Multiple Integrals with parallelogram

In summary, we are using a given transformation to evaluate an integral over a parallelogram with specific vertices. The bounds of the parallelogram are -4≤u≤4 and 4≤v≤0. The transformation changes the area element from dxdy to dudv, taking into account a dilatation of 2. This results in an answer of 640 instead of 320.
ghostrider989
Use the given transformation to evaluate the given integral, where R is the parallelogram with vertices (-2, 2), (2, -2), (4, 0), and (0, 4).

∫∫(2x+8y)dA; x=1/2(u+v) y=1/2(v-u)

I found the bounds of the parallelogram of -4≤u≤4 and 4≤v≤0

so i set the equation to be

∫∫(2(1/2(u+v))+8(1/2(v-u))dudv with the bounds been written in there

am i on the right track

Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds good. Did you also transform the "dA"?

yeah i change it to dudv but the answer i got was 320 and i am not sure that is right afther doing all teh integration and plugging in what am i doing wrong?

changing it du dudv is not quite correct.

What you do is employ the transformation

[tex]
\left(\stackrel{x}{y}\right)\mapsto\left(\stackrel{u}{v}\right)=\left(\begin{array}{cc}1 & -1 \\ 1 & 1\end{array} \right)\left(\stackrel{x}{y}\right)
[/tex]
This transformation matrix has determinant 2 so you should account for this dilatation of the area element dA:

dxdy = 2dudv

Last edited:
so the answer would be 640 instead of 320

FAQ: Multiple Integrals with parallelogram

1. What is a multiple integral with a parallelogram?

A multiple integral with a parallelogram is a type of integration where the region of integration is a parallelogram in two-dimensional space.

2. How is a multiple integral with a parallelogram calculated?

A multiple integral with a parallelogram is calculated by dividing the region of integration into smaller, rectangular subregions and then integrating over each subregion.

3. What is the difference between a single integral and a multiple integral with a parallelogram?

A single integral is used to find the area under a curve in one-dimensional space, while a multiple integral with a parallelogram is used to find the volume under a surface in two-dimensional space.

4. What is the importance of using a parallelogram in multiple integrals?

A parallelogram is often used in multiple integrals because it simplifies the calculation process and allows for easier visualization of the region of integration.

5. Can multiple integrals with parallelograms be used in higher dimensions?

Yes, multiple integrals with parallelograms can be extended to higher dimensions, such as three-dimensional space, by dividing the region of integration into smaller, parallelepiped subregions.

Back