Multirange Ammeter magnitudes homework

In summary, the question is asking for the resistances R1, R2, and R3 needed to convert the galvanometer to a multirange ammeter with full scale deflection at currents of 10.0 A, 1.00 A, and 0.100 A. The formula for calculating the shunt resistance is provided and it is mentioned that there are also resistance(s) in series with the meter.
parm09
Can someone please help me out with this problem? I am not sure if what I am doing

The question:

The resistance of the moving coil of the galvanometer G in Fig. 26.73 is 48.0 ohms, and the galvanometer deflects full scale with a current of 0.0200 A. When the meter is connected to the circuit being measured, one connection is made to the post marked + and the other to the post marked with the desired current range. Find the magnitudes of the resistances R1, R2, and R3 that are required to convert the galvanometer to a multirange ammeter deflecting full scale with currents of 10.0 A, 1.00 A, and 0.100 A.

The picture:

attachment.php?attachmentid=20827&stc=1&d=1254342461.gif

I assume we are looking for the shunt resistor in each case?
Rsh=(Ifs)*(Rc)/(Ia-Ifs)
[

Attachments

• 37943.gif
    37943.gif
    5.1 KB · Views: 756
Physics news on Phys.org
parm09 said:
I assume we are looking for the shunt resistor in each case?
Rsh=(Ifs)*(Rc)/(Ia-Ifs)
[

yes. There are also resistance(s) in series with the meter.
for the 10 A case R2+R3 increase the internal resistance of the galvanometer and R1
is the shunt resistance

Ifs = full scale current of galvanometer, Ia = desired current range, Rc = resistance of galvanometer]

To convert the galvanometer to a multirange ammeter, we need to add shunt resistors in parallel with the galvanometer. The equation you provided is correct for finding the value of the shunt resistor. We need to use this equation for each desired current range.

For 10.0 A range:

Rsh = (0.0200 A * 48.0 ohms) / (10.0 A - 0.0200 A) = 0.096 ohms

Therefore, R1 = 0.096 ohms.

For 1.00 A range:

Rsh = (0.0200 A * 48.0 ohms) / (1.00 A - 0.0200 A) = 0.960 ohms

Therefore, R2 = 0.960 ohms.

For 0.100 A range:

Rsh = (0.0200 A * 48.0 ohms) / (0.100 A - 0.0200 A) = 9.60 ohms

Therefore, R3 = 9.60 ohms.

It is important to note that the shunt resistors must be connected in parallel with the galvanometer, with one end connected to the + post and the other end connected to the post marked with the desired current range. This will ensure that the galvanometer will deflect full scale for each desired current range.

Related to Multirange Ammeter magnitudes homework

1. What is a multirange ammeter?

A multirange ammeter is a scientific instrument used to measure the magnitude of electric current. It has the ability to measure current at different ranges, making it versatile for various electrical experiments and applications.

2. How does a multirange ammeter work?

A multirange ammeter works by passing the current through a shunt resistor, which creates a small voltage drop. This voltage is then measured and displayed on a scale of the ammeter. By adjusting the shunt resistor, the ammeter can measure different ranges of current.

3. What are the advantages of using a multirange ammeter?

The main advantage of using a multirange ammeter is its versatility. It can measure a wide range of currents, from small to large, making it suitable for various experiments and applications. It also eliminates the need for multiple ammeters for different ranges, making it more cost-effective.

4. How do I read the measurements on a multirange ammeter?

The measurements on a multirange ammeter are read from the scale marked on the instrument. The scale is calibrated with the shunt resistor values and indicates the actual current value based on the voltage drop across the shunt resistor. It is important to ensure that the correct range is selected before taking the measurement.

5. How do I select the appropriate range on a multirange ammeter?

To select the appropriate range on a multirange ammeter, you need to know the approximate value of the current you are measuring. Start with the highest range and adjust accordingly until the measurement falls within the scale. It is always better to start with a higher range and then switch to a lower range if needed, to avoid damaging the ammeter.