Multivariable Calculus 3D co-ord. system help

In summary, to describe the region enclosed by the solid cylinder that lies on or below the plane z=8 and on or above the disk in the xy-plane with a center at the origin and radius 2, we can use the inequalities 0 <= x^2+y^2 <= 4 and 0 <= z <= 8. This represents the cylinder with a circular cross section and height of 8 units.
Luongo
1. Write inequalities to describe the region: The solid cylinder that lies on or below the plane z=8 and on or above the disk in the xy-plane with a center the origin and radius 2.

I don't understand because I'm using stewart's calculus i have no idea what the equation for a cylinder is? they only show you the eqn of spheres (x-h)^2+(y-k)^2+(z-l)^2 = r^2

Physics news on Phys.org
In three dimensions, the general equation for a cylinder with cross section ellipse is x2/a2 + y2/b2 = 1.
If the cross sections are circles then you can say x2 + y2 = r2

VeeEight said:
In three dimensions, the general equation for a cylinder with cross section ellipse is x2/a2 + y2/b2 = 1.
If the cross sections are circles then you can say x2 + y2 = r2

I understand that, however i don't understand how i can have the radius of 2 in this inequality if the cylinder fills the z axis from z=0 to z=8 how do i show this? is it 0<x^2+y^2<8?
where do i show the radius is 2 in this inequality? because the height of the cylinder is 8. the radius is 2. i can't show both? please help it would be greatly appreciated as there is a test on this material soon

The cylinders axis is coincident with the z-axis, so the fact that it lies between z=0 and z=8 tell you its height is 8 units.

You need two inequalities to describe the region enclosed by this cylinder

Start with a simpler problem...what inequality would represent the area enclosed by the circle [itex]x^2+y^2=4[/itex]?

gabbagabbahey said:
The cylinders axis is coincident with the z-axis, so the fact that it lies between z=0 and z=8 tell you its height is 8 units.

You need two inequalities to describe the region enclosed by this cylinder

Start with a simpler problem...what inequality would represent the area enclosed by the circle [itex]x^2+y^2=4[/itex]?

-2 < x^2+y^2 < 2 on the x-axis but i don't understand the z-axis can you just tell me how to incorperate the z=0 to z=8 in this? it doesn't fit in.

No, the smallest possible value of [itex]x^2+y^2[/itex] is zero (remember, [itex]x^2+y^2[/itex] represents the square of distance of the point(x,y) from the z-axis)...the furthest a point inside the circle [itex]x^2+y^2=4[/itex] can be from the z-axis is if it lies on the perimeter of the circle (2 units away from the z-axis), and the closest it can be to the z-axis is if it actually lies on the z-axis...so [itex]0\leq x^2+y^2\leq 4[/itex]...make sense?

Points inside the cylinder will satisfy the same inequailty right?

They will also be somewhere between z=0 and z=8 right?

So...[itex]0\leq x^2+y^2\leq 4[/itex] and [itex]0\leq z\leq 8[/itex] describes the cylinder...make sense?

yes, that makes sense because 0<x^2+y^2<4 describes the circle portion of the cylinder, but what is the point of saying it's greater than 0 if 0 is the lowest and would just confuse more could you also say x^2+y^2=4, 0<z<8?. because if it was 1<x^y+y^2<4 it would be a cylinder with a hole kind of like a toilet paper roll? but for cylinders do you always have to state the inequality for z independently because otherwise you would simply get a circular plane in R^3? thank you so much for this i really do appreciate it i was so confused but you cleared it up i think!

Last edited:

Related to Multivariable Calculus 3D co-ord. system help

1. What is Multivariable Calculus 3D co-ordinate system?

Multivariable Calculus 3D co-ordinate system is a mathematical concept that deals with functions of several variables. It involves studying the behavior of functions in three-dimensional space and using a coordinate system to represent points and visualize relationships between variables.

2. How is Multivariable Calculus 3D co-ordinate system different from regular calculus?

Multivariable Calculus 3D co-ordinate system is an extension of regular calculus which deals with functions in one variable. In Multivariable Calculus, we work with functions of several variables and use vector notation and geometric interpretations to solve problems in three-dimensional space.

3. What are some real-world applications of Multivariable Calculus 3D co-ordinate system?

Multivariable Calculus 3D co-ordinate system has many real-world applications, such as in physics, engineering, economics, and computer graphics. It is used to model and solve problems involving motion, optimization, and surface and volume calculations.

4. What are some common techniques used in Multivariable Calculus 3D co-ordinate system?

Some common techniques used in Multivariable Calculus 3D co-ordinate system include partial derivatives, directional derivatives, gradient vectors, multiple integrals, and line and surface integrals. These techniques allow us to analyze and solve functions in three-dimensional space.

5. What are some useful resources for learning Multivariable Calculus 3D co-ordinate system?

There are many resources available for learning Multivariable Calculus 3D co-ordinate system, such as textbooks, online courses, and video tutorials. Some recommended resources include "Multivariable Calculus" by James Stewart, "Khan Academy" online course, and "3Blue1Brown" YouTube channel. It is also helpful to practice problems and seek guidance from a tutor or teacher.