic are fairly slim.

boneh3ad said:
I suspect that this is such a hyperfocused question that the odds of anyone here being familiar with the topic are fairly slim.
Sir Let me explain.
I have a capillary tube with ID 0.2 mm. At inlet i give mass flux with liquid phase. At the exit of the capillary tube i define a region where i patch temperature. I am getting divergence error in pressure coupling etc.
My Solver setting as follow
VOF
Steady
Surface Tension
Species Transport Volumetric
Simple
URF are 0.2 to 0.3

what solver are you using? If it is from ANSYS you can contact them through the customer portal and ask their advice.

Just getting a solution for a single phase heptane flame will be a challenge, let alone simulating it together with the entire evaporation of the fuel in a porous medium. These multiphysics problems are usually spatially separated. Do you really need to simulate them inside a single simulation? Have you tried simulating only the heptane flame? Even for a skeleton mechanism like the one you are using, such a simulation can take quite some time.

bigfooted said:
what solver are you using? If it is from ANSYS you can contact them through the customer portal and ask their advice.

Well thanks for reply.
I am using VOF with two phase. The primary phase is my mixture imported from chemkin while my secondary phase is heptane liquid. for mass thransfer mechanism i am using lee model, but evaporation frequency is confusing term. I really appreciate your help.

FAQ: Multiphase flow through a porous medium

1. What is multiphase flow through a porous medium?

Multiphase flow through a porous medium refers to the movement of two or more fluids (such as gas and liquid) through a porous material, such as soil, rock, or sand. This can occur in natural systems, such as groundwater flow, or in engineered systems, such as oil extraction.

2. What factors affect multiphase flow through a porous medium?

There are several factors that can affect multiphase flow through a porous medium, including the properties of the fluid (such as viscosity and density), the properties of the porous medium (such as pore size and connectivity), and the physical conditions (such as pressure and temperature).

3. What are the applications of studying multiphase flow through a porous medium?

Studying multiphase flow through a porous medium has many applications, including groundwater management, oil and gas exploration and production, and environmental remediation. It is also important for understanding the movement of contaminants in soil and groundwater systems.

4. What methods are used to study multiphase flow through a porous medium?

There are several methods that can be used to study multiphase flow through a porous medium, including laboratory experiments, numerical simulations, and field studies. These methods can provide valuable insights into the behavior of fluids in porous materials and help to inform engineering and environmental decisions.

5. What are some challenges in studying multiphase flow through a porous medium?

One of the main challenges in studying multiphase flow through a porous medium is the complex nature of the process. The interactions between different phases and the porous medium can be difficult to model and predict accurately. Additionally, obtaining accurate measurements and data from real-world systems can also be challenging.