Multiplicative group of matrices is nilpotent

In summary, the conversation discusses how to show that the multiplicative group of matrices of the form $\begin{pmatrix}1 & x & y \\ 0 & 1 & z \\ 0 & 0 & 1 \end{pmatrix}$ with entries from a field $M$ is nilpotent. The participants discuss computing the center of $G$ and determining if it commutes with every element in $G$. They conclude that the center is a specific form of matrices and discuss how to compute the factor group $G/Z(G)$ to determine the nilpotency of $G$.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

Let $M$ be a field and $G$ the multiplicative group of matrices of the form $\begin{pmatrix}
1 & x & y \\
0 & 1 & z \\
0 & 0 & 1
\end{pmatrix}$ with $x,y,z\in M$.

I want to show that $G$ is nilpotent.

Could you maybe give me some hints what we could do in this case? (Wondering)

Do we have to find the order of this group? Or isn't this possible? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi mathmari,

First start by computing the center $Z(G)$ of $G$. It will be something recognizable. ;)

Euge said:
Hi mathmari,

First start by computing the center $Z(G)$ of $G$. It will be something recognizable. ;)

We have that $Z(G)=\{z\in G \mid \forall g\in G, zg=gz\}$.

Let $z=\begin{pmatrix}
1 & \tilde{x} & \tilde{y} \\
0 & 1 & \tilde{z} \\
0 & 0 & 1
\end{pmatrix}$ and $g=\begin{pmatrix}
1 & x & y \\
0 & 1 & z \\
0 & 0 & 1
\end{pmatrix}$.

Then $$zg=\begin{pmatrix}
0 & 1 & \tilde{z} \\
0 & 0 & 1
\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}
1 & x & y \\
0 & 1 & z \\
0 & 0 & 1
\end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix}
1 & x+\tilde{x} & y+\tilde{x}z+\tilde{y} \\
0 & 1 & z+\tilde{z} \\
0 & 0 & 1
\end{pmatrix}$$ and $$gz=\begin{pmatrix}
1 & x & y \\
0 & 1 & z \\
0 & 0 & 1
\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}
0 & 1 & \tilde{z} \\
0 & 0 & 1
1 & \tilde{x}+x & \tilde{y}+x\tilde{z}+y \\
0 & 1 & \tilde{z}+z \\
0 & 0 & 1
\end{pmatrix}$$

So, it must be $$\begin{pmatrix}
1 & x+\tilde{x} & y+\tilde{x}z+\tilde{y} \\
0 & 1 & z+\tilde{z} \\
0 & 0 & 1
1 & \tilde{x}+x & \tilde{y}+x\tilde{z}+y \\
0 & 1 & \tilde{z}+z \\
0 & 0 & 1
\end{pmatrix} \Rightarrow \tilde{x}z=x\tilde{z}$$ right? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
We have that $Z(G)=\{z\in G \mid \forall g\in G, zg=gz\}$.

Let $z=\begin{pmatrix}
0 & 1 & \tilde{z} \\
0 & 0 & 1
\end{pmatrix}$ and $g=\begin{pmatrix}
1 & x & y \\
0 & 1 & z \\
0 & 0 & 1
\end{pmatrix}$.

Then $$\vdots$$ $$ \tilde{x}z=x\tilde{z}$$ right? (Wondering)
So if that is true for all $x,z\in M$, what does that tell you?

Last edited:
Opalg said:
So if that is true for all $x,z\in M$, what does that tell you?

That $Z(G)=G$, or not? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
That $Z(G)=G$, or not? (Wondering)
No, that would mean that the whole group $G$ is commutative, which it certainly isn't. For example, the matrices $$\begin{pmatrix}1&1&0 \\ 0&1&0 \\ 0&0&1\end{pmatrix}, \quad \begin{pmatrix}1&0&0 \\ 0&1&1 \\ 0&0&1\end{pmatrix}$$ do not commute.For the matrix $z$ to be in the centre $Z(G)$, it has to commute with every element $g\in G$. (In your notation, one of the elements of the matrix $g$ is $z$, which also denotes the whole matrix $z\in Z(G)$. Not the best choice of notation, so be careful not to confuse the two $z$s.) So we are looking at a (fixed) matrix $z$ with (fixed) entries $\tilde{x}, \tilde{y}, \tilde{z}$ above the diagonal. We want to know whether it commutes with every matrix in $G$. As you showed, this means that $\tilde{x}$ and $\tilde{z}$ must satisfy $\tilde{x}z = x\tilde{z}$ for every $x$ and $z$ in $M$. In particular, you could choose $x$ and $z$ to be the zero or identity elements $0,1\in M$. What does that tell you about $\tilde{x}$ and $\tilde{z}$?

