Multivariable calculus and electrodynamics

In summary, the speaker is a 16-year-old self-learner who is interested in physics and math. They have been using various resources to learn mechanics and calculus and are now looking for recommendations for textbooks or resources to learn electrodynamics. Some suggestions given by others include Purcell - Electricity and Magnetism, Griffiths or Jackson at the graduate level, and David Dugdale's Essentials of Electromagnetism. They also mention the Physics Forums as a helpful resource. The speaker also expresses confidence in their learning but is open to any suggestions for improvement.
guitarphysics
Hi, I'm trying to learn physics and math on my own (I'm 16, bored with what I'm taught in school, and on vacation right now, so I have some free time). Over the past 4 months or so I've started more seriously learning, and I think I've been doing fairly well. To learn mechanics, I've been using An Introduction to Mechanics by Kleppner and Kolenkow (which is amazing, even though the end-of-the-chapter problems are sometimes extremely hard) and I've consulted the Feynman Lectures on Physics for extra insight or if I am confused. I've also been watching Walter Lewin's lectures on MIT Opencourseware, and they're pretty good. To learn calculus, I read Calculus Made Easy by Thompson, I watched a lot of Khan Academy, and I recently started studying from Differential and Integral Calculus by Courant (which is the most in-depth look at math I have ever seen, and I've loved it. It is a completely different world from how math is taught in high school, and it took some getting used to, but I think the hard work has been worth it). I was wondering if anyone could recommend a (or some) textbooks or resources to learn electrodynamics from. Also, I sort of know multivariable calculus, but I want to get into it more deeply, particularly vector analysis (which I have to do if I'm going to start learning about electrodynamics). I'm thinking of getting the second volume of Differential and Integral Calculus, but if anyone could recommend more things that would be great.
Thanks very much for your help.

PS. I feel like I'm understanding everything I'm learning and I'm pretty confident that I'm learning everything correctly and from pretty good sources. However, I'm not completely sure, and if anybody has any ideas on anything I could be doing better, that would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Purcell - Electricity and Magnetism seems to be a generally accepted good introduction to this topic, the graduate level text is Griffiths or Jackson, to my knowledge.

also:

https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=225
Bottom of page, you can filter by topic, ie: "Calculus" or "Analysis" etc.

Griffiths is intermediate/upper level undergraduate level, not graduate level.

Well if you can handle Kleppner then I would second the reccomendation of Purcell once you have a grasp of vector calculus; while applying vector calculus to electromagnetism is interesting in its own right, the way relativity is used to explain the fields of moving charges in Purcell is so beautiful you will have thanked yourself later for working through the book. Best of luck and make sure you get the latest edition because it is totally worth it.

jtbell said:
Griffiths is intermediate/upper level undergraduate level, not graduate level.

Thanks for the clarification, I haven't read into either Jackson or Griffiths..

i recommend David Dugdale's Essentials of Electromagnetism as the step between say Halliday and Resnick and Jackson. The nice thing about it is that it starts from Maxwell's Equations. Another book with a very interesting point of view is Ohanian's Classical Electrodynamics, because it gets to Maxwell's equations by requiring consistency with relativity.

FAQ: Multivariable calculus and electrodynamics

1. What is multivariable calculus and how is it different from single variable calculus?

Multivariable calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with functions of multiple variables. It extends the concepts and techniques of single variable calculus to functions with two or more variables. In single variable calculus, we work with functions that have only one input and one output, while in multivariable calculus, we work with functions that have multiple inputs and multiple outputs.

2. What are some real-life applications of multivariable calculus?

Multivariable calculus has a wide range of applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. It is used to model and analyze complex systems with multiple variables, such as fluid flow, electric and magnetic fields, optimization problems, and machine learning algorithms.

3. How does multivariable calculus relate to electrodynamics?

Electrodynamics is a branch of physics that studies the interactions between electrically charged particles. Multivariable calculus is used to describe and analyze the behavior of electric and magnetic fields, which are fundamental concepts in electrodynamics. The equations of electrodynamics, such as Maxwell's equations, involve multivariable calculus concepts such as partial derivatives and vector calculus.

4. What are some important concepts in multivariable calculus and electrodynamics?

Some important concepts in multivariable calculus include partial derivatives, multiple integrals, vector calculus, and Taylor series. In electrodynamics, important concepts include electric and magnetic fields, electric potential, and Maxwell's equations.

5. How can one improve their understanding of multivariable calculus and electrodynamics?

One can improve their understanding of these subjects by practicing problems, working through examples, and seeking help from a tutor or professor if needed. It is also helpful to have a strong foundation in single variable calculus and linear algebra, as these concepts are often used in multivariable calculus and electrodynamics. Additionally, reading textbooks and online resources can provide a deeper understanding of the concepts and their applications.