Multisim Transient Analysis for LC parallell circuit

In summary, the homework statement is that the student needs help using Multisim for transient analysis of a simple LC parallell circuit. The problem is that the student is doing something wrong. The student has created this circuit, but the program will not let them rename nets. The student has eliminated the battery and wire, but the current graph is still flat. The student would like help with Multisim.
DrOnline

Homework Statement

The main problem is that I need help using Multisim for transient analysis of a simple LC parallell circuit. I am doing something wrong.

C= 3*10^-5 F
L= 3*10^-3 H

The Capacitor is charged to 10V

What happens to the energy of the capacitor when we connect it in parallel with the inductor. Trace the voltage of the parallel connection and the current of the inductor until about 2ms after connecting.

Use Simulink.

Homework Equations

T=2*pi*sqrt(LC) = 1.89 ms

f= 1/T = 1/(2*pi*sqrt(LC)) = 531 Hz

The Attempt at a Solution

I have created this circuit:

31G6nWe.jpg

I suspect something is wrong already here, because the program will not let me rename nets.

sjX2ecH.jpg

"Preferred net name cannot be modified when a global connector is in connection to the net."

I go to:
Simulate->Analyses->Transient Analysis

I set the stop time to about 5 periods. 0.01s.

Now.. why is there no voltage variable for either component?

U5o5SF7.jpg

I add I(L1) and simulate.

W1BH4qQ.jpg

Can somebody please point out where I am going wrong..? I am sure there are multiple mistakes, I am not too good with Multisim yet.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not familiar with the details of using Multisim, but it appears to me that your circuit has both ends of both components shorted together and grounded. I can't imagine getting any reasonable results from that.

Try eliminating one or the other of the paths to ground.

Alright, I added a battery with no output, and now I can measure more things, but even if I only select the current through the inductor I get a flat graph.

9Ebnw56.jpg

TRLmVh5.jpg

Eliminate the battery. Eliminate the wire. NO connection.

But.. aren't they in series now..?

LiHnd5H.jpg

DrOnline said:
But.. aren't they in series now..?

LiHnd5H.jpg

With only two components, there is no distinction between series and parallel connection.

gneill said:
With only two components, there is no distinction between series and parallel connection.

Bingo. That's what I thought, but since the task specified parallel I tried to come up with something.

The problem with the current graph being flat is still there, would love for some Multisim advice on this!

Thanks for the help thus far!

DrOnline said:
Bingo. That's what I thought, but since the task specified parallel I tried to come up with something.

The problem with the current graph being flat is still there, would love for some Multisim advice on this!

Thanks for the help thus far!

I'll see if I can find someone who knows Multisim to have a look-in.

Related to Multisim Transient Analysis for LC parallell circuit

1. What is Multisim Transient Analysis for LC parallel circuit?

Multisim Transient Analysis is a simulation tool used to analyze the behavior of an LC parallel circuit over time. It allows for the examination of the voltage and current at different points in the circuit as well as the response to different input signals.

2. How does Multisim Transient Analysis work?

Multisim Transient Analysis uses mathematical equations and algorithms to simulate the behavior of the LC parallel circuit. It takes into account the values of the components in the circuit, the initial conditions, and the input signals to calculate the voltage and current values at each time step.

3. What are the benefits of using Multisim Transient Analysis?

Multisim Transient Analysis allows for a quick and efficient way to analyze the behavior of an LC parallel circuit without having to physically build the circuit. It also allows for the examination of different scenarios and the effects of changing component values or input signals on the circuit's response.

4. What are the limitations of Multisim Transient Analysis?

One limitation of Multisim Transient Analysis is that it is a simulation and may not accurately reflect the behavior of the actual circuit. It also does not take into account non-idealities of real-world components and may not provide accurate results for high-frequency circuits.

5. How can Multisim Transient Analysis results be used in practical applications?

The results from Multisim Transient Analysis can be used to design and optimize an LC parallel circuit for a specific application. It can also help in troubleshooting and identifying potential issues in the circuit. In addition, it can serve as a tool for learning and understanding the behavior of circuits before physically constructing them.