Last edited:
Opalg said:
No, that would mean that the whole group $G$ is commutative, which it certainly isn't. For example, the matrices $$\begin{pmatrix}1&1&0 \\ 0&1&0 \\ 0&0&1\end{pmatrix}, \quad \begin{pmatrix}1&0&0 \\ 0&1&1 \\ 0&0&1\end{pmatrix}$$ do not commute.

Ah ok... (Thinking)
Opalg said:
For the matrix $z$ to be in the centre $Z(G)$, it has to commute with every element $g\in G$. (In your notation, one of the elements of the matrix $g$ is $z$, which also denotes the whole matrix $z\in Z(G)$. Not the best choice of notation, so be careful not to confuse the two $z$s.)

So, not to get confused, let's define $Z(G)=\{a\in G \mid \forall g\in G, ag=ga\}$, so we want that the matrix $a$ is in the center $Z(G)$.

Opalg said:
So we are looking at a (fixed) matrix $z$ with (fixed) entries $\tilde{x}, \tilde{y}, \tilde{z}$ above the diagonal. We want to know whether it commutes with every matrix in $G$. As you showed, this means that $\tilde{x}$ and $\tilde{z}$ must satisfy $\tilde{x}z = x\tilde{z}$ for every $x$ and $z$ in $M$. In particular, you could choose $x$ and $z$ to be the zero or identity elements $0,1\in M$. What does that tell you about $\tilde{x}$ and $\tilde{z}$?

So that the (fixed) matrix $a$ with (fixed) entries $\tilde{x}, \tilde{y}, \tilde{z}$ above the diagonal, commutes with every matrix in $G$, $\tilde{x}$ and $\tilde{z}$ must satisfy $\tilde{x}z = x\tilde{z}$, $\forall x , z \in M$.

Do you mean do take $x=0$ and $z=1$ ? (Wondering)

If you mean this, then we have $\tilde{x}=0$. But what information do we get from that for $\tilde{x}$ and $\tilde{z}$ in general? (Wondering)

I got stuck right now...

mathmari said:
Do you mean do take $x=0$ and $z=1$ ? (Wondering)

If you mean this, then we have $\tilde{x}=0$. But what information do we get from that for $\tilde{x}$ and $\tilde{z}$ in general? (Wondering)

I got stuck right now...
Good. So you know that if $a\in Z(G)$ then $\tilde{x}=0$. Similarly, if you take $x=1$ and $z=0$ then you get $\tilde{z}=0$. In that case, the matrix $a$ becomes $\begin{pmatrix}1&0&\tilde{y} \\ 0&1&0 \\ 0&0&1\end{pmatrix}.$ So $Z(G)$ consists of all matrices of that form ($1$s on the main diagonal, anything at all in the top right-hand corner, and zeros everywhere else).

So now that you have followed Euge's hint and identified the centre of $G$, you need to remind yourself of the definition of nilpotency and how $Z(G)$ might be relevant there.

The next thing to do is to compute the factor group $G/Z(G)$. Mathmari, what can you say about $G/Z(G)$?

Euge said:
The next thing to do is to compute the factor group $G/Z(G)$. Mathmari, what can you say about $G/Z(G)$?

How can we compute the factor group $G/Z(G)$ ? (Wondering)
Could you give me a hint? (Wondering)

What are the left cosets of $Z(G)$?

Euge said:
What are the left cosets of $Z(G)$?

