Multiplying Series for e^x and ln(1-x/5)

In summary, the conversation discusses using polynomial multiplication with series to find the first three terms of e^{x}*ln(1-\frac{x}{5}). The formula for the product of two power series is given, and the correct terms are calculated to be -x/5-11x^2/50-46x^3/375. However, another answer is suggested and the conversation ends with a request for confirmation.
NastyAccident

Homework Statement

Find the first three terms using multiplication of series:
[tex]e^{x}*ln(1-\frac{x}{5})[/tex]

Homework Equations

Knowledge of Taylor Series

The Attempt at a Solution

Please see the attached pdf (when it gets cleared).

Now, I know that polynomial multiplication is to be used with series... So, this is probably an error in the actual multiplication. Since I've found the series for ln(1-x/5) using the power series definition as well as the maclaurin series definition.

I've been staring at this for the past hour and I really can't see where the mistake is.

The answer that I came up with is:
[tex]-\frac{x}{5}-\frac{11x^{2}}{50}-\frac{3x^{3}}{25}[/tex]
NastyAccident

Attachments

• e^x*ln(1-x:5).pdf
    36 KB · Views: 210
Physics news on Phys.org
So, the product of the sum of two power series A and B, with coefficients a_n, b_n in X is given by Sum from 0 to infinity of c_n x, where c_n is defined as follows (or really c_n is as follows just by multiplying it out)

c_n = sum from 0 to n of (a_p)*(b_n-p). Why would that be true? (I'm sure you recognize this is as the definition of the product of two polynomials. Why does this definition still hold when we have an infinite series (That is, why does it still make sense.)

Using this you should be able to easily compute these terms.

Quantumpencil said:
So, the product of the sum of two power series A and B, with coefficients a_n, b_n in X is given by Sum from 0 to infinity of c_n x, where c_n is defined as follows (or really c_n is as follows just by multiplying it out)

c_n = sum from 0 to n of (a_p)*(b_n-p). Why would that be true? (I'm sure you recognize this is as the definition of the product of two polynomials. Why does this definition still hold when we have an infinite series (That is, why does it still make sense.)

Using this you should be able to easily compute these terms.

So, in essence:
[tex][\sum^{\infty}_{n=0}\left(a_{n}*x^{n}\right)][\sum^{\infty}_{p=0}\left(b_{p}*x^{p}\right)][/tex]

[tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=0}\left(\sum^{\infty}_{p=0}b_{p}*x^{p}\right)a_{n}*x^{n}[/tex]

[tex]\sum^{\infty}_{n=0}\left(\sum^{\infty}_{p=0}a_{n}b_{p}*x^{p+n}\right)[/tex]

[tex]\sum^{\infty}_{q=0}\left(\sum^{\infty}_{n+p=q}a_{n}b_{p}\right)*x^{q}[/tex]

Thus, for my series:

[tex]\sum^{\infty}_{q=0}\left(\sum^{\infty}_{n+p=q}\frac{1}{5^{n+1}}\frac{1}{p!}\right)*x^{q+1}[/tex]

So, I should have the following terms:

-x/5-x^2/(5*1*(1!))-x^2/(5^2*2*(0!))-x^3/(5^2*2*(2!))-x^3/(5^3*3*(1!))

-x/5 - 11x^2/50 - 19x^3/1500

NastyAccident.

The formula is correct, however, I just forgot to have n = 0 while p = 2, r = 2

So, in reality it is:
-x/5-x^2/(5*1*(1!))-x^2/(5^2*2*(0!))-x^3/(5^2*2*(1!))-x^3/(5^3*3*(0!))-x^3/(5^1*1*(2!))

Which simplifies to -x/5-11x^2/50-46x^3/375

Thanks!
NastyAccident

NastyAccident said:

Homework Statement

Find the first three terms using multiplication of series:
[tex]e^{x}*ln(1-\frac{x}{5})[/tex]

Homework Equations

Knowledge of Taylor Series

The Attempt at a Solution

Please see the attached pdf (when it gets cleared).

Now, I know that polynomial multiplication is to be used with series... So, this is probably an error in the actual multiplication. Since I've found the series for ln(1-x/5) using the power series definition as well as the maclaurin series definition.

I've been staring at this for the past hour and I really can't see where the mistake is.

The answer that I came up with is:
[tex]-\frac{x}{5}-\frac{11x^{2}}{50}-\frac{3x^{3}}{25}[/tex]

NastyAccident

The answer I get is:
(-1/5)x -(11/50)x^2 - (46/375)x^3 -(29/625)x^4

please let me know if it still matters for you

best regards

FAQ: Multiplying Series for e^x and ln(1-x/5)

1. What is the purpose of multiplying series?

Multiplying series is used to find the product of two or more series. This can be helpful in various mathematical and scientific calculations, such as finding the area under a curve or solving differential equations.

2. How do you multiply two series together?

To multiply two series, you can use the distributive property. You multiply each term in the first series by each term in the second series, and then add the products together. This process can be repeated for more than two series.

3. Can you multiply series with different coefficients?

Yes, series with different coefficients can be multiplied together. However, this may result in a more complex series, so it is important to simplify the final product if possible.

4. What is the difference between multiplying series and adding series?

Multiplying series involves finding the product of two or more series, while adding series involves finding the sum of two or more series. The processes and formulas used for each are different, and the resulting series will also be different.

5. Is there a limit to the number of series that can be multiplied together?

No, there is no limit to the number of series that can be multiplied together. However, as the number of series increases, the resulting product may become more complex and difficult to work with, so it is important to simplify the solution if possible.

Back