Multiplicative inverse of complex numbers

In summary: Multiplying the denominator is just the "difference of squares" formula: [tex]a^2- b^2= (a+ b)(a- b)[/itex].
sarah786
I can't find a proof for the multiplicative inverse of complex numbers... can anybody please tell me the proof (i already know what the formula is)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
If you already know the formule than you're already on the good way. So, I guess the formula you have is [tex]z^{-1}=\frac{\overline{z}}{|z|^2}[/tex].

So the only thing you need to show now is that [tex]zz^{-1}=z^{-1}z=1[/tex]. Just complete the following multiplication:

[tex]zz^{-1}=\frac{z\overline{z}}{|z|^2}=...[/tex]

micromass said:
If you already know the formule than you're already on the good way. So, I guess the formula you have is [tex]z^{-1}=\frac{\overline{z}}{|z|^2}[/tex].

So the only thing you need to show now is that [tex]zz^{-1}=z^{-1}z=1[/tex]. Just complete the following multiplication:

[tex]zz^{-1}=\frac{z\overline{z}}{|z|^2}=...[/tex]

I'll add to what Micromass has said. If you want the inverse of z = a+bi you are looking for a complex number w = x+yi such that

(a+bi)(x+yi) = 1 = 1+0i

Multiplying out the left side:

(ax - by) + (bx + ay)i = 1 + 0i

Equating real and imaginary parts:

ax - by = 1
bx + ay= 0

Solving these for x and y by determinants gives:

[tex]x = \frac{\left|\begin{array}{cc} 1 & -b\\0 & a \end{array}\right|}
{\left|\begin{array}{cc} a & -b\\b & a \end{array}\right|} = \frac{a}{a^2+b^2},\,
y = \frac{\left|\begin{array}{cc} a & 1\\b & 0 \end{array}\right|}
{\left|\begin{array}{cc} a & -b\\b & a \end{array}\right|} = \frac{-b}{a^2+b^2}
[/tex]

This tells you that the inverse of z is

[tex]w = \frac{a}{a^2+b^2} + \frac{-b}{a^2+b^2}i = \frac{1}{a^2+b^2}(a-bi)=\frac{\overline z}{|z|^2}[/tex]

Or, just to put in my oar, to find the multiplicative inverse of a+ bi, write
[tex]\frac{1}{a+ bi}[/itex]
and "rationlize the denominator". Multiply both numerator and denominator by a- bi:
[tex]\frac{1}{a+ bi}\frac{a- bi}{a- bi}= \frac{a- bi}{a^2+ b^2}[/itex]
which is, of course, exactly micromass's
[tex]\frac{\overline{z}}{|z|^2}[/tex].

That is the formula, which you say you already know. The "proof" (that that formula is correct) is just to multiply:
[tex](a+ bi)\frac{a- bi}{a^2+ b^2}= \frac{(a+ bi)(a- bi)}{a^2+ b^2}= \frac{a^2+ b^2}{a^2+ b^2}= 1[/tex]

The multiplicative inverse of a complex number is defined as a number that, when multiplied by the original complex number, results in a product of 1. In other words, it is the reciprocal of the complex number. To prove this, we can use the basic properties of complex numbers.

Let z = a + bi be a complex number, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit.

We want to find a complex number w = c + di such that zw = 1.

Expanding the product zw, we get:

zw = (a + bi)(c + di)

= ac + adi + bci + bdi^2 (using the distributive property)

= ac + adi + bci - bd (since i^2 = -1)

= (ac - bd) + (ad + bc)i

We want this to be equal to 1, so we can equate the real and imaginary parts separately:

ac - bd = 1 (1)

ad + bc = 0 (2)

Solving for c and d in terms of a and b:

c = 1/a (3)

d = -b/a (4)

Substituting (3) and (4) into (2), we get:

a(-b/a) + b(1/a) = 0

-b + b = 0

Therefore, (3) and (4) satisfy (2). This means that w = c + di = 1/a - b/a i is the multiplicative inverse of z = a + bi.

To summarize, the proof for the multiplicative inverse of complex numbers is based on the properties of complex numbers and the algebraic manipulation of the original definition. The resulting inverse is a complex number that satisfies the condition of producing a product of 1 when multiplied by the original complex number.

FAQ: Multiplicative inverse of complex numbers

What is the multiplicative inverse of a complex number?

The multiplicative inverse of a complex number is the number that, when multiplied by the original complex number, will result in a product of 1. It is often denoted as 1/z, where z is the original complex number.

How do you find the multiplicative inverse of a complex number?

To find the multiplicative inverse of a complex number, you can use the formula 1/z = (a - bi)/(a^2 + b^2), where a and b are the real and imaginary parts of the complex number. Another method is to take the complex conjugate of the original number and divide it by the squared magnitude of the original number.

What is the difference between the multiplicative inverse and the reciprocal of a complex number?

The multiplicative inverse of a complex number is the number that, when multiplied by the original complex number, results in a product of 1. The reciprocal of a complex number is simply the inverse of the complex number, without the multiplication by 1. In other words, the reciprocal is just the flipped version of the original number.

Can a complex number have more than one multiplicative inverse?

No, a complex number can only have one multiplicative inverse. This is because the multiplicative inverse is a unique value that is defined by the given complex number. However, a complex number can have multiple reciprocals, as they are simply the flipped version of the original number.

What is the multiplicative inverse of a complex number with a zero imaginary part?

If the imaginary part of a complex number is zero, the multiplicative inverse is simply the reciprocal of the real part of the complex number. In other words, the multiplicative inverse of a complex number with a zero imaginary part is just the inverse of a real number.