The left cosets of $Z(G)$ are $$Z(G)g=\{ag \mid a\in Z(G)\}, g\in G$$

Since $Z(G)=\{a\in G \mid \forall g\in G, ag=ga\}$, we have that for $g\in G$ $$Z(G)g=\{ag \mid a\in Z(G)\}=\{ga \mid a\in Z(G)\}=gZ(G)$$ right? (Wondering)

You actually wrote down right cosets in the first statement, but it doesn't particularly matter. What do the cosets look like, more explicitly? Don't just use $g$ to denote an element of $G$.

Euge said:
You actually wrote down right cosets in the first statement, but it doesn't particularly matter.

Oh yes... (Blush)
Euge said:
What do the cosets look like, more explicitly? Don't just use $g$ to denote an element of $G$.

What do you mean? (Wondering)

Your $g$ is a certain kind of matrix, isn't it? What form does it take?

Euge said:
Your $g$ is a certain kind of matrix, isn't it? What form does it take?

It is a matrix of the form $\begin{pmatrix}
1 & x & y \\
0 & 1 & z \\
0 & 0 & 1
\end{pmatrix}$, right? (Wondering)

Correct. So a typical coset of $Z(G)$ looks like

$$\begin{pmatrix}1 & x & y\\0 & 1 & z\\0 & 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}Z(G)$$

where $x,y,z\in M$. Note that for every $y\in M$ the above coset is the same as the coset

$$\begin{pmatrix}1 & x & 0\\0 & 1 & z\\0 & 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}Z(G)$$

since

$$\begin{pmatrix}1 & x & y\\0 & 1 & z\\0 & 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}^{-1}\begin{pmatrix}1 & x & 0\\0 & 1 & z\\0 & 0 & 1\end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix}1 & 0 & -y \\0 & 1 & 0\\0 & 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}\in Z(G)$$

Furthermore, two cosets

$$\begin{pmatrix}1 & x_1 & y_1\\0 & 1 & z_1\\0 & 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}Z(G) \quad \text{and}\quad \begin{pmatrix}1 & x_2 & y_2\\0 & 1 & z_2\\0 & 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}Z(G)$$

are equal if and only if $x_1 = x_2$ and $z_1 = z_2$. Hence, every coset of $G/Z(G)$ is uniquely represented by an element of the form

$$\begin{pmatrix} 1 & x & 0\\0 & 1 & z\\0 & 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}$$

If $g$ and $h$ are matrices of that form, then $gh$ and $hg$ have the same $(1,2)$- and $(2,3)$-entries. So they represent the same coset of $Z(G)$. Consequently, $G/Z(G)$ is abelian.

I asked you to consider $G/Z(G)$ element-wise because I wanted you to see exactly how the elements look like. But we could have proceeded as follows. The mapping $\Phi : G \to M \times M$ given by

$$\Phi\left(\begin{pmatrix}1 & x & y\\0 & 1 & z\\0 & 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}\right) = (x,z)$$

is a surjective homomoprhism with kernel $Z(G)$. So $G/Z(G)$ is isomorphic to $M \times M$. Since $M \times M$ is abelian, so is $G/Z(G)$.

Knowing that $G/Z(G)$ is abelian, what can you say about $Z(G/Z(G))$?

Last edited:
Euge said:
Correct. So a typical coset of $Z(G)$ looks like

where $x,y,z\in M$. Note that for every $y\in M$ the above coset is the same as the coset

since

$$\begin{pmatrix}1 & x & y\\0 & 1 & z\\0 & 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}^{-1}\begin{pmatrix}1 & x & 0\\0 & 1 & z\\0 & 0 & 1\end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix}1 & 0 & -xz-y \\0 & 1 & 0\\0 & 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}\in Z(G)$$

When I do the calculations, I get:

$\begin{pmatrix}1 & x & y\\0 & 1 & z\\0 & 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}^{-1}\begin{pmatrix}1 & x & 0\\0 & 1 & z\\0 & 0 & 1\end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix}1 & -x & zx - y\\0 & 1 & -z\\0 & 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}1 & x & 0\\0 & 1 & z\\0 & 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}$

$=\begin{pmatrix}1 & 0 & -y\\0 & 1 & 0\\0 & 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}$

This is still in $Z(G)$, so your argument isn't affected, just wanted to point this out.

