Multiple resistors not in series / parallel

In summary, the circuit involves a pd being applied from point A to B, with point C in the center of the circle. By using Kirchoff's laws, the relations between the currents can be determined. The total resistance across AB can be calculated by using simultaneous equations. By removing the 3R resistor from the circuit, it can be seen that the potential at C and D would be the same, leading to a current of zero through the 3R resistor. Symmetry can be used to simplify the circuit and determine the magnitudes of the currents in terms of V. For part 4, the circuit can be redrawn with CD as the base and the resistance across CD can be determined by applying a pd across it.
trollcast
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Circuit as shown: (sorry about the amazing paint skills)

attachment.php?attachmentid=53235&stc=1&d=1353615807.png

The pd is being applied from A to B (C is in the centre of the circle)

(1) Determine the relations between the current by reversing V and using symmetry or by any other suitable method

(2) Calculate the total resistance across AB

(3) Determine the magnitudes of the currents in terms of V

(4) Redraw the circuit with CD as the base.
If the pd is now applied across CD determine the resistance across CD

(5) Redraw the circuit with AC as the base. Explain why the resistance across AC cannot be calculated in terms of resistances in series / parallel

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(1) Using Kirchoffs Current Law

$$
I_1 + I_3 + I_5 = V/R_T \\

I_2 + I_4 + I_5 = V/R_T \\

I_3 + I_6 = I_4 \\

I_1 = I_2 + I_6 \\
$$

Using Kirchoffs Voltage Law

$$
-2I_1-2I_2+2I_5=0 \\
-2I_1-3I_6+I_3=0\\
-I_3-I_4+2I_5=0\\
3I_6-2I_2+I4=0\\
-I_4+2I_5-I_3=0\\
$$

(2) I can see that I can use the equations from (1) as simultaneous equations and therefore work out the resistance?

Attachments

• CIRCUIT.png
    CIRCUIT.png
    5.2 KB · Views: 652
Physics news on Phys.org
Did you try it and see?
7 unknowns and 9 equations certainly looks promising.

You can certainly attack the problem with KCL and KVL to arrive at a solution, but sometimes an appeal to symmetry can lead to a quicker and more elegant result.

Take a look at the 3R resistor. Suppose for a moment that it was removed from the circuit. How would the potential at D compare to the potential at C?

gneill said:
You can certainly attack the problem with KCL and KVL to arrive at a solution, but sometimes an appeal to symmetry can lead to a quicker and more elegant result.

Take a look at the 3R resistor. Suppose for a moment that it was removed from the circuit. How would the potential at D compare to the potential at C?

Without the 3R resistor the potential at C and D would be the same as the pd from A to C to B is split between a 1R and 1R resistor.

The pd from A to D to B is again split between a 2R and 2R resistor so its half the pd?

trollcast said:
Without the 3R resistor the potential at C and D would be the same as the pd from A to C to B is split between a 1R and 1R resistor.

The pd from A to D to B is again split between a 2R and 2R resistor so its half the pd?

Right. What does that tell you about the current through the 3R resistor? Does the 3R resistor have any effect on the circuit?

gneill said:
Right. What does that tell you about the current through the 3R resistor? Does the 3R resistor have any effect on the circuit?

It must equal zero ?

So not all the currents indicated in that circuit are actually flowing then?

trollcast said:
It must equal zero ?
Yup.
So not all the currents indicated in that circuit are actually flowing then?
Zero is a perfectly good number :smile:

If a current through a branch happens to be zero you can remove that branch. Or, equivalently, if two nodes have the same potential you can join them with a short circuit (direct wire) without affecting the circuit operation. So here you can either remove the 3R resistor or replace it with a wire. That should make things easier to analyze.

gneill said:

Could you please explain how symmetry would show a relation between the currents ?

for (3), would
i2=i1=[itex]\frac{V}{4}[/itex]
i3=i4=[itex]\frac{V}{2}[/itex]
be the correct answer to (3)?

Last edited:
quantum2013 said:
Could you please explain how symmetry would show a relation between the currents ?

for (3) would
i2=i1=[itex]\frac{V}{4}[/itex]
i3=i4=[itex]\frac{V}{2}[/itex]
be the correct answer to the (3)?
That's the idea, although technically you should include the R's in the expressions:

##i_1 = i_2 = \frac{V}{4R}##

##i_3 = i_4 = \frac{V}{2R}##

and don't forget to include expressions for the currents ##i_5## and ##i_6## .

gneill said:
That's the idea, although technically you should include the R's in the expressions:

##i_1 = i_2 = \frac{V}{4R}##

##i_3 = i_4 = \frac{V}{2R}##

and don't forget to include expressions for the currents ##i_5## and ##i_6## .

##i_5= \frac{V}{2R}##
##i_6=0## because ##i_6=-i_6##

Why are you including R's in the expressions if the question asks for magnitude of the currents in V?

gneill how would you go about answering parts 4 and 5 of the question?

quantum2013 said:
##i_5= \frac{V}{2R}##
##i_6=0## because ##i_6=-i_6##

Why are you including R's in the expressions if the question asks for magnitude of the currents in V?

Because R is some resistor constant (a value that is specified only as a symbol in the problem statement). V is in volts, and Volts over Resistance yields current.

quantum2013 said:
gneill how would you go about answering parts 4 and 5 of the question?

Why don't you make an attempt? We can't do your homework for you here...

FAQ: Multiple resistors not in series / parallel

What is the difference between resistors in series and resistors in parallel?

In a series circuit, resistors are connected one after the other in a single path. The current passing through each resistor is the same, but the total resistance of the circuit is equal to the sum of the individual resistances. In a parallel circuit, resistors are connected across multiple paths. The total resistance of the circuit is less than the smallest individual resistor, and the current is divided between the resistors.

How do I calculate the total resistance of a circuit with multiple resistors not in series or parallel?

To calculate the total resistance, you can use the equation: 1/Rt = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 + ... where Rt is the total resistance and R1, R2, R3, etc. are the individual resistances. This formula is known as the parallel resistance formula.

Can I use the same formula to calculate the total resistance of resistors in series?

No, the formula for calculating the total resistance of a series circuit is Rt = R1 + R2 + R3 + ... where Rt is the total resistance and R1, R2, R3, etc. are the individual resistances. This formula is known as the series resistance formula.

What happens to the total resistance when resistors are added in parallel?

When resistors are added in parallel, the total resistance decreases. This is because the current is divided between the resistors, resulting in a lower overall resistance. As more resistors are added in parallel, the total resistance approaches zero.

Why would I use resistors not in series or parallel in a circuit?

Resistors not in series or parallel can be used to create customized resistance values in a circuit. They can also be used to distribute current unevenly or to create voltage dividers. Additionally, some circuits may require specific configurations that cannot be achieved with just series or parallel resistors.