Multirange Ammeter and magnitudes of the resistances

In summary, the resistors are required to convert the galvanometer to a multirange ammeter deflecting full scale with currents of 10.0 A, 1.00 A, and .100 A.
ovoleg
Can someone please help me out with this problem? I am not sure if what I am doing is right

The question:

The resistance of the moving coil of the galvanometer G in Fig. 26.63 is 43.0 ohms, and the galvanometer deflects full scale with a current of 0.0295 A. When the meter is connected to the circuit being measured, one connection is made to the post marked + and the other to the post marked with the desired current range. Find the magnitudes of the resistances R1, R2, and R3 that are required to convert the galvanometer to a multirange ammeter deflecting full scale with currents of 10.0 A, 1.00 A, and 0.100 A.

The picture:

37943?db=v4net.gif

My work:
I assume we are looking for the shunt resistor in each case?
Rsh=(Ifs)*(Rc)/(Ia-Ifs)

For the 10A reading, Rsh=(.0295A)(43ohms)/(10A-.0295A)=.127225ohms

For the 1A reading, Rsh+.127225=(.0295A)(43ohms)/(1A-.0295A)=1.17983ohms

For the .1A reading, Rsh+.1.17983=(.0295A)(43ohms)/(.1A-.0295A)=16.8131ohmsCan someone please help me out :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are going to have three equations each with R1,R2 and R3 in. The way it can be approached is by adding the potential differences over the branches. For the 10A circuit the potential over R1 will be equal to the sum of the potentials over the other branch
[tex]9.97R_1=0.03(43+R_2+R_3)[/tex]

Last edited:
andrevdh said:
You are going to have three equations each with R1,R2 and R3 in. The way it can be approached is by adding the potential differences over the branches. For the 10A circuit the potential over R1 will be equal to the sum of the potentials over the other branch
[tex]9.97R_1=0.03(43+R_2+R_3)[/tex]

Thanks I figured it out now :)

You will get 3 equations 337.983R1=R2+R3+43
32.89R1+32.89R2=43+R3
2.389R1+2.389R2+2.389R3=43

And solving for all 3 I got R1=.179948
R2=1.61971
R3=16.1907

Yay, I feel all fussy inside now. Thanks for the help!:!)

Related to Multirange Ammeter and magnitudes of the resistances

What is a Multirange Ammeter?

A Multirange Ammeter is an electrical measuring instrument used to measure current in a circuit. It has multiple ranges, allowing it to measure a wide range of currents, from very small to very large.

How does a Multirange Ammeter work?

A Multirange Ammeter works by passing the current through a series of shunt resistors, each with a different value. The ammeter then measures the voltage drop across each resistor and calculates the current based on Ohm's law (I = V/R).

Why is it important to use the correct range on a Multirange Ammeter?

Using the correct range on a Multirange Ammeter is important because it ensures accurate measurements. If the range is set too high, the ammeter may not be sensitive enough to measure small currents, and if the range is set too low, the ammeter may be damaged by high currents.

What are the magnitudes of the resistances in a Multirange Ammeter?

The magnitudes of the resistances in a Multirange Ammeter vary depending on the specific model and range. They can range from a few milliohms to several ohms. The resistances are carefully chosen to allow for accurate measurements across a wide range of currents.

How do I select the correct range on a Multirange Ammeter?

To select the correct range on a Multirange Ammeter, you first need to estimate the current you will be measuring. Then, choose the range that is closest to but higher than your estimated current. If the reading is too high, switch to a lower range. If the reading is too low, switch to a higher range. Repeat this process until you get an accurate reading.