Furthermore, two cosets

$$\begin{pmatrix}1 & x_1 & y_1\\0 & 1 & z_1\\0 & 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}Z(G) \quad \text{and}\quad \begin{pmatrix}1 & x_2 & y_2\\0 & 1 & z_2\\0 & 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}$$

are equal if and only if $x_1 = x_2$ and $z_1 = z_2$. Hence, every coset of $G/Z(G)$ is uniquely represented by an element of the form

Matrices of the this form commute, so $G/Z(G)$ is abelian.

I asked you to consider $G/Z(G)$ element-wise because I wanted you to see exactly how the elements look like. But we could have proceeded as follows. The mapping $\Phi : G \to M \times M$ given by

$$\Phi\left(\begin{pmatrix}1 & x & y\\0 & 1 & z\\0 & 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}\right) = (x,z)$$

is a surjective homomoprhism with kernel $Z(G)$. So $G/Z(G)$ is isomorphic to $M \times M$. Since $M \times M$ is abelian, so is $G/Z(G)$.

Knowing that $G/Z(G)$ is abelian, what can you say about $Z(G/Z(G))$?
One of the things about this particular group that should "pop out" at you when you actually multiply two elements in it, is that the $(1,2)$- and $(2,3)$-entries ADD, and the $(1,3)$-entry is just a beastly mess (everything else is a forgone conclusion).

What taking the quotient by $Z(G)$ actually "does" for us, is to send that pesky $(1,3)$-entry to $0$, making what's left of $G$ "additive" (abelian).

Deveno said:
When I do the calculations, I get:

$\begin{pmatrix}1 & x & y\\0 & 1 & z\\0 & 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}^{-1}\begin{pmatrix}1 & x & 0\\0 & 1 & z\\0 & 0 & 1\end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix}1 & -x & zx - y\\0 & 1 & -z\\0 & 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}1 & x & 0\\0 & 1 & z\\0 & 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}$

$=\begin{pmatrix}1 & 0 & -y\\0 & 1 & 0\\0 & 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}$

This is still in $Z(G)$, so your argument isn't affected, just wanted to point this out.

Thanks, I've fixed the typo. :D

Euge said:
So a typical coset of $Z(G)$ looks like

since

$$\begin{pmatrix}1 & x & y\\0 & 1 & z\\0 & 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}^{-1}\begin{pmatrix}1 & x & 0\\0 & 1 & z\\0 & 0 & 1\end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix}1 & 0 & -y \\0 & 1 & 0\\0 & 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}\in Z(G)$$

I haven't really understood why these two cosets are the same for every $y\in M$. (Wondering)
Could you explain it to me?
Euge said:
Furthermore, two cosets

$$\begin{pmatrix}1 & x_1 & y_1\\0 & 1 & z_1\\0 & 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}Z(G) \quad \text{and}\quad \begin{pmatrix}1 & x_2 & y_2\\0 & 1 & z_2\\0 & 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}$$

How have we concluded that every coset of $G/Z(G)$ is uniquely represented by an element of the form $\begin{pmatrix} 1 & x & 0\\0 & 1 & z\\0 & 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}$ ? (Wondering)
Euge said:

Matrices of the this form commute, so $G/Z(G)$ is abelian.

$$\begin{pmatrix} 1 & x_1 & 0\\0 & 1 & z_1\\0 & 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix} 1 & x_2 & 0\\0 & 1 & z_2\\0 & 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix} 1 & x_1+x_2 & x_1z_2\\0 & 1 & z_2+z_1\\0 & 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}$$

$$\begin{pmatrix} 1 & x_2 & 0\\0 & 1 & z_2\\0 & 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix} 1 & x_1 & 0\\0 & 1 & z_1\\0 & 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix} 1 & x_2+x_1 & x_2z_1\\0 & 1 & z_1+z_2\\0 & 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}$$

Are these two results the same? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
I haven't really understood why these two cosets are the same for every $y\in M$. (Wondering)
Could you explain it to me?
Recall that if $G$ is a group and $N$ is a normal subgroup of $G$, then $gN = hN$ if and only if $g^{-1}h\in N$. This was applied your given matrix group $G$, $N = Z(G)$, $g = \begin{pmatrix}1 & x & y\\0 & 1 & z\\0 & 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}$, and $h = \begin{pmatrix}1 & x & 0\\0 & 1 & z\\0 & 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}$.
How have we concluded that every coset of $G/Z(G)$ is uniquely represented by an element of the form $\begin{pmatrix} 1 & x & 0\\0 & 1 & z\\0 & 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}$ ? (Wondering)

First I showed that every coset can be represented in the form

Then I showed that two cosets are the same if and only if their matrix representatives have the same $(1,2)$-entry and $(2,3)$-entry. That is,

$$\begin{pmatrix}1 & x_1 & y_1\\0 & 1 & z_1\\0 & 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}Z(G) = \begin{pmatrix}1 & x_2 & y_2\\0 & 1 & z_2\\0 & 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}Z(G)$$

if and only if $x_1 = x_2$ and $z_1 = z_2$. From these two facts, we deduce that the cosets

$$\begin{pmatrix}1 & x & 0\\0 & 1 & z\\0 & 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}Z(G) \quad (x,z\in M)$$

are distinct for every $x,z\in M$, and these are the only cosets of $Z(G)$.

$$\begin{pmatrix} 1 & x_1 & 0\\0 & 1 & z_1\\0 & 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix} 1 & x_2 & 0\\0 & 1 & z_2\\0 & 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix} 1 & x_1+x_2 & x_1z_2\\0 & 1 & z_2+z_1\\0 & 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}$$

$$\begin{pmatrix} 1 & x_2 & 0\\0 & 1 & z_2\\0 & 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix} 1 & x_1 & 0\\0 & 1 & z_1\\0 & 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix} 1 & x_2+x_1 & x_2z_1\\0 & 1 & z_1+z_2\\0 & 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}$$

Are these two results the same? (Wondering)

No. Sorry, I meant to say that the cosets

commute. :p I've made the appropriate edit to that post.

Note that in your calculations, the $(1,2)$-entry and the $(2,3)$-entry of matrices on the right-hand sides of your equations are the same. So they represent the same coset of $Z(G)$. Consequently, $G/Z(G)$ is abelian.

Euge said:
Recall that if $G$ is a group and $N$ is a normal subgroup of $G$, then $gN = hN$ if and only if $g^{-1}h\in N$. This was applied your given matrix group $G$, $N = Z(G)$, $g = \begin{pmatrix}1 & x & y\\0 & 1 & z\\0 & 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}$, and $h = \begin{pmatrix}1 & x & 0\\0 & 1 & z\\0 & 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}$.

Why do we take this $h$ ? (Wondering)
Euge said:
First I showed that every coset can be represented in the form

How exactly have we shown that? (Wondering)
Euge said:
Then I showed that two cosets are the same if and only if their matrix representatives have the same $(1,2)$-entry and $(2,3)$-entry. That is,

$$\begin{pmatrix}1 & x_1 & y_1\\0 & 1 & z_1\\0 & 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}Z(G) = \begin{pmatrix}1 & x_2 & y_2\\0 & 1 & z_2\\0 & 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}Z(G)$$

if and only if $x_1 = x_2$ and $z_1 = z_2$.
Do we conclude to that because of the following?

Euge said:
So a typical coset of $Z(G)$ looks like

since

(Wondering)
Euge said:
From these two facts, we deduce that the cosets

$$\begin{pmatrix}1 & x & 0\\0 & 1 & z\\0 & 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}Z(G) \quad (x,z\in M)$$

Why do we have that these are the only cosets? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
Why do we take this $h$ ? (Wondering)

How exactly have we shown that? (Wondering) Do we conclude to that because of the following?

(Wondering)

Why do we have that these are the only cosets? (Wondering)
Note that:

$\begin{pmatrix}1&x&y\\0&1&z\\0&0&1\end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix}1&x&0\\0&1&z\\0&0&1\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}1&0&y\\0&1&0\\0&0&1\end{pmatrix}$

If we call the matrix on the LHS, $A$, and the matrices on the RHS $B$ and $Z$, we have:

$A = BZ$, where $Z \in Z(G)$.

This shows that $A \in BZ(G)$, and thus $AZ(G) = BZ(G)$.

Since every coset is of the form $AZ(G)$ for (some) $A \in G$, every coset is of the form $BZ(G)$ (for some $B$, which we can get from $A$). The "special form" matrices $B$ (derived from $A$) form what is called a "traversal" of the cosets, they are "representative representatives" (much like the cosets $k + n\Bbb Z$ for $k \in \{1,2,\dots,n-1\}$ are a traversal of $\Bbb Z/n\Bbb Z$).

When are two cosets the same? That is, when does $AZ(G) = A'Z(G)$? We require:

$AA'^{-1} \in Z(G)$, so:

$\begin{pmatrix}1&x&y\\0&1&z\\0&0&1\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}1&-x'&x'z' - y'\\0&1&-z'\\0&0&1\end{pmatrix} \in Z(G)$

If we do the matrix multiplication, we get:

$AA'^{-1} = \begin{pmatrix}1&x-x'&x'z'-y'-xz'+y\\0&1&z-z'\\0&0&1\end{pmatrix}$

For this to be in the center, $Z(G)$, all we require is that the $(1,2)$-entry and the $(2,3)$-entry be 0. This is equivalent to setting:

$x - x' = 0$
$z - z' = 0$

so we see that two cosets are the same if $x = x'$ and $z = z'$ (the $(1,3)$-entry is a mess, but we don't care, it's in $M$, which is all that matters).

On the other hand, if $x = x'$ and $z = z'$, running the argument in reverse shows $AZ(G) = A'Z(G)$.

So if the $(1,2)$ and $(2,3)$ entries match, we get the same coset. So we may as well pick a $(1,3)$ entry which is easy to work with. 0 is good.

Look hard at the product decomposition at the beginning of my post. It says:

$\begin{pmatrix}1&x&y\\0&1&z\\0&0&1\end{pmatrix}$

is the same as:

$\begin{pmatrix}1&x&0\\0&1&z\\0&0&1\end{pmatrix}$

"up to multiplication by an element of $Z(G)$".

This is really the same type of thing as saying, for an integer $a = qn + r$, that $r$ is the same as $a$ "up to adding an element of $n\Bbb Z$", that is:

$\begin{pmatrix}1&x&y\\0&1&z\\0&0&1\end{pmatrix}$ is congruent to $\begin{pmatrix}1&x&0\\0&1&z\\0&0&1\end{pmatrix}$

modulo the center of $G$.

In other words, we might as well regard $G/Z(G)$ as the set of matrices:

$\left\{\begin{pmatrix}1&x&y\\0&1&z\\0&0&1\end{pmatrix}: y = 0\right\}$

where we multiply "like usual" except for zeroing out the $(1,3)$-entry after we're done (because anything in $Z(G)$, including the matrix:

$\begin{pmatrix}1&0&xz'\\0&1&0\\0&0&1\end{pmatrix}$

"acts like the identity" in $G/Z(G)$-just like $kn$ "acts like the identity (zero)" in $\Bbb Z_n$).

Deveno said:
Note that:

$\begin{pmatrix}1&x&y\\0&1&z\\0&0&1\end{pmatrix} = \begin{pmatrix}1&x&0\\0&1&z\\0&0&1\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}1&0&y\\0&1&0\\0&0&1\end{pmatrix}$

If we call the matrix on the LHS, $A$, and the matrices on the RHS $B$ and $Z$, we have:

$A = BZ$, where $Z \in Z(G)$.

This shows that $A \in BZ(G)$, and thus $AZ(G) = BZ(G)$.

Since every coset is of the form $AZ(G)$ for (some) $A \in G$, every coset is of the form $BZ(G)$ (for some $B$, which we can get from $A$). The "special form" matrices $B$ (derived from $A$) form what is called a "traversal" of the cosets, they are "representative representatives" (much like the cosets $k + n\Bbb Z$ for $k \in \{1,2,\dots,n-1\}$ are a traversal of $\Bbb Z/n\Bbb Z$).

When are two cosets the same? That is, when does $AZ(G) = A'Z(G)$? We require:

$AA'^{-1} \in Z(G)$, so:

$\begin{pmatrix}1&x&y\\0&1&z\\0&0&1\end{pmatrix}\begin{pmatrix}1&-x'&x'z' - y'\\0&1&-z'\\0&0&1\end{pmatrix} \in Z(G)$

If we do the matrix multiplication, we get:

$AA'^{-1} = \begin{pmatrix}1&x-x'&x'z'-y'-xz'+y\\0&1&z-z'\\0&0&1\end{pmatrix}$

For this to be in the center, $Z(G)$, all we require is that the $(1,2)$-entry and the $(2,3)$-entry be 0. This is equivalent to setting:

$x - x' = 0$
$z - z' = 0$

so we see that two cosets are the same if $x = x'$ and $z = z'$ (the $(1,3)$-entry is a mess, but we don't care, it's in $M$, which is all that matters).

On the other hand, if $x = x'$ and $z = z'$, running the argument in reverse shows $AZ(G) = A'Z(G)$.

So if the $(1,2)$ and $(2,3)$ entries match, we get the same coset. So we may as well pick a $(1,3)$ entry which is easy to work with. 0 is good.

Ah ok... I see... (Thinking)

Last edited by a moderator:
Euge said:
Hence, every coset of $G/Z(G)$ is uniquely represented by an element of the form

If $g$ and $h$ are matrices of that form, then $gh$ and $hg$ have the same $(1,2)$- and $(2,3)$-entries. So they represent the same coset of $Z(G)$. Consequently, $G/Z(G)$ is abelian.

So, we have that $ghZ(G)=hgZ(G)$.

Let $A=gZ(G)$ and $B=hZ(G)$, then $$AB=(gZ(G))(hZ(G))=ghZ(G)=hgZ(G)=(hZ(G))(gZ(G))=BA$$ So, we conclude that $G/Z(G)$ is abelian, right? (Wondering)
Euge said:
From these two facts, we deduce that the cosets

Do we have that these are the only cosets of $Z(G)$, since $\begin{pmatrix}1 & x & 0\\0 & 1 & z\\0 & 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}Z(G)=gZ(G), g\in G$ ? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
So, we have that $ghZ(G)=hgZ(G)$.

Let $A=gZ(G)$ and $B=hZ(G)$, then $$AB=(gZ(G))(hZ(G))=ghZ(G)=hgZ(G)=(hZ(G))(gZ(G))=BA$$ So, we conclude that $G/Z(G)$ is abelian, right? (Wondering)
Yes, that's right.

Do we have that these are the only cosets of $Z(G)$, since $\begin{pmatrix}1 & x & 0\\0 & 1 & z\\0 & 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}Z(G)=gZ(G), g\in G$ ? (Wondering)
Yes.

Related to Multiplicative group of matrices is nilpotent

1. What is the definition of the multiplicative group of matrices?

The multiplicative group of matrices is a set of matrices that can be multiplied together in a specific way to form a new matrix. This group includes all invertible matrices, which means that they have a unique inverse matrix that, when multiplied together, results in the identity matrix.

2. How is the multiplicative group of matrices related to the concept of nilpotent matrices?

A nilpotent matrix is a square matrix that, when raised to a certain power, results in the zero matrix. The multiplicative group of matrices is considered nilpotent if all of its elements are nilpotent matrices.

3. What is the significance of the multiplicative group of matrices being nilpotent?

If the multiplicative group of matrices is nilpotent, it means that all of its elements eventually become the zero matrix when multiplied together. This can be useful in certain mathematical calculations and can also provide insights into the properties of matrices.

4. How can the nilpotency of the multiplicative group of matrices be determined?

The nilpotency of the multiplicative group of matrices can be determined by calculating the powers of each individual matrix within the group. If all of these powers eventually result in the zero matrix, then the multiplicative group of matrices is considered nilpotent.

5. Are there any practical applications of the concept of nilpotent multiplicative group of matrices?

Yes, there are several practical applications of this concept in mathematics and physics. For example, nilpotent matrices are used in the study of linear transformations and can be applied to solve systems of linear equations. They are also used in quantum mechanics to represent observables and operators.